GO 500 does not work after maps update — TomTom Community

GO 500 does not work after maps update

Hello,
I bought a tomtom go 500 some years ago. It worked perfectly until now, but today when I started updating it, the screen turned up in black, I can read TOMTOM but whitout working, the characteristic "drum" sound lasted too much, different than usual sound of the device. There is no way to make it work. Now it is not recognized by the PC. I tried to solve the issue by checking a youtube tutorial "how to recover your TomTOM" but it still doesn´t work, I did not get the black screen with white letters as is indicated in the tutoral.Could you please let me how I can solve this problem? the device worked perfectly until I started updating it.
Thanks a lot

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,061
    Superusers
    Hi
    @marcosgroca
    The early 8GB NAV4 devices... The Maps fitted easily onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the 8GB NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....

The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 8.6GB
    I do not think you will find enough space deleting files to install the full Europe Map... The device also uses the onboard Memory for the Operating System + 400MB is used for working space and is considered the bare minimum free space for the device to operate....

@VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators will pick this up on Monday and add a small Map to the Account to get past the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....

For More Info & Options See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,705 Moderator
    Hi @marcosgroca

A small map of UK and ROI has been added to your account. I should be offered as a download in MyDrive Connect.

Thanks, Vikram
  • marcosgrocamarcosgroca Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]

Hi @VikramK, thanks for your attention. The problem is that the computer has stopped recognizing my tomtom, even though I plug it into the computer it doesn't recognize it and I can't see it, so I can't download the updates you have given me. There is a file or something that I can download to the SD and then put the SD in the TOMTOM. I do not know what to do. Thanks again for your help.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,849
    Superuser
    Hi @marcosgroca

You need to put the SD card into the GO500 so that the software can download the map to it. You do not download the map to the SD Card then put it in the GO500.

Has the SD card been formatted by the GO500 for Maps.

Doug
  • marcosgrocamarcosgroca Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]

hi, thanks for replying. The card is formatted and put in the tomtom. The problem is that I connect the tomtom to the computer but the computer does not recognize it. My drive says that the tomtom is not connected, so I can't do anything.
    The screen goes black with the tomtom lettering and when you keep the power button pressed it loops, I can't do anything else.
    fl211l3ewy47.jpg
    suw9vrcyxxwz.png