Android Auto & TomTom GO Navigation - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Android Auto & TomTom GO Navigation

Comments

• halberhalber Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    Wie kann ich Betatester für Tomtom Go auf Android Auto werden?
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 303 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    I've noticed there is no join beta option on the app, which would suggest it's a closed beta, which means we probably won't get it until its officially released :(, thus meaning I'm paying a yearly fee for an app I can't currently use :(

Looking like I'll have to be testing the other app that has already got theirs working with AA, until TT allows users to test theirs
  • Dj_rjayDj_rjay Posts: 1 [Novice Seeker]
    Jürgen wrote: »
    Following Google's announcement, we’d like to share that TomTom is participating in Google’s Early Access program for Android Auto. As early access partners, GO Navigation will release Android Auto functionality to beta testers by the end of this year. We will share more information as it becomes available.

I would like to be a Beta Tester please.
    U use Google maps on Android Auto and I hate it
  • Start2passStart2pass Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    id like to be a beta tester for tomtom go app with android auto I'm a driving instructor and have a Samsung s20 and a new Clio with 9.3-inch screen
  • Oldace2000Oldace2000 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Add me to the list of those wishing to be a beta tester.. B)
  • r_huarte_68r_huarte_68 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Si necesitan Beta Tester para España, tienen un voluntario.
  • GeorgeMumfordGeorgeMumford Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    edited December 2020
    Following Google's announcement, we’d like to share that TomTom is participating in Google’s Early Access program for Android Auto. As early access partners, GO Navigation will release Android Auto functionality to beta testers by the end of this year. We will share more information as it becomes available.

Hello @Jürgen, any update on this please? We're only 9 days from the end of the year and we don't appear to have had an update since August. Very eager and very much looking forward to this and would like information on how to apply to the Beta group please.
  • McDuckMcDuck Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    if it doesn't appear I won't be renewing, I'm not a fan of Google or Waze but they integrate to the car. I much prefer TomTom even paying for it.

An update would be nice, also happy to beta test.
    Hello @Jürgen ?
    What's the latest please?
  • AndyBuzzHunterAndyBuzzHunter Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Any news on when TomTom go will have Android auto integration
    well i hope they do a better job than the other company producing android auto integration, which is currently not that useful
    Any news on when TomTom go will have Android auto integration

Looks like we've been forgotten about
    walkerx wrote: »
    well i hope they do a better job than the other company producing android auto integration, which is currently not that useful

I agree, I tried Sygic out of interest and it was not even a comparison compared to how good Tom Tom Go is. Lets just hope their implementation with Android Auto is as good as the mobile app default version is!
    edited January 8
    Are there any testimonials from beta testers to Tomtom go under AA?

Mod edit: Machine translated(German)
    edited January 8
    i've beta tested their competitors app in android auto and it was absolute rubbish to the point I reverted back to google maps within a few minutes, so i'm hoping that when tomtom release theirs its as fully functional on AA as it would be in normal use without any extra costs (the competitor looks like they may add theirs as a premium add-on)
  • Start2passStart2pass Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    maybe it would be worth tomtom adding a link to where we can complain to android auto and apply the pressure to them to allow tomtom to be added :)
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 267 [Exalted Navigator]
    That would be Google and good luck with that.
  • ReTechNLReTechNL Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    I think its easyer for tomtom to ignore the question then to admit that they are behind on the development. We will just have to have patience and hope it will be somewhere before 2022.
    Start2pass wrote: »
    maybe it would be worth tomtom adding a link to where we can complain to android auto and apply the pressure to them to allow tomtom to be added :)

TomTom are working on Android Auto implementation, this is what the thread is about
    Thanks for your comment, I hope tomtom will be as functional as in the original version
  • pHD77ttpHD77tt Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    For every passing month Google Maps is slowly becoming a very competitive and likeable alternative to the TomTom GO app to the point that I am actually considering ditching TomTom GO altogether and save myself a little money each year.

Since I got myself a car with Android Auto support last year I've truly enjoyed the ability to use voice commands and not really have to worry whether a POI is there or not. I can even ask for directions to some location just using the name of the company and city.

Even route planning on Google Maps has become significantly better and more intelligent these past few months, suggesting very logical routes compared to what I've seen with TomTom GO lately.

Whatever TomTom has in mind with the AA version of the TomTom GO app, the company have a series of challenges on their hands in order to convince users why they should be using THEIR platform instead of the one from Google.

Currently, the only thing I find better on the TomTom app is the look of the map when being guided to a destination. As for POI, voice commands and frequency of updates... now, THAT needs a lot of work, if they are to compete with the "free" Google Maps alternative. (I say "free" because your phone is "paying" by constantly sending data to Google.)

Whether I'm staying with TomTom or not now all depends on how great their Android Auto app will work. TomTom, you better not let me down.
  • PokeiardaPokeiarda Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I agree TomTom seems to have lost the plot with their maps. Speed limits wrong, pointless use of slower single track routes and trying to keep you on the same route (turning you around) when if you select alternative routes it sends you in the direction you are going saving 25 minutes.
    Still not sure google has sorted there routes out though. They seem to favour shorter rather than faster (irrespective of filters).
    Can only wait and see. Google hammers the data compared to TomTom but if the AA version isn't as good as the GO version I may have to switch too.
    I find google works a lot better and you can select routes, yes you don't get all the speed cameras, but I use another app that overlays and would be the same for TT, so not a lot missing from there.

Yes there have been a few mis-routes with Google but you get that with TT as well. I agree TT looks better, but Google hasn't deleted landmarks or locations like TT have (and have no inclination of adding back in). For proof look at A75 just past Crocketford, the loch is missing from all TT maps, the same with a river further north, but these are on Google maps.

There are many other areas like this, but no point in flagging to TT as I have years ago and they've not updated their maps and just said they do remove land marks and features from maps for space

• JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,114
    Community Manager
    Hello @Jürgen, any update on this please? We're only 9 days from the end of the year and we don't appear to have had an update since August. Very eager and very much looking forward to this and would like information on how to apply to the Beta group please.
    Sorry I was away on holiday.

Android Auto is not open to any external apps yet (other than Google Maps and Waze). But we are actively working on Android Auto support.

• Just1Just1 Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    Android Auto is not open to any external apps yet (other than Google Maps and Waze). But we are actively working on Android Auto support.

Sorry to say that but it is not true:

On my car testing Sygic on Android Auto (beta public version)

xbxz5bd01i7w.jpg

@Just1 it's only beta on sygic and at the moment it's actually useless to use.

Addresses from contacts show as being over 2.5K away and can't be routed to
    Search option is absolutely useless and won't work on postcode or street name
    Can't scroll screen using the touchscreen on car
    Can't select destination using the touchscreen on car
    Not listed as a navigational map like warez or google maps, so can't easily switch between them
    You have to request to join there beta page on facebook (if you are lucky to be accepted on it) to be able to send feedback or bug issues.
    It also looks like you may have to pay extra for the feature like you do with mirrorlink
    If you don't activate the trial for beta then you get no audio for diretions.

At moment the beta is not suitable for general use