Europe Map V10.60 Size 8183MB — TomTom Community

Europe Map V10.60 Size 8183MB

whiruswhirus Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
edited January 11 in Map installation
If I install "Europe Map V10.60 Size 8183MB" is there any point to then install Greece, Italy, Turkey etc since I already have them in the Europe map?

Install to My Device or Memory Card or duplicate on both?

Brgds

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,187
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @whirus

There is no point in loading another map to cover the dame maps as you already have with the full Europe Map. If your current map is on the internal memory and laggy it is possible that you have less than 400mb of Free Internal Memory which is the recommended minimal free memory you should have as it is used by the system for operational purposes.

If you have an extra memory card fitted it should be 16gb or maximum 32gb and class 10 also you will not be able to put the same map on the extra memory card if it is on the internal memory.

Maybe @VikramK or @lampard will pick this up and add a small map to your account which you can download to the units internal memory. Your full Europe map will then go on the extra memory card and with plenty of free memory available the unit should run normally. The extra map also helps avoid the no Maps found situation if you do updates to maps one at a time.

Doug
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @whirus

The Map being on the SD card or internal memory should make little if any noticeable difference to performance if it is a good quality SD card. The Full Europe map should work fine on the internal memory.

As you haver a GO6200 if I was you I would download one of the Iceland, Iraq or Venezuela maps onto the unit so that it is on the internal memory. They are all very very small maps and should be just left there. The reason is that with the small map there then if during an update of your main map, ie Full Europe, then if there is a problem and you lose the map you can run the unit normally as it has the small map there. When this occurs you can go to Add Maps and reload the lost map. When you update a map the original version is deleted to make space for the new version and so if there is an issue during the update that is why you can finish up with the map gone.

Reading the above it would appear you have loads of maps added to the unit. There is no benefit having the other Europe maps on the device if you have the main Full Europe map. The only reason TT offer the other smaller Europe maps is for people who have limited memory available and so can work with maps with parts of Europe not on them.

Doug

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 415 [Supreme Pioneer]
    the coverage is going to remain the same so why waste space by duplicating them
  • whiruswhirus Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    edited January 8
    the coverage is going to remain the same so why waste space by duplicating them

Curiously Europe East + West is smaller in size than Europe. what if one of the drive's fail, maybe I should duplicate Europe on both Internal and SD. Maybe the device is less laggy with a smaller map.
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @whirus

There is no point in loading another map to cover the dame maps as you already have with the full Europe Map. If your current map is on the internal memory and laggy it is possible that you have less than 400mb of Free Internal Memory which is the recommended minimal free memory you should have as it is used by the system for operational purposes.

If you have an extra memory card fitted it should be 16gb or maximum 32gb and class 10 also you will not be able to put the same map on the extra memory card if it is on the internal memory.

Maybe @VikramK or @lampard will pick this up and add a small map to your account which you can download to the units internal memory. Your full Europe map will then go on the extra memory card and with plenty of free memory available the unit should run normally. The extra map also helps avoid the no Maps found situation if you do updates to maps one at a time.

Doug
  • whiruswhirus Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    edited January 8
    16kjx0l5mdfw.png

This is my current setup (Prior to receiving the info from you guys)
    What does annoy me is that after every update of the TomTom software, all my maps are gone. I'm going to assume that on the internal drive runs faster than the memory Card, so will probably run with the Europe Map on the internal drive in future. Regards Map Updates over wifi, it makes sense just to have the 1 Map to update, especially if I'm on the road. :)

Many thanks for the information.

NB: It's a GO 6200 with 16GB internal, so I now have 702MB free. 32GB memory Card
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,097 Moderator
    Hi @whirus

If you could send me the serial number of your device through a private message, then I can add a small map?

Thanks, Vikram
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @whirus

The Map being on the SD card or internal memory should make little if any noticeable difference to performance if it is a good quality SD card. The Full Europe map should work fine on the internal memory.

As you haver a GO6200 if I was you I would download one of the Iceland, Iraq or Venezuela maps onto the unit so that it is on the internal memory. They are all very very small maps and should be just left there. The reason is that with the small map there then if during an update of your main map, ie Full Europe, then if there is a problem and you lose the map you can run the unit normally as it has the small map there. When this occurs you can go to Add Maps and reload the lost map. When you update a map the original version is deleted to make space for the new version and so if there is an issue during the update that is why you can finish up with the map gone.

Reading the above it would appear you have loads of maps added to the unit. There is no benefit having the other Europe maps on the device if you have the main Full Europe map. The only reason TT offer the other smaller Europe maps is for people who have limited memory available and so can work with maps with parts of Europe not on them.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,668
    Superusers
    Hi
    @whirus
    whirus wrote: »
    (Snip)Regards Map Updates over Wi-Fi, it makes sense just to have the 1 Map to update, especially if I'm on the road. (Snip)
    Just my thoughts... I would NEVER update 8+GB of critical data using a Hotel Wi-Fi or Smartphone Wi-Fi Hot Spot....
    If you Micro SDHC Memory card is Class 10 there should not be a noticeable speed difference in the way the device runs....

Further to Doug's post... There is little point in having duplicate Maps installed as there is only ONE active Map in use at anyone time, no mater how many Map are installed you have to switch the Maps manually to use another Map....
    whirus wrote: »
    NB: It's a GO 6200 with 16GB internal, so I now have 702MB free. 32GB memory Card.
    400MB is considered the bare minimum Free working space... The more Free working space available the faster the device will run....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM