Via 1525 Display: make screen mimic view out the car windshield, not map — TomTom Community

Via 1525 Display: make screen mimic view out the car windshield, not map

We have a TomTom Via 1525M 5" TouchScreen. Something happened to the display settings and we can't get it to revert back to display the way we want it to. We want it to mimic what we see when we look out the windshield -- so that if you're just a few yards from an intersection, what shows on screen looks like you're right on top of that intersection. What it is giving us instead is a map view, like what you'd see if you were following us in a helicopter, looking down.

We want this:
41tqjhj4a62o.jpg

Not this:
f64vb336goib.jpg

Tagged:

Best Answer

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,727
    Superusers
    edited January 3 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @AHunter3
    Maybe useful....
    The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are Map Centric (Tomtom Speak) Route planning has the highest priority... When the device starts-up or if the route is cleared, the device defaults to the 2D North-up overview planning map screen....

To change the Map view tap on the direction of Travel Icon, above the Manual Zoom level + and - Signs
    To toggle between the North-up Overview Planning Map and the Driving Map view chosen in the Setting menus i.e... 2D in direction of travel or 3D

mulqpd39pdff.jpg
    The direction of Travel Icon is thinner more pointed in the 2D in direction of travel or 3D Driving view

i82ldz9u5cf1.png
    The sequence when tapping on the 'Direction of Travel Icon' as I see it... I'm driving using my chosen driving view in the Setting Menus...
    For me 2D (In direction of Travel) + Zoom... Based on road type
    1st Tap --> North-up Overview planning Map
    2nd Tap --> 2D (Indirection of Travel) Max Zoom ???
    3rd Tap --> Return to my chosen driving view (2D (In direction of Travel)) Normal Zoom....

ATB YFM

Answers

Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi
    @AHunter3
    Welcome to the site....
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Motorway exit previews....
    Select... Show previews only....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • AHunter3AHunter3 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for the answer but no that didn't / doesn't help. I may not have been clear. Let me try again.

I happen to have an older GPS that, although it is badly worn out and the screen doesn't accept input any more half the time, does at least show the view that we want.

This is how we want it to look and behave. Note that what appears inside the TomTom is a direct analog of what you see out the actual window — you could superimpose the TomTom image directly on the photo of the street!

62kqfwmqh0yy.jpg

This is how the newer TomTom is now displaying — it wasn't always doing this but we can't figure out how to get the other view back! Note that what appears inside the TomTom screen, far from looking like what you see out your windshield, is more like a map, and you can't tell where you are on it as easily. In this example it looks like the car has already gone *past* the intersection where it should have turned:

chw4x3ex35ku.jpg

How do we get it to display like the upper photo?
    Superusers
    edited January 2
    HI
    @AHunter3
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance --> Guidance View....
    Choose... 3D
    Tap the ( ^ ) Icon Screen top right to exit....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    edited January 3
    Well that, at least, makes me feel less stupid.

I found that setting before posting this question here. It was *already set* to 3D at the time. The first time, I swear I toggled it — to 2D then back to 3D and that worked — once.

But then it again reverted to the flat / overhead from a helicopter view like you see in the second photo in my previous post.

And since then when I've gone back to Guidance View to try the same trick, it doesn't help.

Having said that, I will try it again. But is there something that can get corrupted and require a reset or something of that ilk, that could be causing it to ignore the 3D setting like this?

EDIT: well damned if it didn't work. I swear I'd already tried that, but let's see if it will stay fixed (and/or let me switch it back to 3D as need be in the future). Thanks again!
    Superusers
    edited January 3 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @AHunter3
    Maybe useful....
    The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are Map Centric (Tomtom Speak) Route planning has the highest priority... When the device starts-up or if the route is cleared, the device defaults to the 2D North-up overview planning map screen....

To change the Map view tap on the direction of Travel Icon, above the Manual Zoom level + and - Signs
    To toggle between the North-up Overview Planning Map and the Driving Map view chosen in the Setting menus i.e... 2D in direction of travel or 3D

mulqpd39pdff.jpg
    The direction of Travel Icon is thinner more pointed in the 2D in direction of travel or 3D Driving view

i82ldz9u5cf1.png
    The sequence when tapping on the 'Direction of Travel Icon' as I see it... I'm driving using my chosen driving view in the Setting Menus...
    For me 2D (In direction of Travel) + Zoom... Based on road type
    1st Tap --> North-up Overview planning Map
    2nd Tap --> 2D (Indirection of Travel) Max Zoom ???
    3rd Tap --> Return to my chosen driving view (2D (In direction of Travel)) Normal Zoom....

ATB YFM
    Interesting... www.tomtom.com account details page has our two devices listed as follows:

"Start 25" -- this is the old one

"Start 52" -- this is the one whose display settings we're trying to fix.

I thought it was called a Via 1525. ?!??
    Superusers
    Hi
    @AHunter3
    Are you using MyDrive connect to view your device ???
    If 'Yes' Tap the Cogwheel Icon screen top right to access the Setting Menus....
    Check if the 'Country' is set to 'United States (English)'

ATB YFM
    @YamFazMan yes after several excursions into the local community, I can verify that the instructions you gave for tapping the "^" icon three times works as described, and now we can get the display to behave the way we want, reliably.

I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to drive around with the map view (any of its variants) on screen, but as long as I can get to the view I want, I can live with this.