Navigation Addresses — TomTom Community

Navigation Addresses

Purchased a 6200 for someone dear to me who starts a new job in the New Year necessitating driving to various places. Her car does not have sat nav. This model came recommended by numerous auto reviews and users.

Whilst setting it up and testing it out I typed in my home address but the 6200 could not find it. Neither could it find a large block of flats nearby. All of these flats/town houses were built 30+years ago. So I tried the address on my 2014 Ford Focus Sat Nav and it couldn't find it either. I then tried just the post code in both Tom Tom and the Ford Focus. The Focus guided me right into my car park and was near door to door for the other flats. Tom Tom guided me to a place 200+ yards away and right past the entrance to my home. It also kept telling me to turn next left (or right) as opposed to keeping or bearing left/right as per the Focus. This would be confusing if someone didn't know the road and was listening to instructions as they could easily have turned into cul de sacs or entrance ways to shops.

With the nearby flats, Tom Tom placed me on the same road as the flats but, again, some 200 yards away and at a place which isn't in view of these flats. I also tried my brothers address. Tom Tom got the estate but not the house number and was, again, about 200 yards adrift and not near my brother's house. My Ford Focus also got within a few doors, leading me past their front door before stating I reached my destination.

Tom Tom also cannot find a few nearby restaurants, which have been in business for at least 10 years.

Suffice to say, Google, Waze etc also found all of these addresses and businesses easily without having to rely on post code only.

The 6200 is currently retailing at £299 on Amazon. Fortunately, I didn't pay that amount for it but I don't how such a premium, dedicated Sat Nav can be so poor in detail? Is up to date mapping accuracy sacrificed for mapping technology? Does it only recognise the first 3 or 4 characters/digits of a post code? I am ordering a Garmin to see if this has the same navigational problems because I don't want my dear lady having to keep checking google maps to avoid being parked hundreds of yards away from her destination. Very very worrying.

Am I the only one? Is there a serious mapping issue with Tom Toms? New estates and roads I can understand but not places which have been part of the city landscape for over 30 years.

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,240
    Superuser
    Hi @Southwestuser

There could be a couple of issues here. Firstly have you taken the unit outside yet so that it has been able to lock onto the Sats and so knows exactly where it is.

Regarding Search it is suggested that you have the Search adoption set to Quick Search as the Step by Step option has issues with Postcodes.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Change Step to Step to Quick. It is recommended you leave on this settings at all times.

If you are just inputting the Postcode it will indicate a position that is the centre of that Postcode. In my case half way along my road but positions correctly if I add the house number. If you want to identify a house number at a Postcode input AA101BB XX. Do not include gap in Postcode but leave a gap before House number.

The unit should recognise the whole Postcode.

Re Restaurants what is listed if you just Type Restaurant. If the TT knows exactly where it is it should list the Restaurants nearby based on distance from you. You can also get it to search for them in a Town or Near your destination or along a route.

Doug
  • SouthwestuserSouthwestuser Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks, Doug.

Tried what you said. Drove out to a place with the dear lady. Programmed Tom Tom with post code (no gap) and flat number (separated by a space). Set Focus Sat Nav at the same time. Both gave same routes back. Tom Tom was a bit more accurate on its voice guidance (Focus would have sent me down a wrong road if I hadn't checked the nav map). Focus again led me into the car park to the complex. Tom Tom did what it did before, sent me nearly 200 yards down the road. The complex is set off a road which is recognised by Tom Tom but it can't pick up the exact location.

After cancelling the routes and using the normal map function, the Focus Nav kept track of my journey moving the map in accordance with the direction of travel. The Tom Tom map, in contrast, did not move and the direction arrow quickly disappeared off the bottom of the map. There may be something in the settings or something else I need to do to get Tom Tom to track my journey in moving map view but at the moment it is useless as a locator.

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,703
    Superusers
    edited January 2
    Hi
    @Southwestuser
    (Snip) After cancelling the routes and using the normal map function, the Focus Nav kept track of my journey moving the map in accordance with the direction of travel. The Tomtom map, in contrast, did not move and the direction arrow quickly disappeared off the bottom of the map. There may be something in the settings or something else I need to do to get Tomtom to track my journey in moving map view but at the moment it is useless as a locator
    The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are Map Centric (Tomtom Speak) Route planning has the highest priority... When the device starts-up or if the route is cleared, the device defaults to the 2D North-up overview planning map screen....

To change the Map view tap on the direction of Travel Icon, above the + and - Signs
    To toggle between the North-up Overview Planning Map and the Driving Map view chosen in the Setting menus i.e... 2D in direction of travel or 3D

mulqpd39pdff.jpg
    The direction of Travel Icon is thinner more pointed in the 2D in direction of travel or 3D Driving view

i82ldz9u5cf1.png
    The sequence when tapping on the 'Direction of Travel Icon' as I see it... I'm driving using my chosen driving view in the Setting Menus...
    For me 2D (In direction of Travel) + Zoom... Based on road type
    1st Tap --> North-up Overview planning Map
    2nd Tap --> 2D (Indirection of Travel) Max Zoom ???
    3rd Tap --> Return to my chosen driving view (2D (In direction of Travel)) Normal Zoom

Cut & Paste from one of my previous posts
    Driving using the North-up Overview Planning Map
    My Normal Setting....
    2D Rotate in direction of travel
    Zoom... Based on road type

I planned and calculated a route
    Tapped the direction of travel chevron to select the North-up overview map
    tapped the + sign 4 times to set the required zoom level....

Set off on the route....
    The cursor that represent the current location does not remain centred like in 2D or 3D
    it's sits inboard from the edge of the screen about 20/25 percent and moves around the sides of the screen depending on the direction of travel, but it always stays on the screen (I think this is to show as much of the route as possible)

The route was about 5 Miles, the zoom level remained normal as for using 'Zoom Based on road type' throughout the journey

Maybe useful....
    GO 6200 Wi-Fi User Manual....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014295500-GO-6200-Wi-Fi-User-Manual

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    edited January 3
    Thank you YamFazMan. Very helpful.

Pity the unit doesn't have an easier way to toggle between 3D/2D and 2D moving map but hey ho. 2D moving map worked very well including zooming in on junctions and roundabouts. The unit impressively showed the appropriate turn off lane of the motorway but after exiting the zoom function at junctions/roundabouts stopped working. The voice instructions also gave out bogus turn right instructions down a straight road, which leads onto a roundabout and a second exit turn off. By the time we got on the roundabout the voice instructions had corrected itself but the zoom function, alas, never did.

Shame because up to the point of losing zoom it was working really well. Maybe I have a dud but I'm expecting a Garmin 65 in a few days so I can compare functionality, ease of use, navigation etc.

As for the unit not being able to find the postcode of my home address, neither did a 55 Garmin I looked at in Halfords to see if it was just Tom Tom. Not sure why this would be for premium up to date Sat Navs but my 2014 Focus has, so far, proven far more accurate with post codes.
    UPDATE: Tried the Tom Tom dash mount. Solid as a rock. Until I tried to attach the sat nav. As soon as the magnet got close to the magnetic attachment, the mount detached itself. Dear lady tried it. Same result. Weird.

Tried Garmin 65 side by side with Tom Tom 6200. Garmin 65 wins hands down for its screen clarity. Tom Tom looks washed out if not viewed from a specific angle whereas the 65 stays sharp no matter what angle. The 6200 seems to have a slightly more accurate and smooth navigation. The 65 couldn't find a hospital. Well, it did but led us to the back end where there was no entry. 6200 was spot on. Operating functions are archaic with Tom Tom. The unit feels like using an old windows computer after being with the latest flat screens.

Dear lady prefers the bigger Garmin screen and clearer image. However, it has to be said both are not as accurate as google maps, which also gives superior voice guidance. If it wasn't for the fact that you lose maps on Google when the signal is lost, Dear lady would be using her phone and both Tom Tom and Garmin would be returned.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Southwestuser
    If your dashboard has a textured surface finish the air will bleed into the vacuum of the suction cup and release the Mount... I use a dashboard mount disc....
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/mounts-docks/dashboard-mount-disks/

GO 6200 set for dashboard use,,,,
    yf4niyraxkeo.png

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    The unit was pretty solid until I attempted to attach tom tom. As soon as the magnetic back of the unit got near the stand, the stand released. Tried it half a dozen times each with the same result. Would still go for the pads though to be more secure even if this wasn't happening.

It's all academic now anyway. The unit we had is no longer charging from the PC. There was a bit of juice left but after more than two hours on charge it is stone dead flat. It is also proving to be very slow in booting up and shutting down.

The conundrum now is whether to return and replace with exact same model via Amazon. Probably not.
    Superusers
    edited January 13
    Hi
    @Southwestuser
    You are turning the Mount locking ring at the base of the mount clockwise to create a vacuum in the mount suction cup ???
    When locked the small protrusion on the locking ring should line up with the raised line on the main body of the mount ....

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

ATB YFM
    edited January 15
    Thanks again for the detailed response. Yes, I'd turned the locking ring and locked it tight. It was solid. Gave it a few shoves and it didn't move. However, as mentioned, as soon at the magnet got near the base magnet the base came loose. Weird.

The car charger is as supplied with the Tom Tom. The unit charged from my Mac as well. But, as again mentioned, it has decided it no longer wants to charge from my laptop. It has been returned now.