TomTom stuck on initial screen. How to fix? — TomTom Community

TomTom stuck on initial screen. How to fix?

Hello,
I have a TomTom GO50/51. I was performing the update of maps and voice controls and during the installation process the TomTom stopped being recognized by the computer. The app mentioned to disconnect the usb cable and reconnect while the device kept saying to not disconnect during the process. After 2 hours of no changes I followed the instructions on the pc. That solved nothing, the device was recognized for about 2 minutes and disconnected again. It did the same for the ten times I tried.

I ended up having a device stuck in the "updating do not disconnect" screen for several hours. I then decided to follow the procedure for the soft restart, pressing the power button until the intro drums play. Ever since the device gets stuck on the initial screen and is not recognized by the computer. I cannot do anything with it now, there is no way even to start the recovery process.

How can this be fixed? Is there any way to reset the device for good and have it working again ?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,433
    Superusers
    Hi
    @User123456789
    Welcome to the site....
    (Snip) I then decided to follow the procedure for the soft restart, pressing the power button until the intro drums play. Ever since the device gets stuck on the initial screen and is not recognized by the computer. I cannot do anything with it now, there is no way even to start the 'recovery process' (Snip)
    By recovery do you mean a Soft Start/Drumroll Start ???

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • User123456789User123456789 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    With restart (reset)I mean this process
    while for recovery I mean this

I am trying to use the tomtom terminology as in the official videos.

I hope this helps. I need the device to work so whatever is the solution I would be glad to try it.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,433
    Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi
    @User123456789
    It looks like Recovery Mode has initialized on your device....
    When the device is in Recovery Mode... The device MUST be connected to your PC using the supplied USB Cable with MyDrive Connect running in the background for the Recovery process to complete....

MyDrive Connect must be running on your PC, and be capable of displaying as CONNECTED on MyDrive Connect...

Installing MyDrive Connect....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

Important....
    NEVER have a Tomtom device connected to your PC when....
    (1)... Installing MyDrive Connect (Including Uninstalling & Reinstalling MyDrive Connect)
    (2)... Updating the MyDrive Connect program
    Having your device connected can have an adverse effect on the USB Driver install….

See Tomtom FAQ... Navigation device not starting or displaying a cross....
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959579-Navigation-device-not-starting-or-displaying-a-cross

Once Recovery Mode is initiated, and if a connection to MyDrive Connect has NOT established....
    Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out
    Any attempts at a Restart... The device, will continue to display a Splash screen with image of a PC and a Red Cross or a Screen displaying a spinning disc, until Recovery mode can establish a connection to MyDrive Connect or the Server eventually times-out....

After the Christmas Holidays... You may need to contact Tomtom Support....
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    (1)... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

(2)... The official way to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM