New version (2.4) available for GO Navigation app (iOS) - Page 2 — TomTom Community

New version (2.4) available for GO Navigation app (iOS)

2»

Comments

• RicoKRicoK Posts: 147 [Supreme Navigator]
    RicoK wrote: »
    @Jürgen Thanks for your reply. Yes, this could be possible, because with the latest map updates, which sizes were big, the update of France and/or Germany failed over and over again. So, I (re)started the downloads also over and over again....:(

I shall delete the app and reinstall it to see if the sizes remains that big.

Quoting myself....

@Jürgen I have just reinstalled the app with my maps and now the size is a decent 7,8 GB. Problem solved, but strange it is ;)
  • lexuswlexusw Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Sometimes in CarPlay there is no warning sound for speed cameras. It looks like the warning is random, sometimes it is, sometimes not
  • booleanboolean Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited December 2020
    Those added features are probably great, but I would rather see the battery draining CarPlay issue being solved. When hooked up to CarPlay, TomTom GO uses an excessive amount of power, turning your phone into a hand stove. Even when disconnected from CarPlay, the app keeps running and draining battery without any way to close it. Restarting the phone is the only resolution. I see this behavior on both my iPhone 12 mini running iOS 14.1 and my wife's iPhone 12 Pro on iOS 14.3. I've seen people report the same issues on different iOS hardware and versions, so this issue should have been addressed and solved already.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,669
    Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi
    @boolean
    boolean wrote: »
    (Snip) The app keeps running and draining the battery without any way to close it. Restarting the phone is the only resolution. I see this behaviour on both my iPhone 12 mini running iOS 14.1 and my wife's iPhone 12 Pro on iOS 14.3. (Snip)
    Closing Apps iPhone 12 and above See....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • booleanboolean Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    @YamFazMan

I can't tell if you're joking or not. You're telling me, a senior software developer, how to close apps on iOS? You can't close CarPlay sessions this way. So if you have zero knowledge of app development on iOS, please leave the support to more knowledgeable people like the developers.
  • ttrjvgttrjvg Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    The new feature to steer to choose the alternative is not so great at all!!

Initially I thought it was a nice way to choose the alternative route but in practice it works quite disastrous.

It completely fails when the alternative route is not a clearly different direction. When the alternative is given at a point where for example the highway splits but remains parallel for a while, the app doesn’t recognize the chosen alternative. Then when the new road eventually breaks away from the original, it takes time to get the new route to display. On several occasions I missed a turn of because of that.

It works fine when the choice was detected by the app.

Please give me again the option to select. For example in the route bar.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,192
    Superuser
    edited December 2020
    Hi @boolean

Interestingly when I used the App on my iPhone SE (old version) the phone used to get quite hot but now I am using the Iphone 12 mini it is running much cooler so far.

Also when I disconnect my iPhone from CarPlay, which it connects too via USB cable I don't have to turn the phone Off/On to terminated the App which you suggest is the only way you are able to do it.. Simply Tapping the Nav App Icon on the phone brings up the Apps display and I can then close the App down in the normal way.

Doug
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 174 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    lexusw wrote: »
    Sometimes in CarPlay there is no warning sound for speed cameras. It looks like the warning is random, sometimes it is, sometimes not

See the same thing in 2.4.1, don’t seem to get many alerts and yes sound is switched on.

If I’m local or know the route I tend to use ‘alerts only’, but does same with ‘alerts and guidance’.
    Superuser
    Hi @brucey

I find the best setting is to have a Computerised Voice selected such as Serena and that Warnings are Read out. That way , when fully set up I not only get a sound , which can be missed , but a description of the type of Speed Cameras I am approaching.

Doug
    Thanks Doug for the reply.

I’m using these settings, only recently cameras stopped being announced so it’s either 2.4 or 2.4.1 I think.

tool6ap1ksiu.png
    o3d4gg5epk3u.png
    Superuser
    Hi @brucey

Just checked mine which is using 2.4.1 by creating a couple of short routes past known cameras then Played the Route Preview in Current route and it is working fine.

Maybe delete the App and after turning phone Off/On and reloading seee what happens. The settings you have are the same as mine.

Doug
  • gallafentgallafent Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited December 2020
    Hi everyone,
    lampard wrote: »
    • Decide by steering. Simply steer to an alternative route to take it.

This seems to be a massive backward step. The whole point of a navigation app is that it tells me where to go, not that I have to tell it!

It seems that at the same time as adding this confusing system you have removed the “Always take the fastest route” option, I can no longer see it in the “route planning” settings. Is that the case? You didn't mention the removal of this fundamental feature in the release notes.

With previous versions of the app, I had that setting enabled (of course), and I simply follow the route the app chooses at all times and I'm confident that it is the fastest. With the new “feature”, I have to actively choose not to follow the route which is being advised, in order to take the optimal route!

For example, yesterday I was approaching a roundabout. The planned route, “go right” would take me into a traffic jam. And yet, that is what the instructions, the turn symbols, and the blue line on the map tell me to do. In order to get the fastest route, I have to ignore the instructions and go left instead.

This varies between annoying and dangerous, depending on how close to a junction, how complex that junction is, and at what speed, it becomes evident that the correct choice is to do the opposite of the app's instructions. Crossing several lanes to alter course from one to another on the approach to a junction is a very bad thing to force a user into.

Please restore the “what to do when a faster route is available” choice in “route planning”, so that I can set it to “always take the fastest route”, as I used to — of course this means that the green line will never appear for me, which is absolutely fine. Less information to process and less distraction. That way the lane guidance and all other instructions will be correct and if I choose to go a different way because I like being stuck in traffic I can continue to do so with impunity.

Removing features which are slick and require no user intervention (“always take the faster route”), and replacing them with a system which requires a driver actively to do something other than what the nav device is telling them (it says “turn right” but to get the fastest route I have to turn left), is a very very bad idea.

Please let me know if the “always take the fastest route” option is going to be restored, and ideally a timescale. Alternatively, if it has been removed forever, please also indicate this, and I'll investigate your competitors' products to see which suits!
  • VIP_TomVIP_Tom Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    gallafent wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

It seems that at the same time as adding this confusing system you have removed the “Always take the fastest route” option, I can no longer see it in the “route planning” settings. Is that the case? You didn't mention the removal of this fundamental feature in the release notes.

With previous versions of the app, I had that setting enabled (of course), and I simply follow the route the app chooses at all times and I'm confident that it is the fastest. With the new “feature”, I have to actively choose not to follow the route which is being advised, in order to take the optimal route!

For example, yesterday I was approaching a roundabout. The planned route, “go right” would take me into a traffic jam. And yet, that is what the instructions, the turn symbols, and the blue line on the map tell me to do. In order to get the fastest route, I have to ignore the instructions and go left instead.

This varies between annoying and dangerous, depending on how close to a junction, how complex that junction is, and at what speed, it becomes evident that the correct choice is to do the opposite of the app's instructions. Crossing several lanes to alter course from one to another on the approach to a junction is a very bad thing to force a user into.

Please restore the “what to do when a faster route is available” choice in “route planning”, so that I can set it to “always take the fastest route”, as I used to — of course this means that the green line will never appear for me, which is absolutely fine. Less information to process and less distraction. That way the lane guidance and all other instructions will be correct and if I choose to go a different way because I like being stuck in traffic I can continue to do so with impunity.

Removing features which are slick and require no user intervention (“always take the faster route”), and replacing them with a system which requires a driver actively to do something other than what the nav device is telling them (it says “turn right” but to get the fastest route I have to turn left), is a very very bad idea.

Please let me know if the “always take the fastest route” option is going to be restored, and ideally a timescale. Alternatively, if it has been removed forever, please also indicate this, and I'll investigate your competitors' products to see which suits!

I agree with this comment 100%. I, too, was confused where this option had gone. Since using the app all of last week to travel to and from work, my TomTom was taking me ridiculous routes and not the fastest way mid-route.

Please restore this setting as I like my app automatically recalculating when I am driving. Not once did I see a quicker alternative route show up in the app, even though there were definitely faster routes available.
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @brucey

Just checked mine which is using 2.4.1 by creating a couple of short routes past known cameras then Played the Route Preview in Current route and it is working fine.

Maybe delete the App and after turning phone Off/On and reloading seee what happens. The settings you have are the same as mine.

Doug

Cheers for that, had previously already tried a soft reset of phone with no joy but deleting and reinstalling app has brought the alerts back.
    Superuser
    Hi @brucey

Glad you are sorted.

Doug
  • gallafentgallafent Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    gallafent wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

This seems to be a massive backward step. The whole point of a navigation app is that it tells me where to go, not that I have to tell it!

Just as a quick note for anyone else suffering the removal of this vital feature, I have a support ticket open which hasn't got anywhere so far, but I'll add any meaningful updates in this thread, or otherwise maybe open a new thread about this feature's removal for discussion, (preferences welcome)!

Since I'm not going anywhere at the moment due to lockdown, it's not particularly urgent to me today, … but once things start to free up, it will be!