Battery charge failed — TomTom Community

Battery charge failed

I have a Go 6000. His battery you only can charge on the power in house. In the car he's not charging but continuing the power. But now I even can't charge him at home. And when I'm driving he stops many times and start over again. I am a taxidriver and I hate this. He do this for a long time already. (Years) Now my question is: is there a TomTom who is also charging in the car? Excuse for my bad English, I am from the Netherlands.

Best Answers

• Romondo42Romondo42 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Accepted Answer
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Romondo42
    @Pantahduc
    Welcome to the site....
    Maybe useful....
    I never disconnect the Tomtom USB lead from the mount...
    It's the original Mount from when Tomtom launched the GO 5000
    I loop the cable around the mounts' pillar using a simple knot to provide strain relief and when I'm not using the device I use a Velcro strap to stow the mount & cable in the glove-box....

I use a 2nd USB lead to update the device....
    Leaving the mount on the screen 24/7 is not a good idea....

74cwir5vg2pj.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM

I don't leave the dock on the windscreen (would be difficult as I use a different vehicle every day...). The issue as I see it is that in normal use (even if you leave the lead permanently connected to the dock - which is exactly what I did after the last-but-one replacement) there is movement at the plug/socket interface. It's essentially a crappy design.

And yes, I have a different lead that I use for connection to the PC at home for updates.

Answers

There may be another issue here. I've had my 6000 Truck for a few years now, but the windscreen dock has needed replacement every year or so. The problem is that the connector on the back of the dock (where the USB cable connects) fails, resulting in the unit charging only intermittently or not at all. Unlike older TomToms, there is no charging indicator on the main screen, nor is there a LED on the body of the unit to confirm that it's actually charging. The first indication to the user is a low battery warning, followed a few minutes later by the thing going to sleep (or switching off altogether). TomTom provided my first replacement dock FOC, but I think I'm now on my second or third self-funded replacement.

The problem appears to be caused by the right-angled micro-USB connector on the end of a hefty (and fairly inflexible) length of cable - resulting in twisting forces on the connector as the cable moves during driving. On my latest replacement I've tried supporting the joint with Sugru to try and stop this movement from happening.
  • PantahducPantahduc Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Romondo42 wrote: »
    There may be another issue here. I've had my 6000 Truck for a few years now, but the windscreen dock has needed replacement every year or so. The problem is that the connector on the back of the dock (where the USB cable connects) fails, resulting in the unit charging only intermittently or not at all. Unlike older TomToms, there is no charging indicator on the main screen, nor is there a LED on the body of the unit to confirm that it's actually charging. The first indication to the user is a low battery warning, followed a few minutes later by the thing going to sleep (or switching off altogether). TomTom provided my first replacement dock FOC, but I think I'm now on my second or third self-funded replacement.

The problem appears to be caused by the right-angled micro-USB connector on the end of a hefty (and fairly inflexible) length of cable - resulting in twisting forces on the connector as the cable moves during driving. On my latest replacement I've tried supporting the joint with Sugru to try and stop this movement from happening.

Thanks for your answer. I had this problem also. And buy already a new dock. But I still have the problem. Now I will send my TomTom for repare. I hope they will fix him.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,693
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Romondo42
    @Pantahduc
    Welcome to the site....
    Maybe useful....
    I loop the cable around the mounts' pillar using a simple knot to provide strain relief and when I'm not using the device I use a Velcro strap to stow the mount & cable in the glove-box....

74cwir5vg2pj.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • PantahducPantahduc Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi
    @Romondo42
    @Pantahduc
    Welcome to the site....
    Maybe useful....

74cwir5vg2pj.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM

I also don't do that. I use the cable from my old dock for charching at the electric. The one from my dock I never take off again.
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Romondo42
    @Pantahduc
    Welcome to the site....
    Maybe useful....

74cwir5vg2pj.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM

I don't leave the dock on the windscreen (would be difficult as I use a different vehicle every day...). The issue as I see it is that in normal use (even if you leave the lead permanently connected to the dock - which is exactly what I did after the last-but-one replacement) there is movement at the plug/socket interface. It's essentially a crappy design.

And yes, I have a different lead that I use for connection to the PC at home for updates.