Why does Mydrive software use so much data? — TomTom Community

Why does Mydrive software use so much data?

IMHOGYLDIMHOGYLD Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
edited December 2020 in MyDrive Connect
I have a new device, 1625TM and I have downloaded the My Drive software so that I could update it and when I finally got it connected it stated that I needed to update the device so that it would work with the software. So I did, and then watched as it consumed data a an alarming rate. The update was under 400 meg but the software continued to consume data. I finally closed out the My Drive software after it had installed the update and then logged off to keep My Drive from using data. It consumed 6 GIG of my 10 GIG limit in less than 45 minutes. I use GlassWire to monitor my data usage and it tell you where and what used the data.

Best Answers

• IMHOGYLDIMHOGYLD Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    Thank you for answering my question. I thought that's what was going on, the problem was that I didn't have anything on the list of updates checked for updating. The software must just take it on itself to download what is available for your device even if you haven't selected it. I did select the US map after I had updated the firmware and got a prompt that there wasn't enough storage to update. This device doesn't have a micro sd slot only internal memory. So I guess I would have to remove a map before updating it with the newer one. It came with US & Canada for free updates.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,302
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @IMHOGYLD

The Via 1625TM does have a micro SD slot capable of taking extra memory cards. I would recommend a 16gb or Max 32gb Class 10 card.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,736
    Superusers
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @IMHOGYLD
    Welcome to the site...
    IMHOGYLD wrote: »
    (Snip)This device doesn't have a micro SD slot only internal memory. So I guess I would have to remove a map before updating it with the newer one. It came with US & Canada for free updates.
    sjtyii4qjco8.jpg
    Compatible memory cards for map installation....
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013900980-Compatible-memory-cards-for-map-installation

The 1625TM Micro SDHC Memory Card slot should be situated under the Mount....
    See Tomtom Video....
    View Video at 1 Min 10 seconds to 1 Min 23 seconds....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superusers
    Hi Again....
    @IMHOGYLD
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)
    1st format the Card FAT32... Insert the memory Card the device... The device should sense the new card and offer to format the card using the Tomtom proprietary format... Use the Format option for Maps....

To help others in the community....
    If my reply answered your question ???
    On my Reply....
    Please answer 'Yes' To... Did this answer the question? 'Yes'< >' No'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 14,166
    Superusers
    I suspect that the 400mb were for a firmware update and additionally data volume for the navigation map was consumed.
    The Europe map on my Go5200 consumes over 8GB of data.
    Accepted Answer
    Thank you for answering my question. I thought that's what was going on, the problem was that I didn't have anything on the list of updates checked for updating. The software must just take it on itself to download what is available for your device even if you haven't selected it. I did select the US map after I had updated the firmware and got a prompt that there wasn't enough storage to update. This device doesn't have a micro sd slot only internal memory. So I guess I would have to remove a map before updating it with the newer one. It came with US & Canada for free updates.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,302
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @IMHOGYLD

The Via 1625TM does have a micro SD slot capable of taking extra memory cards. I would recommend a 16gb or Max 32gb Class 10 card.

Doug
    Superusers
    Hi
    @IMHOGYLD
    Welcome to the site...
    IMHOGYLD wrote: »
    (Snip)This device doesn't have a micro SD slot only internal memory. So I guess I would have to remove a map before updating it with the newer one. It came with US & Canada for free updates.
    sjtyii4qjco8.jpg
    Compatible memory cards for map installation....
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013900980-Compatible-memory-cards-for-map-installation

The 1625TM Micro SDHC Memory Card slot should be situated under the Mount....
    See Tomtom Video....
    View Video at 1 Min 10 seconds to 1 Min 23 seconds....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    edited December 2020
    Finally found the micro sd card slot. I was convinced that it didn't exist. You all were right and it was under the mount as you all said. It was located on the left side of where the model number sticker is at the bottom of the depression right on the 90 degree angle of the depression for the mount. Where is says SD. I guess you need to read the sticker. My wife pointed it out to me when I asked her to find it. You have to look at the right angle to even see it. You have to hold it vertical and look down into the corner of the mount recess to see it. The video didn't even help in locating it for me It showed it in a different location under the mount. Thank you all for letting me know that there is expanded memory in the 1625TM. I have a class 10, 32 gig card that has a format of FAT32. Is that the right format, or should it be exFAT?
    Superusers
    Hi Again....
    @IMHOGYLD
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)
    1st format the Card FAT32... Insert the memory Card the device... The device should sense the new card and offer to format the card using the Tomtom proprietary format... Use the Format option for Maps....

To help others in the community....
    If my reply answered your question ???
    On my Reply....
    Please answer 'Yes' To... Did this answer the question? 'Yes'< >' No'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thank you all you have been very help full with your quick responses to my questions. I should be good to go unless something else comes up. Maybe as I get to know this device better I can help others as well.