Recently Maps wont update and just give "Oops" message — TomTom Community

Recently Maps wont update and just give "Oops" message

I had Europe card installed on SD-card, version 10.50. I never had problems with updating the maps. The system now says that map is invalid. I cannot remove it. I cannot update it. The system keeps requesting to update the Europe map, but after clicking update there's just an oops, not much to go on. I have installed benelux map and thats working for me. Yet I still get bugged with messages to update the (invalid) Europe map that cant be updated. This annoys the hell out of me. The chat bot is no use at all. I would have contacted support but apparently that's dissapeared too.

Answers

• Gerry_VeraaGerry_Veraa Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    PS. I have performed a soft reset. This did not help
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,423
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Gerry_Veraa
    Welcome to the site....
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed

(1)... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

(2)... Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi Again....
    Is the Benelux map installed on the on-board Memory ??? If Yes try removing the Memory card (PS... What size is the memory card)

The device needs at least one Map installed for the device to run... If you have or can install any small map on the on-board Memory to act as a keeper this will allow the device to boot up....

Are you updating over Wi-Fi or USB ???
    Updating over Wi-Fi + The Device connected to your PC over USB (To provide power to the device while updating) + Mydrive Connect running in the background... This combination can cause an 'Opps' Error message....

I turn off either the Wi-Fi or USB as required....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    The way of support described does not work. I log in on the dutch site, if I click "contact opnemen" the UK page with " contact us" loads and, without clicking forwards to the forum.

The memory card is 32GB. Ik try updating both over wifi and usb (but not together, I tried the USB when I couldnt update over home wifi). I could get other updates done but not for the Europe map.

The device is working with the benelux map but
    - Still get reminded over and over again about the europe map update
    - there is the corrupted europa map (in my view the cause of the former)
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,938
    Superuser
    Hi @Gerry_Veraa

Hopefully @lampard or @VikramK will pick this up and look at the logs for your unit on the TT servers. Look back tomorrow to see what they have to say.

Doug
    I found the problem and it's all caused by TomTom engineering. At the recent update they apparently removed Europe maps because they were getting too large for some systems.
    - They did that WITHOUT checking if there was enough space on the device to keep using EU maps.
    - They did not remove the maps, but marked them as invalid
    - Because of this the update still was being triggered
    - THe update couldnt work because the map (and update) were apparently marked as invalid
    - The mechanism to stop TomTom from reminding to skip the update did not work as intended
    - This left me with a system where there was a map that could not be removed and update reminders that kept on being triggered

All of this could have been prevented by actually thinking. TomTom chose not to. This reflect very negative on the TomTom service and next time I purchase a navigation system I will look around more before deciding on TomTom.
    Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi
    @Gerry_Veraa
    Welcome to the site....
    I found the problem and it's all caused by TomTom engineering. At the recent update they apparently removed Europe maps because they were getting too large for some systems.
    Sorry but I think you are combining two separate issues and proposing a conspiracy theory that doesn't exist....

Issue... (1)
    The early NAV4 devices Maps fitted easily onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9GB
    @VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators pick this type of problem and add a small Map to the Account to get past the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....

See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Issue... (2)
    The latest NAV5 Wi-Fi devices have 16 GB of on-board Memory
    See @Vikram's post (Tomtom Staff) No Maps Found... Probably Case 2
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1121560/tomtom-no-maps-found

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    I feel offended by your "conspiracy" remark. Nowhere in my post did I hint towards TomTom being able to set up or maintain such a thing! Quite to the contrary.

I stated the facts en concluded that engineers somewhere along the line dropped the ball and the entire issue could have been handled in a more user friendly way.

Your reaction convinced me that customers are not valued by your company.

You state the obvious and say that for older models (not mine) the size is an issue, but not for newer models. It stands to logic to differentiate between them, communicate better what device updates entail. All the other points originate from this engineering decision
    Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi
    @Gerry_Veraa
    I'm sorry if I offended you... perhaps I should have used different words to "conspiracy theory" But your post is still tying to make a drama out of a crisis....
    I stated the facts (Snip)
    Unless you are employed by Tomtom you can't possibly know the 'Facts'... Your post is only supposition....
    Your reaction convinced me that customers are not valued by your company.
    ??? I'm NOT a Tomtom employee, just a Tomtom user like yourself.....

Stay Safe ATB YFM