New version (2.4) available for GO Navigation app (iOS) — TomTom Community

New version (2.4) available for GO Navigation app (iOS)

lampardlampard Posts: 5,309 Moderator
Hi there,

We started a rollout of the new app version 2.4 today, this version is rolled out in phases and should be available for all users within a week.

What's new in this version:
  • CarPlay Dashboard support
  • Decide by steering. Simply steer to an alternative route to take it.
  • Alternative routes now visible on CarPlay
  • Add Home, Work, and Recent locations to Siri Shortcuts
  • Traffic services now available in Slovenia, Estonia, Bosnia, and Serbia
  • Bug fixes and improvements

Regards, lampard

Update: We just released version 2.4.1 - which includes a festive splash screen and a few crash & bug fixes in the hope to increase the stability of the app.

Comments

• Roller2Roller2 Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Has there been any changes to address the high battery usage and iPhones getting very warm/hot?
    I guess not - I still see 1% battery drain per minute. iPhone still getting pretty warm very quickly.
  • JC_AUJC_AU Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I love the siri shortcuts. Just wondering if it's possible to also add the option for avoiding tolls?
  • XiuyuanXiuyuan Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Roller2 wrote: »
    Has there been any changes to address the high battery usage and iPhones getting very warm/hot?
    I guess not - I still see 1% battery drain per minute. iPhone still getting pretty warm very quickly.

Use Carplay, and turn off the phone screen, and all solve
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,163
    Community Manager
    Sorry, we're still trying to reproduce this but the team is on it.
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 150 [Supreme Navigator]
    Xiuyuan wrote: »
    Use Carplay, and turn off the phone screen, and all solve

Really?? How can you say that?!?!? Do you actually know what we are talking about?

Basically the screen of an iPhone turns off by it self after some seconds after having it connected to the CarPlay unit!! And still the iPhone gets very very hot with a battery drain.

None of the competitors do have the same issue. That's why I am still using Waze, which has also dashboard support as of yesterday, which keeps my iPhone cool/cold!

Using Waze my iPhone gets charged fully while TomTom is draining my battery.

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited December 2020
    Hi All,

I don't have any vehicle with CarPlay so I only use TomTom Go on its own. I have a couple of questions about some of the new features

CarPlay Dashboard support
    What is Dashboard and how does supporting it change/improve the CarPlay experience?
    Does Carplay now show the route bar?

Decide by steering. Simply steer to an alternative route to take it.
    Is this by using the vehicle's steering wheel?
    Isn't 'Decide by steering' the same as auto re-routing when you go off course?

Thanks,
    What is Dashboard and how does supporting it change/improve the CarPlay experience?

This is Apple CarPlay's Dashboard (I took it from the internet), meaning it is a split screen:

fo9r9vby9y90.png

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
    RicoK wrote: »
    This is Apple CarPlay's Dashboard (I took it from the internet), meaning it is a split screen:
    Thanks,

So previously you could have just one screen, i.e. the navigation screen? So now you can have multiple different screens.

Does the Dashboard allow the route bar to be displayed in another screen window?

Thanks,

@PrivateerUK Yes, previously you could only have just one full screen at the same time. At least, when using another app then Apple or Google Map, because Apple and Google supported Dashboard from the beginning.

No, unfortunately, the routebar still isn't displayed at all.
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 179 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Very good TomTom and another step in the right direction.

Route bar implementation please and the ability to check upcoming instructions with CarPlay so I'm not driving blind into nonsensical routing and then I can ditch my 6200.
  • GummibandoGummibando Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    edited December 2020
    Very nice.

@lampard @Jürgen

Two issues, though.
    1. "Check subscription for CarPlay" message still appearing.
    2. Recent destinations title in German locale ("Letzte Ziele") is truncated in iOS 14(.2) but not truncated in iOS 13(.7).

Please see attached screenshots.

If you compare both screens, it looks like there is more "padding" in the icon view in iOS 14, which probably translates to less available space within the view.

wxzsnq3mnwu0.png
    zy1f44q75sa5.png
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,945
    Superuser
    Hi

On the PND’s if the unit identifies a faster route it displays it in the Route bar in green. When you reach the junction where the green route branches off if you just Steer the car taking the suggested faster route it then recognises you have decided to follow the suggestion and so now directs as normal that way. That is what the green route is showing in the pictures with the new App version.

Also if you have people in your Contact list with their addresses then the App will respond to a request via Siri to route to the Person. I have also found that if for example you say to Siri Drive to Buckingham Palace it will route accordingly.

Doug
  • Roller2Roller2 Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited December 2020
    Jürgen wrote: »
    Sorry, we're still trying to reproduce this but the team is on it.

These issues have been around for almost a year (for me). This forum and the Apple Store reviews have a significant amount of people reporting this for a long time.
    You say you are trying but you still can't reproduce this?

My gut feeling says its more like "we know where this issue is but it requires a complete re-write of the foundations of the app". I also understand that if this is true, you can't say this and explains why there is no clear statement or confirmation. I have no other option but to draw my own conclusions.
    I wish TomTom and the app all the best and will keep an eye out for updates nonetheless, but I can't use TomTom Go for iPhone at the moment. It still has the best traffic info and avoidance!
    Regards!
  • loekfloekf Posts: 49 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Traffic and MyDrive still disconnect using celllular data for me. WIFI, so at home, is fine.

iPhone 12 Pro, dual SIM

Using iOS 14.2

Maybe it is an iOS issue, I expect iOS 14.3 to come soon. It went RC yesterday.
    Really weird UI inconsistency:

In iOS 14.2, the German locale title for petrol station is "Benzin" (= petrol/gas) in the CarPlay UI instead of "Tankstelle" (= petrol/gas station), while it is correct in the iPhone UI.
    In iOS 13.7, the CarPlay UI and iPhone UI title is correct.

Huh? Why are there different strings in iOS 14 vs. iOS 13?

yhfay180bzgx.png
  • DavidQPRDavidQPR Posts: 30 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Am I being daft here but dashboard is still showing apple maps and I can’t see how to change it to TomTom
  • DavidQPRDavidQPR Posts: 30 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Ahh ignore that. I restarted phone and all is ok
  • lexuswlexusw Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited December 2020
    I have some feedback after installing 2.4

- In CarPlay Dashboard modus when you do not follow a specific route, the screen right above is clear, I should be nice if you see a shortcut to start a navigation. Like Google maps.

- by default I’d like to have 3D modus on. But everytime I start CarPlay 2D modus is active. (Even when my last setting was 3D)

- in the menu where you can search for a adress, that is a bit buggy with the blue color on the buttons. You can’t see the text of the button.

- Siri Shortcuts does not work (iOS 14.2). After adding a shortcut the menu says there no shortcut added.
    The same thing like the point what I said about 3D modus, zooming in CarPlay modus does not remember your last setting. Everytime you plug-in you see the hole map.
  • smudger64smudger64 Posts: 72 [Supreme Navigator]
    lexusw wrote: »

- In CarPlay Dashboard modus when you do not follow a specific route, the screen right above is clear, I should be nice if you see a shortcut to start a navigation. Like Google maps.

- by default I’d like to have 3D modus on. But everytime I start CarPlay 2D modus is active. (Even when my last setting was 3D)

- in the menu where you can search for a adress, that is a bit buggy with the blue color on the buttons. You can’t see the text of the button.

- Siri Shortcuts does not work (iOS 14.2). After adding a shortcut the menu says there no shortcut added.

Not sure what trouble you're having with the shortcuts? Im on IOS 14.2 and just added them within the tomttom app. Then in IOS shortcuts they appeared where I'll linked them to the BBC iplayer. Actually works really well.

Good update for me, although i don't have carplay or seem to get the heating issue on a Iphone XR. Do have it on wireless charging mount and it barely keeps up with the drain though. Worse case scenario I'll plug it in via a lead, but that's only if it was pretty drained in the first place and I need the charge to increase while I'm driving.

Just need the My Routes now!
    lexusw wrote: »
    What do you mean by this? The button next to the search bar?
    Where the size of the app was around 8 GB, now with the latest app and map updates my iPhone Storage is showing TomTom Go with it's maps is taking 15,5 GB of storage which is an increase of more then 90%!!

I have only a few maps installed which are: Belgium (281 MB), Germany (1,9 GB), France (3,3 GB), Luxembourg (28 MB), the Netherlands (586 MB), Spain (1,3 GB) and European Ferries (155 MB). These maps are adding up to 7,5 GB! Whats is causing the 'extra' 8 GB??

How is this possible?!?!
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,163
    Community Manager
    RicoK wrote: »
    Where the size of the app was around 8 GB, now with the latest app and map updates my iPhone Storage is showing TomTom Go with it's maps is taking 15,5 GB of storage which is an increase of more then 90%!!

I have only a few maps installed which are: Belgium (281 MB), Germany (1,9 GB), France (3,3 GB), Luxembourg (28 MB), the Netherlands (586 MB), Spain (1,3 GB) and European Ferries (155 MB). These maps are adding up to 7,5 GB! Whats is causing the 'extra' 8 GB??

How is this possible?!?!
    Could it be that you cancelled a map download by accident? Partial downloads might not be deleted. We have an issue open for this.
    @Jürgen Thanks for your reply. Yes, this could be possible, because with the latest map updates, which sizes were big, the update of France and/or Germany failed over and over again. So, I (re)started the downloads also over and over again....:(

I shall delete the app and reinstall it to see if the sizes remains that big.
    edited December 2020
    I mean also in CarPlay the search button is fully blue with no text in it. Seems like a bug.

And this week TomTom freezes 2 times also via CarPlay.

For a app where you say as organization that you support CarPlay (and where you have to pay each month for it) the app is by far not good enough (yet).
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category1

Jürgen
Jürgen