"due to the limitations of our new maps" — TomTom Community

"due to the limitations of our new maps"

dezmodezmo Posts: 42 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
I am a frequent reader here and I see the above sentence many times in the answers.

I’m really very sincerely curious about the benefits of the new map format because I’ve only read about its disadvantages so far and have had bad experiences.

@lampard @Jürgen or other TT member:

Can you please list 4-5 beneficial properties? Which isn’t in the previous version and it really works the way you advertise.

This is not to be offended, I am really curious. :3

Comments

• paba2paba2 Posts: 40
    Staff
    edited December 2020
    New map format is open standard used by multiple automobile manufacturers and suppliers. You can read more about it on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigation_Data_Standard

Previous format was in-house one. If some functionality is missing it is seldom due to limitation of new format, but rather fact that migration required huge portion of search/navigation/rendering engines to be rewritten. So it took and still takes some time to catch up in feature parity.

One of benefits of new format is support for small incremental updates which can be done on weekly basis. Another big one is interoperability with other companies, e.g. now Uber is editting TT maps https://www.tomtom.com/company/press-releases/news/26501/

• schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 269 [Exalted Navigator]
    edited December 2020
    TomTom used to have the best maps on the planet. That's why I stuck with them for so many years. The app is now substantially cheaper than the old version so I can see merit to the decision. For me, I want the best maps, custom POI's, a visually useful display, and a volume slider. Moved on to a stand-alone that still supports all those things. Downside is that it ain't cheap.
  • dezmodezmo Posts: 42 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited December 2020
    Thanks @paba2

I know about wikipedia and other searchable content.
    I wanted to ask what the benefits are for the user, like me. Unfortunately, the things listed are of almost no benefit to me.
    _____
    paba2 wrote: »
    One of benefits of new format is support for small incremental updates which can be done on weekly basis.
    The main problem with this are the followings:
    a) Even they are promising, the updates at least two time has been delayed

b) The updates takes extremely long time.
    The old format map finished with the 1.8x version software in 15-20 minutes with the ~ 15GB update.

The new version of the maps (with software version 2.x.x) takes more time, even it is less than 1GB size.

Yesterday, for example, the new version of the map, about 15GB, was downloaded in 20 minutes, but it still took additional 35 minutes to actually update.
    _____
    paba2 wrote: »
    Another big one is interoperability with other companies, e.g. now Uber is editting TT maps https://www.tomtom.com/company/press-releases/news/26501/

Well, that leaves me completely cold. I don't trust Über at all.
    I need the map because I want to drive myself.
    ___

So those were "two" benefits, (divided by 1,5 ;) )
    Other 3-4?
    Are you a employee of TT?
  • paba2paba2 Posts: 40
    Staff
    edited December 2020
    Even they are promising, the updates at least two time has been delayed

Yeah but thats random backend issues nothing to do with format itself.
    Old app: quarterly updates.
    New app: weekly updates plus quarterly updates.

Also weekly doesn't mean there will be update data for every subregion(country) every week.
    Yesterday, for example, the new version of the map, about 15GB, was downloaded in 20 minutes, but it still took additional 35 minutes to actually update.

In old app there was no update process, app just removed old map and use newly downloaded one.

New app is using sqlite database operations underneath so batching multiple updates as in quarterly changes is not very optimal a takes long time indeed. What you can do is update weekly but when there is big update like every three month just remove old regions and then it should go much faster.

If future hopefully this could be improved on app side so it's smart enough to do it for user automatically.
  • dezmodezmo Posts: 42 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited December 2020
    So, I concluded there is only ONE single benefit of the new map format (weekly updates), but this one have been implemented poorly.

All the limitations are still there and the staff unable (or forbidden) to answer when the limitations will disappear.
    Yes, I know they are working on it...
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 303 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    @schneidernet they may have the best visual maps going, but I don't think they do have the best maps overall as many things are missing from the map, which are on other applications and devices.

This is annoying when driving an unknown area to see something like a lake or river next to the road but are missing on all tomtom maps (even one for the new version), so how are you to know you in the correct place?

And even if you log it with TomTom they do nothing about it.
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 269 [Exalted Navigator]
    I said, "TomTom USED to have the best maps on the planet."