TomTom GO5200 and My Drive — TomTom Community

TomTom GO5200 and My Drive

I did have a GO5000 which I could access and change via My Drive. But when connect to my new GO5200, My Drive does not allow me to access options. Just give a screen stating: -

1. Make sure device connected to your computer and computer has a internet connection.
2. Keep My Drive Connect open on your computer.
3. Update your PND by tapping Settings>Updates and new items and install all updates seen on your device.

There NO menu options. Only a Log out button.

Why can I not see options that previously available for my GO5000? Like route planning or my places etc.

Best Answer

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,003
    Superuser
    edited November 2020
    Hi @Andy_Speed_100

The GO 5200 is designed to be managed without the need for a PC as the old units like your GO5000 were.

If you have input your Wifi details into the GO5200 then when you turn it on, and there are updates available , then you should advised of the uptakes etc on startup. If you Tap that message or at any other time if you go to New Items and Updates in Settings then you can see what Updates etc are available and you can select each one to be downloaded directly to the unit. You are advised to do any available updates one at a time.

If you do not have a Wifi system but a wired system only, maybe for health reasons, or your Wifi is slowish then you should load and start the Tomtom My Drive Connect Software on your PC then attach the TT unit. When you do this you will see a page suggesting you do things the easy way. When this screen appears then use the menu options on the GO Rider to manage the updating. You connection to the PC is only providing you with a connection to the internet and there are no facilities to manage updating etc within My Drive Connect with a Wifi based unit.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034265/updating-your-navigation-device-using-wi-fi/p1?new=1

Regarding your last comment. The route Planning and MyPlaces are on the Tomtom My Drive Website and is not in the My Drive Connect Software which is the software used on the more recent Devices and replaced the Old unit TomTom HOME Software used for updating.

Doug
  • Andy_Speed_100Andy_Speed_100 Posts: 6 [New Seeker]
    Hi Doug,

What is the TT unit?

I downloaded the manual for the GO 5200. If what you say correct, why does the manual state can use My Drive for the following functions?

Use TomTom MyDrive to do the following:

1 Find a destination on the MyDrive map and send it to your GO. You can drive to the destination and it is also saved in My Places and in Recent Destinations in the Main Menu.
    2 Plan a route with stops on the MyDrive map and send it to your GO.
    3 Sync community POI list files from the MyDrive map to your GO. The POI lists are stored in My Places and the locations are shown on the map.
    4 Find a POI in MyDrive and sync it with your GO.
    5 Continually save all your locations in My Places to MyDrive. You can see all your My Places locations on the MyDrive map.
    6 Automatically restore your My Places locations and POIs from MyDrive to your GO after a reset.

Also, since I have World Maps. Why can I only access European map but no other country. Can't even load "European + France with Buildings" that listed in GO 5200 as an option.
    Superuser
    Hi @Andy_Speed_100

The reference to a TT unit is referring to your GO5200 ie a TomTom Navigation device. Sorry if I have confused you.

My Drive is different to the My Drive Connect software which you download from the Tomtom website.. The former is the Tomtom website where you can log into your Tomtom Account. See the following link. The My Drive Connect software is for updates and adding new items to your device like voices but as I said in my previous post you only need in certain circumstances for your GO5200..

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=viewport+viewport=51.39601,0.32527,18,0,-0+ver=3

When you open the MyDrive webpage you can log into your account top right and then use the website to create routes and either send them to your GO5200 or save them in your account under My Routes and then sync them to you GO5200 when the unit logs in when you start it up There is also a My Drive App for the Android or Apple phones where you can do the same.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1037877/creating-your-own-routes-with-mydrive

You can also use the MyDrive website to create My Places and add them and 3rd Party POI files to your GO5200. The My Drive website is in effect also a backup for your unit. as it syncs with the unit and, except for routes created on the GO5200 and stored in My Routes, should you have to do a factory reset on the GO5200 will sync the backed up data the GO5200 when it logs into your account.

Doug
  • Andy_Speed_100Andy_Speed_100 Posts: 6 [New Seeker]
    Hi Doug, Thanks, that make more sense. I didn't realise there a difference between 'My Drive' and 'My Drive Connect'. I been using 'My Drive' that was installed on laptop for my GO 5000'. I will uninstall and try the other software package.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,481
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Andy_Speed_100
    Further to Doug's Post....
    Mabe useful....
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi....
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB....

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on Your WI-FI name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi

zzb10t6jrg2v.jpg
    Updating the device....
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items

Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained....
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wi-Fi) devices connected over Wi-Fi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if MyDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps

Connecting hard-wired over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    Updating your new device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here..... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

There's no need to login to MyDrive Connect... See Note... (1)
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    The Update will hopefully complete

If you're using a Laptop it would be also more advisable to use a hard-wire connection back from the Laptop to the Router....

Note... (1) MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wi-Fi" etc....

27bxc59f2s23.png
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wi-Fi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC Taskbar... The NAV(5 Wi-Fi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi @Andy_Speed_100

If you have the My Drive Connect software on your PC for when you had the GO500 there is no reason to delete as it is the same software for use , when or if required, for the GO5200. You may have to update it occasionally.

Doug