TomTom Mydrive and Rider 450: better maps with white/unpaved roads — TomTom Community

TomTom Mydrive and Rider 450: better maps with white/unpaved roads

ncl3ncl3 Posts: 12 [Apprentice Seeker]
Hi, planning my trips with Mydrive I find very frustrating to not have displayed common white/unpaved roads that you can find even on Google Maps. This happens on the Rider 450 maps too.
So is there a way to have better/more detailed maps?

Comments

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 634 [Revered Pioneer]
    There is no option to load other maps like OSM on the Rider.

You can set tho Rider on Walking or Cycling to enable more roads for navigation.
  • ncl3ncl3 Posts: 12 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks I did like you said but there is no improvement
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,381
    Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi
    @psyskiesman

Don't forget the Tomtom devices are Road Route planners.... Not Off-road Route planners....
    If you plan a route to the middle of a forest or a National Park the Tomtom device will only plan a route to the nearest road access point displayed on the Tomtom Map, not the middle of the Forest

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    I'm not talking of off-road route planner, but of common white/unpaved roads that you can find even on Google Maps and that you can ride with a car
    Superusers
    Hi
    @ncl3
    Report the missing road/track using the Mapshare reporting tool....
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    You don't get the point. It's not a single road that is missing, but a problem of map missing a whole bunch of roads and I'm not talking of accidentally find a missing road while you're riding, but of not being able to plan a trip because of these missing roads
    Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi
    @ncl3
    Of course, I get the point, you want to drive/ride down tiny unmade country lanes...
    But the vast majority of the Tomtom customer user base, that post on the Forum are of the opposite opinion, complaining about being routed down tiny lanes and requesting a change to the planning rules to avoid them whenever possible.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    This is a little example of the problems I'm talking about. Not only missing roads, but even uncharted land. And these images aren't from an unknown land, but from Italy. How is this possible? It's unacceptable!
    4od6mo34o6fq.png
    kaw3m6ilqnd5.png
    edited December 2020
    @ncl3 Just zoom in an you wil see your smal roads in MyDrive or on your device.

ucj6blm4dcim.jpg

This are small roads so many people don't like to use this roads with there car.
    I can still remember some trips in Italy where we had to ford right some rivulets on very narrow bad paved mountain road. (sadly I didn't bring my bike)

Your road (the smal map is also the TomTom map with blue Streetview overlay)

51wp8lcw887x.jpg

(Do yo own a KTM? I am riding a 1290 SAS)
    edited December 2020
    s5md70i97vf6.png
    tapyequmjnw5.png
    @RoadRider You can zoom in as much as you want but on TomTom map there is no land so you can't plan a trip as you can do with Google maps as shown above. Btw these places belong to Unesco.

We ride the same bike ;)
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 231 [Exalted Navigator]
    @ncl3 I am firmly in the camp that wants to avoid all the narrow width roads that my Car sat nav delights in sending me down. ;)

Out of casual interest I used Google Street to look at a couple of the above locations and saw "locked gates" at the entrances .

I assume as the places belong to Unesco the roads would be regarded as being "Private" and not accessible to the general public hence why Tomtom does not navigate to these roads?

As noted on the Google map you included, the warning that translates to:
    "this route has limited traffic to private roads"
    @ncl3 Strange also on my Rider 410 and 550 these roads are visible when i Zoom in.

You need much more zoom than on your picture.
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    @ncl3 I am firmly in the camp that wants to avoid all the narrow width roads that my Car sat nav delights in sending me down. ;)

Out of casual interest I used Google Street to look at a couple of the above locations and saw "locked gates" at the entrances .

I assume as the places belong to Unesco the roads would be regarded as being "Private" and not accessible to the general public hence why Tomtom does not navigate to these roads?

As noted on the Google map you included, the warning that translates to:
    "this route has limited traffic to private roads"

You're right. Google maps is giving you a way better service than TomTom informing on the the roads and guiding you till the final destinations.
    RoadRider wrote: »
    @ncl3 Strange also on my Rider 410 and 550 these roads are visible when i Zoom in.

You need much more zoom than on your picture.

the last screenshots are taken from MDC and Maps and I presume that I'm looking at the latest maps available. if you look at the bottom right corner you can see that the 2 maps have the same zoom factor (200 m). If I zoom in further I can't see roads, but only water both on MDC and my Rider 450 (with the latest map installed)
    @ncl3 ah I get it now. ;)

Do you meen this road?
    q70ebh76aaeu.jpg

It doesn't go al the way on the TomTom Map.
    dvbsos8txnu0.jpg

Same as on the Michelin Map.
    k764u0icu9ws.jpg

On the OSM map I see less land but more from your road. But is dotted (accessibility)
    e9npfwbw5167.jpg

And Here also less land with road.
    wqb4iu27hzop.jpg

Satellite shows land but I think it will be flooded with high water.
    rprbqp0v5lfk.jpg

So there is a difference in interpretation between map manufacturers. You can report this in TomTom MapShare https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/new/mapshare/#loc=45.33436,12.14633,14.05