Start 42 is practically useless

DiggerDave
DiggerDave Registered Users Posts: 1
New Seeker
My Start42 is going in the bin. It has always taken ages to boot and is then really "Laggy". I have done all of the usual resets etc. I cant believe TomTom released a device as poor as this. Can the firmware be upgraded or something? I usually end up having to use google maps on my phone rather than rely on the damn thing.

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,983
     Superuser
    edited September 2020
    Hi
    @DiggerDave
    Welcome to the site....
    Does the Start 42 have 8GB or 16GB internal Memory... Which Map/s do you have installed....

Important Catch22....
    On the 8GB Models, the early Maps fitted easily onto 8GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... The Map size now exceeds the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices, this is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9GB
    See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Simey
    Simey Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    Why don't I get traffic updates anymore when using my Start 42?
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited November 2020
    Hi
    @Simey
    Tomtom User Guide.... RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014295900-RDS-TMC-Traffic-Receiver-User-Guide

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • MarcoCustodio
    MarcoCustodio Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    My GPS Start 42 is always asking for an update. After updating, it tries to call but again asks for an update.
    What the hell is this that I spent money to use and am forced to use Google Maps or Waze?
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @MarcoCustodio
    Welcome to the site....
    What items are being offered for updating...
    i.e... (NavKit the Tomtom Operating system) Maps, Speed cams etc....

What are the 1st 2 characters of the serial number ??? The two letters define the Tomtom Model....
    v7klz71a1pfg.jpg
    Are you trying to Install/Update the full Europe Map ???
    Important Catch22... If your Start 42 is an 8 GB Device....
    The early Maps fitted easily onto 8 GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... The Map size now exceeds the 8 GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices, this is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9 GB
    Important, see Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Catch 22... If your Start 42 is a 8 GB device....
    @VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators will pick this up and add a small Map to the Account to get past the possible NAV4 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,050
    edited August 2021
    Hi @MarcoCustodio
    I have activated the map Europe map that will get offered to you in smaller countries and regions.
    However, it's important to know what updates are being offered for download under My Content tab in MyDrive Connect.

Also, I would recommend that you exist the MyDrive Connect application from the notification area and delete the HOME3 folder located at -

C:\Users\"Your user name"\AppData\Local\TomTom\

Regards,
    Vikram
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi
    @MarcoCustodio
    Welcome to the site....
    Further to Vikram's post....
    Step-by-step instructions for removing the 'Home3' Folder and if required also removing the 'MyDrive connect' folder....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1134289/connection-problems-mydrive-connect-delete-the-home3-mydrive-connect-folders

Stay safe... ATB YFM