why are town and street names for Ireland now appearing in Irish? — TomTom Community

why are town and street names for Ireland now appearing in Irish?

stephen50stephen50 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
Why are street and town names on the Ireland map now in Irish? I want them in English as they were previously. Use of Irish is confusing.

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,544 Moderator
    Hi @stephen50

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for reporting this, I'll check with my product team.

Regards, lampard
  • Onriver1Onriver1 Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
    edited November 2020
    Hi my latest UK and Ireland map download only has place names in Irish. Is it possible to get English as well?
    Hi there @Onriver1

Welcome to the Community! Is this a GO navigation app or the AmiGO app? Can you also mention the language set in your phone settings?

Regards, lampard
    Thanks Lampard
    I have the Go app and the language is English, applies to everything but place names on the Irish map
    Thanks for coming back @Onriver1! This is already reported earlier and under investigation with our team. I assume this behaviour can only be observed on the Ireland map even though it should be noted that in rural areas, most Street Names will only be captured in Gaelic as no official English name exists.

Regards, lampard
    Thanks. That's exactly the issue, only with the Ireland part of the map
    It isn't only names where there is only a gaelic name but all place names, including Dublin, for example
  • AdamF9595AdamF9595 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    edited November 2020
    Hi,

Just started using the Tom Tom Go app, downloaded a map for Ireland, but all the location names are in Garlic. How do I change them to English?
  • AdamF9595AdamF9595 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Gaelic, bloody predictive text ☺️
  • TenaciousDEKTenaciousDEK Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Any update on this issue?

I have the same problem. I'm Irish, but don't speak Gaelic only English, and so don't recognise the street names!

For example, "Wine Street" in Sligo is listed as "Sráid An Fhíona". In reality, everybody knows it as just "Wine Street".

The majority of people in Ireland are English speaking and according to the 2016 census only 39.9% speak Irish with less than 74,000 speaking it on a daily basis. (See https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/how-much-irish-spoken-in-ireland).

Without getting political (as it can be a touchy subject) and based solely on the statistics, I think it is a dubious decision to default the street names in Irish - assuming these are hard coded into the map itself?

Is it possible that you can provide a choice of maps to download for Ireland - ie Gaelic vs English ?

Or is there an application (or phone) option that will allow switching between the two languages on the fly?
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 442
    Staff
    Any update on this issue?

I have the same problem. I'm Irish, but don't speak Gaelic only English, and so don't recognise the street names!

For example, "Wine Street" in Sligo is listed as "Sráid An Fhíona". In reality, everybody knows it as just "Wine Street".

The majority of people in Ireland are English speaking and according to the 2016 census only 39.9% speak Irish with less than 74,000 speaking it on a daily basis. (See https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/how-much-irish-spoken-in-ireland).

Without getting political (as it can be a touchy subject) and based solely on the statistics, I think it is a dubious decision to default the street names in Irish - assuming these are hard coded into the map itself?

Is it possible that you can provide a choice of maps to download for Ireland - ie Gaelic vs English ?

Or is there an application (or phone) option that will allow switching between the two languages on the fly?

We have ticket reported for this issue under IM-21768. I can see that it is being worked on, so the status is still in progress.
  • smeghead0037smeghead0037 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    edited August 14
    Hi, do you have any updates on this issue? This is still an issue.
    Staff
    According to information that I received, issue should be fixed.
    @smeghead0037 could you please recheck this issue with newest map, that is 41770 that we have released recently?

I checked, and I'm able to find Wine Street in Ireland, and I don't get results for Sráid An Fhíona. Let me know about some other examples that I should check.
    edited August 20
    szachowa wrote: »
    @smeghead0037 could you please recheck this issue with newest map, that is 41770 that we have released recently?

@szachowa I checked, and I'm able to find Wine Street in Ireland, and I don't get results for Sráid An Fhíona. Let me know about some other examples that I should check.

Hi. @szachowa

Ty for the update. I am using that current map version but roads listed in Irish. See screenshot: lmlxxs8i8agl.png

Staff
    I have notified team responsible for delivering the map.
    Staff
    szachowa wrote: »

@szachowa I checked, and I'm able to find Wine Street in Ireland, and I don't get results for Sráid An Fhíona. Let me know about some other examples that I should check.

Hi. @szachowa

Ty for the update. I am using that current map version but roads listed in Irish. See screenshot: lmlxxs8i8agl.png

@smeghead0037
    Issue seems to be fixed. Could you please recheck with newest map, that is 41770?
    Please check screens below, I'm unable to reproduced it. Smaller screen shows information from about with new map.

yfk0prag8k4b.png
    nisgivua75mi.png

Hi. Ty for update that map version is not available in the app. I have map to latest sp4mb134u4o6.jpg

I can't get the newer version.

Thks.
    edited August 26
    38bvq2z2qeor.jpg
    Hi. Map 41770 does not fix the issue. Uninstall, reboot, reinstall, same issue.
  • StrawinskyStrawinsky Posts: 18 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Just guessing, but are the language/region settings of the phone itself recognized by the app and thus different notations of the street names might be shown? But that would assume that the maps are multilingual.
    Staff
    @Strawinsky good point, I set my device language to US.
    I set my language to English UK. And looks like it worked.

Ty for all the help.

ovlj9hyc856t.jpg
    Staff
    Thanks @Strawinsky!