Store maps to SD card - how? — TomTom Community

Store maps to SD card - how?

papadeltasierrapapadeltasierra Posts: 15 [Master Explorer]
I've got an S5 Galaxy with little onboard storage left and a 64GB SD card that is almost empty. How do I stop Tomtom GO Mobile from storing 3GB of maps on the internal storage?

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,318 Moderator
    Hi @papadeltasierra

What's the app version installed on your phone?

Regards, lampard
  • papadeltasierrapapadeltasierra Posts: 15 [Master Explorer]
    2.2.3 release/20.1 (3367). It required a complete reinstall of the app and maps recently (an upgrade!) but still put the maps on the internal memory.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,318 Moderator
    Hi @papadeltasierra

We started rolling out the new version 2.3 to a small number of users which has support for SD cards formatted as internal storage. It should be available to all users in a couple of days.

Regards, lampard
  • dezmodezmo Posts: 42 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    @lampard Would you please so kind to explain:
    What is the difficulty in adding a menu item to the settings?
    "Choose storage location for maps"
    or "Maps Storage"
    Or similar...
    Then the user can select from the list showing the storage's in device with a size and available amount in GB/MB.
    @lampard I've now got version 2.3 but I cannot find anything that allows me to redirect maps to my SD cards. Even as I speak, 2GB of maps are being downloaded onto my phones internal memory, again! So where is the option I have to set?
  • pabapaba Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    @papadeltasierra 2.3 brings for support SD cards formatted as internal storage. This is feature not available on Samsungs devices afaik (at least not officially).

In your case you need to reinstall app as I tried described here

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1718682/#Comment_1718682
    @paba Where can I see the notice from TomTom that SD card support is not available on Samsung devices? And why on earth has Tomtom chosen to create some clearly broken system that "decides" where to put maps instead of a simple control that users can toggle? The recent Tomtom updates have been a complete fiasco and someone at Tomtom needs to get a grip and fix these issues.
  • pabapaba Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    @papadeltasierra

If you follow my link from previous post you can see that sd card was already supported on Samsung devices, I show there how app behaves on galaxy s20.

With version app 2.3 support was extend to devices that support specific Android feature that is when sdcard is format as internal storage. Afaik this feature is not available on Samsung devices.

@paba - Thanks for the clarification. Guess I'm going to have to try the uninstall/reinstall process and see what happens. Wish me luck!
    GRRRR. it doesn't work. I uninstalled, rebooted the phone, reinstalled and it all installed to the internal memory again. So still using almost 5GB of internal storage and not any of the 40GB free on the SD card.
    And don't be fooled by the ability to now move Tomtom to the SD card - this is only the application and does not move the maps.
    Anyone got any further ideas?
  • Michael_ScholzeMichael_Scholze Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited November 2020
    @Crusader3020, Nice from you. Without people like you mobile life would be even harder.
    But one solution could be the "Downgrade button" at the google playstore.
    @Crusader3020 thanks for that info. If I do this, will updates continue to write to the SD card or am I going to have to follow this farcical process each time? Not a jab at you of course but really, is this the best that TomTom can do?
  • iojiioji Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    "ioji wrote:
    If it has room in internal memory, it will install in internal memory but you won't have access to it, probably only with root. I copied some stuff to my internal memory to fill it up and force TomTom to install on sd card where i have access to the files and i can change the voice witch is horrible for my country.

I posted this solution in march in this topic:
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1698166#Comment_1698166

And yes, if you further update your maps, they will install on sd card.