power off , need unit to shut down NOT sleep — TomTom Community

power off , need unit to shut down NOT sleep

I will have to send this unit back if I can't find a way to have it completely shut down when I turn the key to the car off. Now it says my only option is to have it 'sleep' when power is disconnected. For me that's not acceptable, I would have to PUSH the (on/OFF) button to turn it off every time I use it. Help please!
Tagged:

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,022
    Superusers
    edited October 23
    Hi
    @barbminnie
    Welcome to the site....
    Which Tomtom GO Model do you own ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • barbminniebarbminnie Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Model of tomtom go COMFORT is: (on the back of the unit) 4BA63 4BA6.001.02
    On my invoice it says: 1BA6.047.00
    Thank you so much for answering my inquiry for help! barb ( i HAVE No idea what BBCode is). email: [email protected]
    Superusers
    edited October 24
    Hi
    @barbminnie
    If you are concerned about battery life ???
    The Charger Adapter and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time....
    If you use the device on a regular basis... The normal device powering off with the ignition will be OK
    If your car's power socket is always live... Then a short push of the Power Button will give the same results as ignition off....

If you are NOT using the device for an extended period of time...
    A long press of the power button (Press & Hold the power button for + 2 seconds)... The device will display the menu screen with the options
    (1)... Turn Off... Really turn the device 'OFF'
    (2)... Sleep (The same as a short push of the power button)....

For More Info See.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1698416/#Comment_1698416

The only power setting options available are....
    Here... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> Battery Settings...
    Sleep automatically when disconnected from power 'ON'/'OFF'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    This is unbelievable to me. So if I forget when I go on a month trip, to "a long push of the power button will display the menu to really turn the device 'OFF'" as you say, then the unit will draw 'sleep power' for the month and drain my car battery. So please give me info on how to send this unit back. I don't want to have to remember this and I don't want the unit to come on every time I start my car. i'm sorry but WHO designed this? That is nuts.
    Superusers
    edited October 25
    Hi
    @barbminnie
    barbminnie wrote: »
    And I don't want the unit to come on every time I start my car. (Snip)
    As the Tomtom device starts-up as you start your car....
    The power socket in the car must be switched through the ignition switch, so the power socket is OFF when the engine is not running... Therefore, the Tomtom device will NOT run your car battery flat....
    (Snip) So if I forget when I go on a month trip, to "a long push of the power button will display the menu to really turn the device 'OFF'" as you say, then the unit will draw 'sleep power' for the month and drain my car battery. (Snip) I don't want to have to remember this
    As Above, the Tomtom device starts up as you start your car....
    The power socket in the car must be switched through the ignition switch, so the power socket is OFF when the engine is not running... Therefore, the Tomtom device will NOT run your car battery flat....

Also, as the device starts every time you start the car ??? The device must have been left on the Mount in full view of potential Car Thieves....
    A smashed side window and a stolen Sat-Nav is far more inconvenient than removing the device from the mount or a 'long push of the power button'
    So please give me info on how to send this unit back.
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed

(1)... The easy way to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

(2)... The official way to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    So in my new box with gps it says: for stress free help call 866.486.6866 and that number tells me to come back here (because of covid..closed down). I need help with so many things on this gps that it's not going to work for me and I need to send it back before the 14 days return is up. I CAN NOT USE IT. Too many issues for me. But you give me another link to return it. And maybe in England you can't leave your gps up but I have had 2 other tomtom gps (so this is my 3rd one!) which I've left on my UNLOCKED car for over 13 years and have never had one stolen. Just FYI.
    Superusers
    Hi
    Contacting Tomtom Support.....

Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed

(1)... The easy way to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

(2)... The official way to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

ATB YFM