GO crashes in CarPlay mode — TomTom Community

GO crashes in CarPlay mode

I am running the latest version of both iOS and TomTom GO on an iPhone 7 and when I try and use the app in CarPlay mode, it crashes every single time. Not only that, but GO crashes the whole of CarPlay and I have to attempt to reconnect my phone to the car. GO is currently unusable. No other app does it. I thought I had spotted a pattern of the crashes only happening after I had stopped on the motorway for a break, but that is not the case. It can crash at any time. Running other apps like Waze or Spotify or Google Maps does not make CarPlay crash. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Comments

• JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,561
    Community Manager
    Hi @Neillie_100

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear this. Can you still give us the iOS and app version? And what car model and year of build is this about?

Jürgen
  • HansJAVDHansJAVD Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Dear Jürgen, I have a similar problem after the update of the previous 3 year version and taking a subsciption recently. All of a sudden the CarPlay screen in my Volvo XC60 2019 turns black and soon thereafter the ios startscreen appears. One other issue; time and again my CarPlay screen when using TomTom app signals that I should renew my subscription when wanting to usa CarPlay for TomTom.
    Regards, Hans
  • Neillie_100Neillie_100 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Jurgen. I am running iOS 13.6 and version 2.3 of the GO app. The car is a SEAT Arona and the car was built in January 2018. Thanks.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,665
    Superuser
    edited August 2020
    Hi @HansJAVD

The display re subscription is a known issue.

Hi @Neillie_100

Have you tried deleting the App then after turning the phone on again reloading it? Do you connect the Phone to the CarPlay unit via USB and have you got the appropriate cable?

Doug
    Hi Doug, Jurgen et al.

I have deleted the app, rebooted the phone and reinstalled the app. I will give it a try next time I use the car.

Ta, Neil
  • HansJAVDHansJAVD Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Doug, thanks for confirming the issue re. subscription notice as being a known one. I too will re-install the app to see whether that will resolve the issue of the app shutting down unexpectedly.
    Hi All, I have reloaded the app, rebooted phone etc. TomTom still crashes CarPlay. I have used it several times since I reinstalled and the crash happened every time. The app was still running on my phone, showing the route I am on. Sometimes the carplay crash means that GO freezes, and I have to close the app on the phone and reopen it (well my passenger does). Sometimes the crash is total and the Seat screen reboots as if I am first starting the car. It means I can't use the app and if this continues, I will need a refund. It's such a shame because when it works, GO is always my preferred option.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,561
    Community Manager
    @Neillie_100
    Obviously I forgot to mention this in my first response, can you make sure that in Settings > System > Your information Help us learn is enabled? This will make the app send us anonymised logs in case it crashes.

I haven't heard from the team if we were able to reproduce this. But these logs will tell us at what line in the code something went wrong.
    Help Us Learn is on so I hope you are receiving the data.
    Hi. Any developments on this?

Thanks.
    Hello? Hello? Anyone there?
  • DunceantixDunceantix Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi @Neillie_100 I had this happen after updating to ios14. A subsecuent minor update seemed to stop this occuring. Might be worth checking you are on the latest version of ios14.