Device not warning of speed cameras — TomTom Community

Device not warning of speed cameras

PoorsodPoorsod Posts: 13 [Master Explorer]
edited October 15 in Speed Cameras
Hi Guys. There have been a few discussions around this topic but none have helped and TomTom are not supporting technical advice by ringing them. I have tried their on line support but only get directed to pages I have seen before and which haven’t helped. I have a TomTom Go 520 with a lifetime membership for speed cameras. I have done a ‘soft’ reset and a factory reset. Speed cameras are activated on my device. When I connect the device to my laptop by USB I do not get asked ‘Do you want to connect to a computer.’ One help page suggests uninstalling and reinstalling speed cameras with TomTom Home but my understanding is TomTom Home only supports older devices. I have logged in with MyDrive Connect, the device starts automatically and I get a window ‘Update the Device the Easy Way’. I am supposed to go to Settings>Updates on my device and update my PND (whatever that might be.) The device update screen just says it is up to date. Another help page gives instructions to uninstall speed cameras from MyDrive Connect but when I log in I do no not get ‘My Content’ at the top left of the page and therefore cannot access ‘My Device’ My Content’ or My Account’. Now I have managed to log in and access my account through a TomTom link on the internet. My device is shown but there is nothing under ‘Orders’ or ‘Subsciptions’. If I click ‘Updates’ I am being asked to purchase Maps and Services including speed cameras. I think it really needs someone from TomTom to access my account as I think that’s where the problem lies so hopefully someone can pick this up and help.

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,584
    Superuser
    Hi @Poorsod

Hopefully @VikramK can look at your unit settings on the TT servers and sort if necessary. Look back here later.

Your comments re Do it the easy way are saying what should happen as all you are doing when connecting to a PC with e software running is using it as an avenue to the internet. When you see that screen then you have to use the menu options on the GO520 to manage what you want to happen.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,559 Moderator
    Hi @Poorsod

Welcome to the community!

I reviewed your account and I don't see any issues with the subscriptions. Also the device has the latest speed camera updates installed.

Could be related to a software glitch, I would recommend that you do a factory reset and test it when you drive next time on a planned route.

Main menu- Settings- System- Reset device.

To avoid losing your stored favorites on the device you can create a back-up using MyDrive..

See user guide

Regards, Vikram
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,559 Moderator
    Hi @Poorsod

Welcome to the community!

I reviewed your account and I don't see any issues with the subscriptions. Also the device has the latest speed camera updates installed.

Could be related to a software glitch, I would recommend that you do a factory reset and test it when you drive next time on a planned route.

Main menu- Settings- System- Reset device.

To avoid losing your stored favorites on the device you can create a back-up using MyDrive..

See user guide

Regards, Vikram
  • PoorsodPoorsod Posts: 13 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Guys Thanks for getting back to me.

Doug - The screen we're referring to - I have seen a screenshot and I do not appear to have the options ‘My Device’ My Content’ or My Account’ when I log in. If I had My Content, I could then go into Speed Cameras and Uninstall. Hopefully I could then reinstall but not got that far.

Vikram - I have tried the reset and still no cameras. However, you mention a 'glitch' and that reminded me that the last time I downloaded an update it was taking too long so I either 'cancelled' or 'postponed' I am not sure which. I seem to recall I lost my maps but managed to get them back - not sure what I did. According to my device the last update was 06/2020. I wonder if I lost my speed cameras at that point - Paul (BTW - not sure where @Poorsod came from...?)
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,987
    Superusers
    edited October 13
    Hi
    @Poorsod
    Welcome to the site....

Download GO 520 Wi-Fi User Manual....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014362699-GO-520-Wi-Fi-User-Manual
    Poorsod wrote: »
    (Snip) The screen we're referring to - I have seen a screenshot and I do not appear to have the options ‘My Device’ My Content’ or My Account’ when I log in. If I had My Content, I could then go into Speed Cameras and Uninstall. Hopefully I could then reinstall but not got that far (Snip)
    Unlike the NAV4 devices from your quote above... The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices DO NOT have access to the MyDrive Connect menus....
    ALL updates are executed on the NAV5 (Wi-Fi) GO 520....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi....
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB....

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on Your WI-FI name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi

zzb10t6jrg2v.jpg
    Updating the device....
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items

Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained....
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wi-Fi) devices connected over Wi-Fi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if MyDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps

Connecting hard-wired over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    Updating your new device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here..... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

There's no need to login to MyDrive Connect... See Note... (1)
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    The Update will hopefully complete

If you're using a Laptop it would be also more advisable to use a hard-wire connection back from the Laptop to the Router....

Note... (1) MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wi-Fi" etc....

27bxc59f2s23.png
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wi-Fi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC Taskbar... The NAV(5 Wi-Fi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks for coming back to me and for your comprehensive notes / videos. As I appear to have a NAV5 device that probably explains why I don’t get any menu options when I log into My Drive Connect.

I usually update my device by wi-fi but I disconnected the device from the car and connected to my laptop on this occasion in the hope of being able to sort my speed camera issue with reference to TomTom Help and / or My Drive Connect.

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi
    My device is connected to wi-fi and I have logged into my account. I have gone to Updates and it shows that the device is up to date. The status is connected, the signal strength is fair, link speed 57mbs, frequency 2.4ghz.

Option 1 Connected by Wi-fi
    Update screen says the device is up to date
    Maps screen shows the current map (UK and NI) with the option to choose another map and add or delete a map.

Option 2 Connected by USB
    MyDrive Connect is downloaded to the desktop on my laptop. In Updates, device still says it is up to date.

So I'm still struggling
    Superuser
    edited October 13
    Hi @Poorsod

Based on your comment in the following Post maybe @VikramK can check if that means they have to push the camera file for your unit again.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1729326/#Comment_1729326

Look back tomorrow.

Doug
    Thanks Doug
    I agree - its a case of somehow trying to get round the fact that my device says it is up to date and therefore leaving me with no other options. Cheers.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Poorsod
    Also Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu)
    Are any 'Sound Icons' slashed through ??? it’s really easy to turn off a Sound Icon when swiping through the Menus

v412wdu3g07c.jpg
    For general improvement using the Tomtom Speed Cam Database over the default settings

Always use a Computer voice...
    Serena or Malcolm in the UK
    Also....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed... (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red-light Camera'
    'Accident Black-spots
    ‘Spoken Traffic delays’

Speed Cams
    If you keep a check on the Traffic-bar... The device gives you a visual Warning of the next Fixed or Mobile Speed Camera many miles before you reach the camera
    Even more info if in the 'Setting menus' you setup a Wide Traffic/Route Bar
    93197384-69ec-4f9d-b7ae-f68a6f82ffae.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks for your suggestions. No sound icons slashed through, but I have changed some settings.
    ‘Warning To’ changed from ‘Sounds’ to ‘Read Aloud’
    ‘When Speeding’ changed from ‘Off’ to ‘On’
    ‘Read aloud traffic warnings’ changed from ‘Off’ to ‘On’

I’ll come back tomorrow after I’ve been out on the road but I am certain there were no speed cameras in the traffic bar when I came home tonight.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone’s help.

Superusers
    Hi Again
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi, I have but will try it again tomorrow before taking the car out to see if anything has changed.
    Paul
    Morning Everyone - Well I tried the 'soft' reset and unfortunately the speed cameras do not show in the traffic bar and I get no voice warning. I wonder if basically, speed cameras are just not installed on the device (although the device does say speed cameras are activated). The problem is because the 'Update' screen shows eveything is up to date, I can't really get any deeper. I wonder therefore if there is a way of sending me a speed camera update. Alternatively, I wait for the next maps update (my current version is 06/2020) but more importantly a speed camera update - does anyone know when the next one is due. At least that way the device should pick up there is an update pending and hopefully I will be able to download it.

Open to any other suggestions - Paul
    Superusers
    edited October 14
    Hi
    @Poorsod
    Check....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About....
    Are Traffic & Speed Cams showing Activated ???

Check....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System -->
    Your Information & Privacy.... Use my Location and the information I enter to receive Tomtom services....

i8c2bbx68y7m.jpg
    Stay safe.... ATB YFM
    Accepted Answer
    Hey Doug - you're a star....!! I Reloaded the operating software and out of nowhere the speed cameras are back.....!!

Thanks again and to everyone else who contributed
    Paul
    Superuser
    edited October 14
    Hi @Poorsod

Thats a beer you owe me then. 😂😂Will you now be known as happysod?????

Just for the record in future ensure you do your updates one at a time and when finished it is a good idea to do a Soft Reset as it tidies up the files on the unit.

Doug
    Ha, ha. Not actually sure where Poorsod came from - I think it was a default. I can now work on my laptop losing the wireless connection to my printer, and my Virgin Superhub flashing a green light at me for the last 5 days. Don't you just love technology...!!
    Thanks again
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Poorsod
    Glad you're sorted :) Don't forget to go through the Setting menus and check the device is set up how you like it

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Yup, will do
    Paul
    Afternoon all. I have not written on this blog for a couple of days so I am not sure this will get picked up.

Unfortunately the problem has returned – see above. I reported on Wednesday that the speed camera display and warnings were working. I went out in the car on Friday to do some shopping and I got a visual and audio warning as I approached the speed camera at the top of my road. However, on the return journey I didn’t.

Yesterday I thought I would do a more circular route to pick up two other speed cameras in the area. Although I set off in a different direction, due to the proximity of the nearby speed camera, it was displayed in the traffic bar. I got a speed camera display and warning from the two other speed cameras on my route, but I didn’t get one as I approached the speed camera near to me. Even though it had been displayed on my outward journey it was not displayed now.

I turned round to do a reverse journey and I was not warned of any of the three cameras.

I have done a further recovery of the device which seemed to work last time and when the device came on, I set a local route and the speed camera near to me was displayed in the traffic bar.

This morning I tried the circular route again and I was not warned of any of the three cameras. Not sure where we go now.

My questions are: does anyone know when the next speed cameras update is. That may just clear the problem.

Is it possible to return the unit to TomTom for one of their technicians to take a look.

If none of the above, then I am left with a device that really isn’t of any use. If I were to purchase another device would my lifetime maps and speed cameras be carried over.

Thanks
    Superuser
    Hi @Poorsod

I have a speed cameras update availble to download at the moment. What I don't know is how log that has been available.

Really odd that sometimes they show and other times not.

Regarding buying another unit the maps and cameras on your current unit are tied to that device and are not transferable. The buying a new unit check what map, traffic and cameras updates are offered. Most seem to have Lifetime maps and traffic but some like the Go Basic and Go Essential required additional payments Cameras going.

Doug
    OK, I'll leave it for a couple of weeks and see if I get a speed camera update to download. If not I think I will have to consider buying a new sat nav. Thanks for your advice about looking to see what updates are offered.
  • polmapolma Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited November 9
    Good night, I have the same problem as @poorsod, radars that appear and disappear, I have tried to restore the system and for now they have reappeared, we will see when I test en route if it tells me or not

Mod edit: Machine translated from Spanish!
    Hi Polma. I managed to get this sorted by contacting TomTom support via email. They managed to push a speed camera update down to me and once I had downloaded it, my speed cameras are back. Hope this helps.