Rider 550 Feature request: avoid a road or an area (like in the Garmin Zumo XT) — TomTom Community

Rider 550 Feature request: avoid a road or an area (like in the Garmin Zumo XT)

uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 75 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
The Garmin Zumo XT gives you the option to avoid a certain road or area altogether. https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-E024D22C-EA17-40B3-A63F-E9535D86014B/EN-US/GUID-350A01FB-E11E-4851-8A93-F3DD7DA2862D.html

It would be nice if TomTom added the same to the Rider 550 and to its Android app.

This feature is very useful in a number of cases:
  • a road closure has been reported to TomTom but not yet updated
  • a road closure is only temporary
  • the road is closed only to certain vehicles (e.g. only residents can pass through)

I have been caught out by quite a few such situations recently and in the end I used Waze from my phone, as that was up to date with all the closures.

Also, there is a specific itinerary for which I cannot rely on TomTom because it often wants me to go through a road which is permanently closed.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,337
    Superusers
    Hi
    @uktomtommer
    Use the Mapshare Route planner tool to inform Tomtom about the problematic closed road....
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/new/mapshare/#loc=0.00000,0.00000,2
    Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 75 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I had already done it but the map has not been updated. In cases like these, Garmin's feature of avoiding a specific road or area is very useful
  • TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 159 [Exalted Navigator]
    Guys,
    I'm sure I've used this feature on earlier models of TomToms. Found it useful to steer a route to use some bits of motorway and not others rather than the blanket block or use nicer roads. It actually gave the owner some control. I also find suggestions to use other external tools to get around short comings of the newer units not helpful. Personally I don't want to have yet another tool to learn or carry with me.

Clearly another example of them making the kin thing better.

Just thinking... perhaps the older user interface made including these now lost features so much easier.
    Superusers
    edited October 2020
    Hi
    @TigerRider
    All of the previous Tomtom NAV2, NAV3 PND's had this feature.... Then shortly after the launch of the NAV4 GO 5000, Tomtom removed the option on the NAV4 devices for the user to make unverified Mapshare changes on the device....
    After the change they only allowed Mapshare changes that had been verified and issued by Tomtom to be installed....

Stay Safe ATB YFM
  • TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 159 [Exalted Navigator]
    Guys ,

Thanx to @YamFazMan for clarifying this one. I was thinking more at addressing @uktomtommer points 2 and 3 (see above).

1. a road closure has been reported to TomTom but not yet updated
    2. a road closure is only temporary
    3. the road is closed only to certain vehicles (e.g. only residents can pass through)

Triggered by YFM's input I just found how to AVOID roads on a generated route. I did this in the garage without gloves, not sure I could have done in on bike (Tiger) and with gloves. Maybe the gloves thing is why I hadn't found it yet.

Follow the Current Route option and swipe to Avoid Blocked Road then wing it from there. Other options are available.

Gloved fingers too big for selection and the sensitivity options never work for me and they (gloves) usually slide off somewhere if I take them off on bike.

So, neck wound in on this one, thanx to YFM. I'm still struggling with the Rider550's SMART phone type interface, particularly with gloves, and still missing my old "Just Give the Big Icon a Prod" Rider2 interface which worked for me with gloves.
    Superusers
    edited October 2020
    Hi
    @TigerRider
    Yes with a route planned....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Current Route...
    For .ITN Routes you have 3 options....
    Avoid part of the route....
    Avoid a Blocked road
    Avoid Road types

Stay Safe... ATB YFM