Subscription Modell seems to prevent my wife from using TomTom GO v2.x — TomTom Community

Subscription Modell seems to prevent my wife from using TomTom GO v2.x

jbjoretjbjoret Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
We have one car in the family so my wife and I had a subscription and each of us could use TomTom GO on their iPhone (never at the sometime). Now it seems that the subscription is linked to the Apple ID and not the TomTom account. This is really bad because even if use an Apple Family Account it looks like we now need 2 subscriptions instead of one. This is for me out of question. Anybody having the same experience ? Any suggestions ?

Thx

Best Answers

Answers

• lampardlampard Posts: 4,991 Moderator
    Hi @jbjoret

Welcome to the Community! Since the GO Navigation app has auto-renewing subscriptions, they are linked to the Apple ID. And subscriptions cannot be shared under Family Sharing: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203046

Regards, lampard
  • jbjoretjbjoret Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Thank you for the answer. I would very much appreciate though if you could forward my concern to your PO. The consequence for me is that the price just doubled from the last version and subscription that I had so far without any additional value (of course the app improves constantly which is also one of the reasons I have subscribed 3 years ago). I like my TomTom GO app very much, but still this is an issue for me.
    Thank you. I hope this actually changes things. I love the App, but I will cancel my 6 months subscription and go for monthly holiday one only if this is not addressed. Thank you Lampard for the answer, this forum is very valuable. I hope the feedback give TomTom also insight on an issue that might not have been considered yet.
    Any feedback from the team ?
    Hi @jbjoret

As I mentioned earlier, this is something which only Apple controls. Subscriptions to our app are considered 3rd party subscriptions. This means GO Navigation subscriptions cannot be shared.

Family Sharing on GO Navigation's App Store listing refers to the ability to share App Purchases among family members. In this specific case, Apple also considers "free-to-download" apps, like GO Navigation, as App Purchases. Unfortunately, Family Sharing of Apple Subscriptions is limited to Apple Music, Apple News+, Apple Arcade, and Apple TV+, meaning 3rd party Apple Subscriptions, like GO Navigation's, are not shareable.

Regards, lampard
  • RCoenenRCoenen Posts: 25 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I find this strange to hear. I bought a subscription last year and together with my girlfriend I was able to use 1 subscription for the whole year. So two devices that are logged in on the same account (the account with the paid subscription).

My subscription expired last week and I'm thinking about renewing it but it would be a pity if this didn't work out. I rarely use TomTom but my girlfriend uses it on an almost daily basis. It would be a shame to have to buy two subscriptions for this.
  • RCoenenRCoenen Posts: 25 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    So, I just renewed my license for a week to test it and indeed, it's not possible to share a subscription anymore which is pitty. But since Apple controls it we can't be mad at TomTom.

I do wonder why it worked till last week, both running the latest iOS. Maybe because things were different a year ago when I bought the subscription.
    Yes, things were different, TomTom did not delegate the subscription management to Apple :(. I am not mad at all at TomTom, it is just a stupid thing for me since we only have one car, paying two subscriptions does not make sense. I cancelled my renewal for this reason. I will definitely resubscribe the day the offer is back.
    Awesome! I will get back to a longer subscription as soon as you have this. I am very positively surprised that you thought of this discussion thread again and replied 1 day after iOS14 announcement. That is from my perspective a very good indicator of your company's quality standards. Ii is very much appreciated.
  • MarkPrinsMarkPrins Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    As IOS14 has just been made public, I noticed I was not yet able to share TomTom Go with my family. Hope this is still on your radar as it kinda bums me out that I have to pay for two subscriptions :)
    Hi @MarkPrins

Welcome to the Community! Have a look at the response here from Jürgen: https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1725767/#Comment_1725767

Regards, lampard
  • KevinMayfieldKevinMayfield Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I find this a strange response. I have one account, an android and iPhone device. I paid for my subscription using apple.
    This payment isn't shared accross my devices. I see from the above responses you are saying this is apples fault. Surely this is how you decided to get the payment from apple and not apples fault.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,584
    Superuser
    Hi @KevinMayfield

The posts you are referring to do not blame Apple. They said that when IOS14 is issued they will be looking to introduce the function concerned. @Jürgen actually acknowledges that IOS14 is now out but that they (TT) still have to do some work on it but he cannot give any specific date when it will be available.

Doug