Problem with Rider 400 Charging — TomTom Community

Problem with Rider 400 Charging

Paulie49Paulie49 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited September 25 in RIDER
Hi all, wondered if anyone can help with a problem I have with my Rider 400, it is about 4 years old, used quite a lot but is well looked after - but seems to have developed a fault.

I have a connection cable to the live circuit of my bike and that feeds 12V (confirmed), I then have the TomTom handlebar mount with 2 connection pins in it. I get 5V there with both the pins out and with the pins pushed in. So I am sure that is all OK. I can also charge the Satnav from a USB connection (but it seems very slow to full charge).

But - it doesn't charge when mounted on the bike. It used to be fine but then on one ride it started disconnecting as though the ignition had been switched off, then it would reconnect and then repeat until it just stopped charging completely. So I am sure it is something internal in the satnav as I am happy the power is at the mounting OK.

As a temporary messure I have been charging via a power socket on the bike running a cable to the USB port but that isn't realistic when we get to winter.

I am guessing that it is not viable to get it fixed so thought I might take it part myself - any thoughts/advice?

Thanks,Paul

Best Answer

Answers

• Paulie49Paulie49 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi @YamFazMan and thanks for the detailed response - much appreciated.

I am using a mount similar to this but only has 2 pins and is fitted on the 4 handlebar bolts. Does this need to be earthed as I thought the power in/out cable took care of that? But happy to be corrected!

Thanks again, Paulni8hgkq5gase.jpg
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,993
    Superusers
    edited September 23
    Hi
    @Paulie49
    I'm talking about the Red positive and Black negative wires of the supplied Tomtom Mount....

You haven't stated how you connected the wiring of the Mount to the bike...

Mine is under the seat, connected directly to the battery via a short fly lead to a 12v car power socket and fused plug on the Tomtom lead....

The example in my 1st reply... The user had connected the Red positive wire to a circuit switched through the Ignition switch, and Black negative wire of the mount connected to a small fixing bolt on the headstock....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Gotcha - I'll check it out this week. Thanks again.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 592 [Revered Pioneer]
    edited September 20
    Bad contacts are known to produce this errors.
    Manny people use quick an easy ways to connect new electrical systems. Connectors like the one below are known for there bad contacts.

ohmeron-quick-splice-stroomdiefje-rood-100x.jpg

It is better to solder your connection.
    Hey @YamFazMan and @RoadRider, thanks so much for the help. Managed to get a few hours today and found a dodgy earth connection where the solder was broken so sometime it would connect and then it would fail. All sorted. Cheers guys
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,993
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Paulie49
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM