tomtom go 620 wifi - How to interrupt a recovery loop? — TomTom Community

tomtom go 620 wifi - How to interrupt a recovery loop?

klosteryklostery Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
recovery loop
tomtom go 620 wifi

Hi,

my tomtom go 620 wifi has the same problem as others:
- After some power cycles it entered the recovery mode.
- I started mydrive connect (windows 10) and connect the tomtom via usb.
- Mydrive reported "Ihr Gerät wird wieder instandgesetzt." (reported recovery operation).
- Mydrive downloaded from the web (ca. 50 Mbit/s for 60 s).
- Mydrive may copy the program into the tomtom.
- The tomtom restarted, a white bar from the lower left corner growed to the lower right corner.
- The tomtom rebooted two times and shows the recovery screen.
- And the loop started again with download from the web ...

After 12h (half a day) I stopped it by disconnecting usb, on-off button was ignored.

I also cleared the subdirectories of the tomtom appdata - without effect to the recovery loop.

I opened the tomtom and disconnected the battery for more than 60s. It resets the RTC but didn't affect the recovery loop.

Tomtom runs a linux system which may check the sd card for a bootable system.
How to prepare the sd card to recover the system?

Klaus

Best Answer

• klosteryklostery Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited September 21 Accepted Answer
    End of the story:

After some chats and some days my tomtom got the next software update. With the new software the updates of maps, radar and PIOs has been successful.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,567
    Superuser
    Hi @klostery

If you have a map on the internal memory then try taking out any extra memory card installed and starting the unit.

Doug
    edited August 11
    Hi Doug,
    thanks for your quick reply!

The tomtom is operated witout sd card because we use only some european countries located on the internal memory.

Just for testing I inserted an empty sd card -> no change.
    I removed the cd card -> no change.

no change = press and release the on-off button, tomtom boots, displays "tomtom" until drum sound, add world map as backgroung, white bargraph grows until center of the screen and stopps, reboots, displays "tomtom" without sound, switches to "don't disconnect"-screen.
    Connecting the PC starts mydrive with recovery and loops and loops ...

While displaying the "don't disconnect"-screen the on-off button is operable and switches the device off.

Klaus
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,991 Moderator
    Hi @klostery

Welcome to the Community! I think you already tried the things which we normally advise. I made some changes at the backend to push the navcore application for your device, please Soft reset (make sure you hear the drum sound) the device and connect to PC. Start MyDrive Connect and let the updates will go through automatically. Once that part is a success, download the map and test.

Otherwise, get in touch with our support via Chat/Email and they'll be able to assist you further.

Regards, lampard
    Superuser
    Hi @klostery

Video re Soft Reset.

Doug
    Hi Doug and Lampard,

thanks for your help - but nothing changed :-(

- The soft reset has been executed including drum sound and after several boots I got the info screen with hardware name, device id, etc. I took a photo.
    - With three ticks to the on-off button the tomtom restarts into the recovery mode with "don't disconnect"-screen.
    - Then I connected the usb cable to tomtom and mydrive connect started the recovery with download from web ...
    - After three loops I interrupted it by operating the on-off button.

- I started the tomtom with usb connection and soft reset to enter the info screen.
    - Compared with the data from yesterday all data on the info screen are unchanged exept battery voltage and time.

Klaus
    Superuser
    Hi @klostery

Not sure what @lampard or @VikramK can suggest now. Look back later.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,555 Moderator
    Hi @klostery
    I am afraid I am out of troubleshooting advice here. My suggestion would be to get in touch with customer service. They probably could take a call and decide if this is a hardware related fault.

Thanks, Vikram
    edited August 14
    Hi Doug and Lampard,

thanks a lot for your support!

Today I chatted with the customer service. They want it back to fix the problem.

I used my tomtom since Jan. 2019. That's a very short life for an electronic device. To be compared: my formerly navigation system - a navigon 70 - was operable for more than seven years.

Klaus.

Superuser
    Hi @klostery

Glad you managed to sort something out. I have TT units that are more than 7 years old and still going so it seems you have been unfortunate..

Doug
    Hi Doug,

yesterday I received my tomtom back from repair. :-)

It required four chat sessions and 11 days to get a repair ticket booked.
    Shipping of the device and repair (only installation of new software) needs less time - they are quick.

After execution of the custom setup my places and my routes are back.
    The installed maps and poi's are obsolete and tomtom ask for updates.
    The updates are always interrupted shortly after start and terminated with the error message "Ups. Ein Fehler ist aufgetreten ..."

Where is the protocol located to look for the reason of this error?

Klaus.

edited September 21 Accepted Answer
    End of the story:

After some chats and some days my tomtom got the next software update. With the new software the updates of maps, radar and PIOs has been successful.