Variable speed limits broken since months — TomTom Community

Variable speed limits broken since months

CLabsCLabs Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
Hi,

Ever since the Netherlands introduced a max speed of 100KM/h between 6AM and 7PM every day, my TomTom Carminat keeps displaying 100KM/h even on roads that allow 120 or 130KM/h after 7PM. This goes for the entire country, its not just one road or one bad location: it's at *all* the highways, the TomTom is simply incapable of showing anything other than a 100KM/h limit. Strangely, it used to work before (such as near Arnhem where we've had a 100km/h limit during the day and 130KM/h after 7PM for years.)

I opened a support ticket about it in May where a very friendly rep, Sevgi, informed me that it was a known software bug, that TomTom acknowledges the problem can occur on certain devices and that TomTom was going to fix it in the next update come June. After installing the software, map and speedcam updates: the problem unfortunately still wasn't fixed. :( The TomTom still shows 100KM/h everywhere; even after 7PM. (Note: it actually did get fixed on the TomTom GO 5000, just not on the Carminat. So it looks good on MS, but it doesn't work on the TomTom itself.)

Does anyone at TomTom know when this promised fix will be pushed so that my TomTom starts showing the proper speeds after 7PM again wherever there's a variable limit? :)
Tagged:

Comments

• edineiedinei Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited August 23
    I have this problem too. Since 2006 there has been a limit of 100 km / h on the A12 in Tyrol (Austria). The map from April 2020 on my new Premium GO still shows 130 km / h. For weeks I have always communicated the correction on MapShare. Nothing has changed. A scandal.

Mod edit: Machine translated (German)
  • CLabsCLabs Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited August 23
    edinei wrote: »
    I have this problem too. Since 2006 there has been a limit of 100 km / h on the A12 in Tyrol (Austria). The map from April 2020 on my new Premium GO still shows 130 km / h. For weeks I have always communicated the correction on MapShare. Nothing has changed. A scandal.

Yeah its even worse here, it doesn't work on any motorway ever since they changed it. :( Reporting it on MapShare is impossible as it affects hundreds of kilometers of roads. TomTom did acknowledge the problem and said it'd be fixed in June, but they never fixed it. :( According to @Jürgen it should've been fixed in March already, but not true - variable speed limits simply don't seem to function; it always says 100 on highways ("snelwegen", Dutch autobahn so to say haha) no matter what.
    Hm, too bad TomTom keeps ignoring the issue ever since May and doesn't respond to it anywhere. :(
  • JohanSomersJohanSomers Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I recognise the same problem. I also want to add that the remaining travel time is not calculated correctly. Although my TomTom shows 100 km/h as the limit, the remaining travel time goes up if you are speeding. In other words they're still using 120 / 130 km/h in their calculations.
  • Wim56Wim56 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Tomtom promised me two months ago, bij chat, that this problem should be fixed with a few weeks. Unfortunately.
    edited September 16
    Wim56 wrote: »
    Tomtom promised me two months ago, bij chat, that this problem should be fixed with a few weeks. Unfortunately.

Same here! Exactly the same! They told me somewhere in April/May that they were aware of the bug and that it would be fixed "in the next Map update". Then the next map update came: nothing. Now another map update has been released: still nothing.

I've went to talk to customer support about it and asked them when they expect to fulfil their promise, and I kept getting ridiculous replies that I must report all the problems on Map Share, meaning having to submit thousands of reports to fix all the areas where it displays 100 instead of 130 after 7PM... I said that was ridiculous and couldn't do it and that she could do it instead if she wanted to, but no way I was able to do that. Then she told me that if she had to do it, I had to submit "the address of the roads". But as you well know, the highways in the Netherlands don't exactly have "addresses". So, kind as I was, I've instead sent her a full map of the Netherlands showing *exactly* all the problem areas; updated and all, marked with colours, road numbers, etc. Guess what she replies? "Still not seeing an address, can't help you". *facepalm* She refused to answer my question directly and instead chose to bully me in to abandoning the ticket. Really weird and I don't understand why she wouldn't just to go talk to the people who had already acknowledged the problem and are responsible for resolving it. Absolutely horrible experience and in the meantime: TomTom still hasn't fixed this super annoying problem.

I think we're screwed and TomTom simply isn't going to fix it anymore. Two full map updates since they promised it to us, and still no resolution, nor any reasonable response from TomTom whatsoever. Not in the support tickets nor here on this board... The Carminat is simply broken and TomTom, by the looks of it, is not going to fix it. Or maybe they're only going to fix it once our subscriptions expire, so we're forced to buy a new one just to get the new map that fixes this issue - despite their promises to fix it months ago.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,454 Moderator
    edited September 17
    Hi @CLabs

The speed limit changes on the TomTom models require firmware dependencies along with the latest maps and services.

Unfortunately, the Carminat model runs on software that is not upgradable to the latest version that runs our Nav4 and the Nav4.5 models.

Please see the release notes for version: 13.030.(Time-dependent speed limits)

Apologies on behalf of the customer service.

Regards, Vikram
  • HarrieHarrie Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited September 27
    Dear TomTom,
    For some time now, the maximum speed on Dutch motorways has been 100 km / h during the day.
    On an x number of motorways, the maximum speed between 19:00 - 06:00 is 120 or 130 km / h
    Recently I bought a new card for my built-in tomtom in my Mazda.
    The main reason for this was, for me, that I thought it a pity that the maximum speed indicated by my tomtom was not in line with the current regulations.
    To my surprise, however, the new map shows 100 km / h everywhere and always on motorways, while this is not correct.
    My surprise was all the greater when I heard that a colleague had purchased a new tomtom that did indicate the correct maximum speed, taking into account the time (so 100 km / h during the day and 120 or 130 km / h between 19:00 - 06 : 00 hours).
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Hoping for an answer from you,
    Kind regards,
    Harrie van Leuven

Mod edit: Machine translated (Dutch)
  • Wim56Wim56 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am using the GO LIVE 1005 with map-updates... without the expected speed limit changes. I cannot update to the right platform too? Question for me: why will I use Tomtom when free alternatives are better?
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @CLabs

The speed limit changes on the TomTom models require firmware dependencies along with the latest maps and services.

Unfortunately, the Carminat model runs on software that is not upgradable to the latest version that runs our Nav4 and the Nav4.5 models.

Please see the release notes for version: 13.030.(Time-dependent speed limits)

Apologies on behalf of the customer service.

Regards, Vikram

Hi Vikram,

Wow that sucks. :( Why doesn't TomTom modify the compatible firmware then...? It's only a small change and it's a *crucial* feature for a navigation device. TomTom should put in some effort to update these devices. Why do we have to pay absurd amounts for card updates if TomTom deliberately ensures that we cannot actually properly use those maps? We should be getting the cards for free then or at the very least discounted because of TomTom's refusal to ensure compatibility with these hard-wired devices. :(

I see release 2014, but: a.) that means the built-in device was only supported by TomTom for a mere four years? I mean, that would be a good reminder never to buy an integrated one by TomTom ever again due to lack of crucial software updates. b.) it did use to show dynamic speed limits for 100 vs 130 on some roads, so there must be some compatibility...

Really sad to hear TomTom doesn't care about its clients and leaves us to hang with a broken navigation device like this. A device that we cannot replace and is now nothing more than a low-resolution screen in the car without function. I guess that means we're forced to use something like Apple Maps + FlitsMeister instead of our super expensive TomTom built-in navigation device. Really bad marketing for TomTom, not caring like that and not properly supporting/upgrading devices.
  • eddydceddydc Posts: 50 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Should the variable speed limits also work on the Android app? I don't have tested things out in The Netherlands, but we have a lot of zone 30 around school areas where these limits are only valid during certain hours, but the speed limit always shows 30, also during holidays.