Rider 550: bluetooth doesn't work if connected to wifi + other BT issues — TomTom Community

Rider 550: bluetooth doesn't work if connected to wifi + other BT issues

uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 72 [Master Explorer]
I have a Huawei P20 Pro android phone; I made sure to exempt the MyDrive app from battery optimisation, so it can always run in the background.

I noticed that, if the Rider is connected to the home wifi, it will NOT connect to my phone. Is there a way to fix this?
No big deal, I thought: the wifi signal reaches the spot where the bike is parked, but, the moment I ride away, the Rider will connect to the phone, right? WRONG! The Rider connects to the phone ONLY if I open the MyDrive app and manually click on the icon in the top right, so my options are:
  1. make the Rider forget the wifi, or
  2. ride a few metres, stop again, pull out the phone, open the app, wait for phone and Rider to connect, put the phone back in my jacket, ride off

Also, smartphone messages and hands-free calling used to work, but not any more. Any ideas why?

I have already tried multiple times the IT approach of unpairing and repairing.

Comments

• uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 72 [Master Explorer]
    Does your Rider ever connect to the phone when the Rider is connected to wifi?

As for smartphone messages and hands-free calling, of course I get it that those functions only work if the MyDrive app is connected; my point is that, even when the MyDrive app is connected, these no longer work. They used to, but not any more.

Yes, I paired with the QR code.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 598 [Revered Pioneer]
    Does your Rider ever connect to the phone when the Rider is connected to wifi?
    No WiFi has a higher priority than the Bluetooth connection.

I think it is best to remove te pairing. Drum reset the Rider and Clear the hidden Cache of your phone (Google for how to) and repair.
    This solves most BT problems (Clear the hidden Cache is the most important step)
  • uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 72 [Master Explorer]
    So it is by design that the Rider won't connect to BT if it is connected to wifi? Is this mentioned anywhere in the documentation??

I have already done the IT approach multiple times; on gadgets this expensive, I shouldn't really have to, to be honest. Huge disappointment.

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 598 [Revered Pioneer]
    Sometimes my Rider also doesn’t connect with my phone.
    Than it’s alway’s the phone that is causing the problem after I reboot my phone everything works again.
    Not that ‘this is a real problem last year I had to do this only two times. This year I installed a new Android version and dit not have to do this reboot (yet).