Why is my Rider 550 not charging when in the mount? — TomTom Community

Why is my Rider 550 not charging when in the mount?

tdefflertdeffler Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited September 7 in RIDER
I've wired the mount for the Rider 550 into my motorcycle's Aux circuit. When I turn the ignition on, the Rider 550 does not start charging.

Using a voltmeter:
  • There is 12v to the wires coming into the mount
  • There is over 6v across the pins of the mount (analog meter, the exact decimal voltage is a guess, but it's well over 6v.
  • The pin on the right when facing the mount is positive, the other negative.
  • The charging symbol does not appear on the Rider 550 and, after a while, checking the status shows that power has declined.

Answers

• tdefflertdeffler Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Also want to add that undocking the unit or turning the bike's ignition off does not bring up the message that the unit will be going to sleep...which I interpret as meaning it never thought it was on external power in the first place.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,022
    Superusers
    edited September 4
    Hi
    @tdeffler
    Welcome to the site....
    To eliminate a mount fault... Have you tried connecting the Mount directly to the battery or a different 12v supply....

Do you know the output current of the Aux circuit ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • tdefflertdeffler Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited September 5
    No I haven't tried an alternate power source yet because that means taking everything apart and unfishing the wire. That's my plan for this weekend, I guess.

I was corrected on a Harley forum that that connector was not for the aux circuit but for the chassis cooling fan. If that's true, then the current is either quite good for my purposes (fan) or possibly minimal (fan powered elsewhere and this is just for relay switch).

I guess I'll do some more exploring tomorrow and try coming right off a 12v battery and seeing what the behavior is.

If the latter, does a low current rating cause symptoms like I'm experiencing?