tomtom RIDER 550- Fastest route and Ask me first consent — TomTom Community

tomtom RIDER 550- Fastest route and Ask me first consent

denbo1400denbo1400 Posts: 15 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited June 11 in RIDER
can any advise please ... if you have route setting to 'ask me first; why does mine just take the faster route it ..never ask's when planning a route ?? have i set it wrong some how... I have selected ask me first ..but No it dont ??? Thanks

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,023
    Superusers
    edited August 30
    Hi
    @denbo1400

Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Route planning

The 1st Section of the Route planning Menu Screen applies when you have already planned a route, the route has been calculated and you are DRIVING the Route

On the Live Tomtom Devices 'When a faster route become available' the device will....
    Option... (1) = 'Don't ask me' --> Always take the Fastest route
    Option... (2) = 'Always ask me' --> Before taking the Fastest route
    Option... (3) = 'Don't Ask me at all' -->Stick to the planned Route

Route planning screen... Section (1)
    kxgfxxwo4v6x.jpg
    The 2nd Section of the Route planning Menu is the default Route planning type for ALL Route planning
    Option... (1) = Fastest route
    Option... (2) = Shortest route
    Option... (3) = Most eco-friendly route
    Etc... Etc...

Route planning screen... Section (2)
    nu9smvp50o9f.jpgRoute planning screen... Section (3)3zs4gzvd3d7h.jpg
    Scroll screen for more Menu options....
    l0n5iotpr41y.jpgThe earlier Devices required me to enter my Route type every time, but at least 95% of my journeys I would choose the Fastest Route + Motorways

The earlier NAV2/3 devices are Menu focused
    Asking all of the questions and button pushing at the start... Then device planned the route

The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are Map Centric (Tomtom Speak)
    The Route planning has the highest priority (95% of the time I want the Fastest Route... Job Done)
    On the odd occasions I want something different, say I want to 'Avoid Motorways'...
    After Planning and Calculating the route
    I Tap the 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Avoid Road Types... Choose Route Type required 'Like' (Avoid Motorways) the device recalculates the route avoiding Motorways
    zn181cgokd5x.jpg
    Scroll screen for more Menu options....
    l0n5iotpr41y.jpg

Note... In Image 3 above the Menus have changed ....
    After the last NavKit update the Avoid Motorways option was moved to a new menu....

Now you... Plan & Calculate your Route -->
    Tap 4Dot (....) Menu --> 'Current Route' --> 'Avoid Road Types' --> Select... 'Avoid Motorways'
    I think the idea is now they have added Tunnels & Country Borders to the list, is to have all the 'Avoids' listed in one Menu....

To Always 'Avoid' Motorways etc....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Route Planning
    Scroll all the way down to sub menu 'Route planning'
    Turn off 'Motorways'

To Avoid' Motorways etc... On a Route by Route basis....
    Plan & Calculate your Route....
    Tap 4Dot (....) Menu --> 'Current Route' --> 'Avoid Road Types' --> Select... 'Avoid Motorways'

To Change Route type....
    Tap the 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Change route Type....
    Select the required route type....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 100 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Guys,
    The usual extended answer from YamFazMan but in my experience and to paraphrase the "Ask me so I can choose" option is all but useless. I do not recall EVER being asked what type of route I want. Well, not on a Rider550.

My default is (currently) SHORTEST ROUTE just to see what happens... well nothing. The SHORTEST is NEVER the FASTEST but still no prompt. Surely, if the default is set to "FASTEST ROUTE" there isn't another route that would make this option qualify so why have it in this form. Its a waste to space on the unit and clutters the manual with useless info. Don't get me started on the manual.

Why would I only be asked if there is actually a faster route?
    Why have I got to dive into SETTINGS every time I want to change the type of route from my last trip? Thought this was the point of having this option. For the majority of Rider users we are using it for leisure riding so fastest or shortest need easy access. Have never used THRILL. Waste of space.
    Why can't I have the old functionality of my old SatNavs?

These SatNavs are being sold on the reputation built on the older devices yet the lemons change the user interface away from a tried and trusted UI making every new device different from the older units and tough to use.

No one has convinced me that these units are actually tested by real people. The journos' reviews never identify the many problems listed in these forums happy only that they go where they wanted to get.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,023
    Superusers
    edited November 1
    Hi
    @TigerRider
    TigerRider wrote: »
    Guys,
    The usual extended answer from YamFazMan but in my experience and to paraphrase the "Ask me, so I can choose" option is all but useless. I do not recall EVER being asked what type of route I want. Well, not on a Rider550.
    I do not know whose post you were reading ??? But it wasn't mine...
    I have never stated that a NAV4 or NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device like your Rider 550 asks you which route type to use when planning your route....

Quotes from my extended answer
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are....
    Map Centric (Tomtom Speak)
    The Route planning has the highest priority (95% of the time I want the Fastest Route... Job Done)
    On the odd occasions I want something different, say I want to 'Avoid Motorways'...
    I Tap the 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Avoid Road Types... Choose Route Type required 'Like' (Avoid Motorways) the device recalculates the route avoiding Motorways
    The NAV2 & NAV3 Devices always ask you which route type to use when planning your route....
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    The earlier Devices required me to enter my Route type every time, but at least 95% of my journeys I would choose the Fastest Route + Motorways
    The earlier NAV2/3 devices are Menu focused
    Asking all the questions and button pushing at the start... Then device planned the route
    ATB YFM