TomTom no longer recognizes the memory card. — TomTom Community

TomTom no longer recognizes the memory card.

My Tomtom asks for a card while it was installed on the memory card. This has happened before, but after removing the memory card and then re-mounting it, navigation started again. Now the TomTom won't boot anymore, I even formatted the memory card. The card is visible in my PC and I can copy to it and open files, but in MyDrive the card is no longer visible, but the internal memory of the Tomtom (approx 6100 MB) is. The card has functioned for several years.Memory card: Micro SDHC class 10 32GB. What could have happened?

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,595
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @JoohnyA

@VikramK may be able to add a small map to your account so you can load that on the internal memory. Then you can reformat the memory card in the unit and then reinstall your main map.

Once sorted if you have a small map don’t remove it from the unit. It’s presence means that if you lose the main map again for any reason the little map will enable the unit to work normally and you can reinstall the main map.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,581 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @JoohnyA
    Your TomTom comes with world maps, try installing a smaller map like Venezuela on to the internal memory of the device :)

Thanks, Vikram

Answers

Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @JoohnyA

@VikramK may be able to add a small map to your account so you can load that on the internal memory. Then you can reformat the memory card in the unit and then reinstall your main map.

Once sorted if you have a small map don’t remove it from the unit. It’s presence means that if you lose the main map again for any reason the little map will enable the unit to work normally and you can reinstall the main map.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,581 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @JoohnyA
    Your TomTom comes with world maps, try installing a smaller map like Venezuela on to the internal memory of the device :)

Thanks, Vikram
  • agc65agc65 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi - did you manage to sort this out? I had a 64GB card I've happily used for years. Suddenly started not being recognised (sometime it would after several restarts). Tried re-formatting the 64GB to no avail, so purchased a 32GB as advised, but still no joy. The device recognises the card, as it asks if I want to use it for maps or routes, and then goes ahead and formats it for Maps. but when I try to install maps to it, it does not show up in the MyDrive Connect App. For the timebeing I have installed a cut-down Europe map on the device, but when travelling would need to use the memory card. Any ideas welcomed ... could it be the contacts inside the device have become coroded?
    Superuser
    Hi @agc65

Tomtom advise that the maximum size memory card for their devices is 32gb so surprised you got the 64gb card to work.

What make card have you got. Some of the more obscure makes have been known to have issues with Tomtom units. Sandisk, Samsung and other major makes are recommended and should be obtained from a reliable source to avoid fakes.

Doug
  • agc65agc65 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes - the 64GB card has worked fine for years. The fact the new memory card is not recognised seems to be an issue with the latest MAC version - see my post here:
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1126877/sd-card-not-recognised-in-mydrive-connect#latest
  • JoohnyAJoohnyA Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @JoohnyA

Doug

Thanks dude. The solution was perfect.
  • JoohnyAJoohnyA Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @JoohnyA

Thanks, Vikram

Thanks for helping out.