TomTom GO 5200 does not connet to internet — TomTom Community

TomTom GO 5200 does not connet to internet

Hello,
My TomTom GO 5200 refuses to connect to the internet, so I have no traffic announcements.
It used to work with a dropout now and then but the connection is lost more and more often and now Iit never connects. have to connect through my smartphone to get the traffic announcements

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,254
    Superuser
    Hi @Finn_Jorgensen

First check in Menu/Settings/System/Your information and Privacy that the first option is selected as otherwise Traffic will not work. You will need to have scrolled down to see the Your Information and Privacy

Your GO5200 will show the GPRS is disconnected if the unit is connected to your Wifi.

Try the following.

A Soft Reset. Ie turn the unit on and when ready to use Press and Hold the On/Off button for 20 seconds plus until you hear the drumroll sound then let the button go.

If that does not sort it then try the following Factory Reset

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device.

Before doing the latter reset log into your account on the Tomtom MyDrive Webpage and check that your MyPlaces and any POI and Route files you have on you device are stored there. If they are then they will be restored to the unit after the factory reset.

Doug
  • Finn_JorgensenFinn_Jorgensen Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Hi Doug,
    I tried the factory reset, but the TomTom still is unable to connect to the internet by its internal GPRS connection. It only works through my smartphone.
    Finn
    Hi again,
    I think I managed to solve the problem myself.
    In another thread, "No Tomtom Traffic / GPRS on Tomtom 5200 known issue?!", durtelang suggests cleaning the contacts on the built-in SIM-card. I followed his advice, and now the GPRS connection shows up and things seem to work fine.
    Maybe next time, you should suggest this instead of the factory reset that has no effect.
    Finn
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,667
    Superusers
    edited August 2020
    Hi
    @Finn_Jorgensen
    Welcome to the site....
    Thanks for your post... But why the unnecessary comment to Doug ???
    We are all users on this Forum posting about our own experiences and trying to help each other....
    If you watch the official Tomtom Video... After various tips... 2 minutes 40 seconds into the video... Tomtom recommends a Factory reset....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034281/what-can-i-do-if-my-traffic-services-are-not-working/p1?new=1

The SIM cards for the Live NAV3, NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices are located under concealed flaps and/or stickers in various location on the devices....
    On the GO 5200/6200... The SIM Card is situated under the sticker bearing the serial number....
    acrlkaji0g4o.jpg
    I think the SIM contacts oxidize over time and removing and replacing the SIM a few times remakes the connection....
    Tips for the NAV4 GO 5xxx/6xxx & 51xx/61xx Live devices see... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1693015/#Comment_1693015

Warning... The above will void your Tomtom guarantee....
    All the usual disclaimers apply, all the above is at your own discretion

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • MyNameAllreadyExistsMyNameAllreadyExists Posts: 99 [Revered Navigator]
    Maybe next time you could say thanks for trying.
    Hi,
    Sorry that my comment to Doug sounded unfriendly. It was not my intention.
    Since the problem with the SIM-card seems to be well known in this community, I was surprised that Doug didn't mention it right away.
    The factory reset made me spend over an hour tinkering with MyDrive, a lousy internet connection and other technical hurdles, so I was disappointed that the solution was so easy.
    Again, sorry about the wording and thanks to Doug for trying.
    Finn