TomTom Start will not start up after update! — TomTom Community

TomTom Start will not start up after update!

So I updated this old Start, (I think it's a 25 IIRC, says 1EX00 on the back), and now it just hangs on the start up screen.

There's no physical reset button to press, and pressing and holding the power button does nothing.

Plugging it in the PC doesn't help as it won't come up as a removable drive.

Any ideas or is it bin fodder now?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,429
    Superusers
    Hi
    @darthtrader
    Does the Serial Number Start XM... (Don't post the full Serial Number on the Forum)

XM → TomTom Start ² / Start Classic → 4EX0.001.11 → 2GB

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • darthtraderdarthtrader Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @darthtrader
    Does the Serial Number Start XM... (Don't post the full Serial Number on the Forum)

XM → TomTom Start ² / Start Classic → 4EX0.001.11 → 2GB

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Hi YamFazMan, no the serial number starts XC.

Thanks.
    Superusers
    edited August 2020
    Hi
    @darthtrader
    XC → TomTom Start → 4EX0.001.01⇾ 1GB
    The Start (XA/XB/XC/XD) are all End of Life....
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/#car
    You won't be able to update Maps or services....
    I use this modified version of Tomtom for the very limited updates that Tomtom still allow for my End of Life.... NAV2 Start device...
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1702861/#Comment_1702861

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • darthtraderdarthtrader Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for that but it does sound like a right faff =)
    I have a TomTom Via that I've been having satellite fix issues with since it's last update, but I think, (touches wood), that it might be working OK now, or at least it was on a quick test drive just now, so fingers crossed if the Via's back up and running the Start can go back in it's box.
    Thanks for the replies and stay safe buddy.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @darthtrader
    Fully charge the Battery (At least 2 Hours)
    A low battery can cause GPS Satellite fix problems
    A Drum-roll Soft Start can help.... Hold the ON/OFF Power button in until you hear a Drum-roll sound... Then release the button.... This will reinitialize the devices Operating System, like restarting your PC

First Plan a route on the device... Now place the device outside with a clear view to the sky
    (I used a 5200 mAh battery power-pack... while waiting for a Satellite lock)
    It can take anything up to 30 Minutes to get the first Satellite Lock
    After the Initial '1st Lock' the device should lock quickly onto the Satellites

If you are still struggling to get a 1st GPS Fix
    Try....
    Follow the instructions above then... Place the device on the centre of the Cars roof (I used one of those 'Sticky' rubber mats to stop it sliding off the roof)
    The device will obtain it's first GPS Satellite lock more quickly... The metal roof of the Car acts as a ground-plane for the SatNav GPS Antenna and increases the signal strength

DON'T FORGET... If you're using the cars roof
    Keep an eye on the device, you wouldn't want a family member driving off not knowing its on the roof or a Thief walking off with your SatNav

Stay Safe... ATB YFM