TomTom Rider 400, is there a 5 volt charging mount available? — TomTom Community

TomTom Rider 400, is there a 5 volt charging mount available?

Dan_WebbDan_Webb Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
I have a new bike and it appears the only available 'ignition on' connections available are 5v supplies (I guess this is the modern world with modern LED lighting BUS systems etc nowadays??). ..I could connect it directly across the 12v battery, but then the unit would be permanently on and I only want it on when the ignition is on (I think the standard mount draws a little current even if the TomTom isn't installed - so worried about draining the battery unnecessarily).

Can anyone help?

Best Answer

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,468
    Superusers
    edited August 2020 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Dan_Webb
    You will need to find a 12 volt supply....
    Is there an accessory connection point somewhere on the wiring harness

Copy & Paste from one of my earlier posts... The user wanted to use the Rider xx0 on an old Brit bike with 6volt electrics....

My Brother-in-law is an Amateur Radio User....
    We used his Bench DC Power Supply (Variable voltage) to test my Rider 550 Mount

The Rider 550 Fully Charged 100%
    Connected the Rider Mount to the Variable Power Supply Set to....
    12.5 Volts... Readings across the Pins on the Mount = 5.55 Volts
    With the Rider in Sleep Mode... I Clicked it onto the Mount
    The Rider Started up OK

Also Tested the Mount at...12v,11v,10v,9v,8v,7v....
    Readings each time across the Pins on the Mount = 5.55 Volts
    With the Rider in Sleep Mode... I Clicked it onto the Mount at...12v,11v,10v,9v,8v,7v the Rider Started up OK each time

At 6.0 Volts... Readings across the Pins on the Mount... Was more or less Zero (slightly varying but hovering around Zero)
    With the Rider in Sleep Mode... I Clicked it onto the Mount the Rider Would Not Start-Up

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,468
    Superusers
    edited August 2020 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Dan_Webb
    You will need to find a 12 volt supply....
    Is there an accessory connection point somewhere on the wiring harness

Copy & Paste from one of my earlier posts... The user wanted to use the Rider xx0 on an old Brit bike with 6volt electrics....

My Brother-in-law is an Amateur Radio User....
    We used his Bench DC Power Supply (Variable voltage) to test my Rider 550 Mount

The Rider 550 Fully Charged 100%
    Connected the Rider Mount to the Variable Power Supply Set to....
    12.5 Volts... Readings across the Pins on the Mount = 5.55 Volts
    With the Rider in Sleep Mode... I Clicked it onto the Mount
    The Rider Started up OK

Also Tested the Mount at...12v,11v,10v,9v,8v,7v....
    Readings each time across the Pins on the Mount = 5.55 Volts
    With the Rider in Sleep Mode... I Clicked it onto the Mount at...12v,11v,10v,9v,8v,7v the Rider Started up OK each time

At 6.0 Volts... Readings across the Pins on the Mount... Was more or less Zero (slightly varying but hovering around Zero)
    With the Rider in Sleep Mode... I Clicked it onto the Mount the Rider Would Not Start-Up

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Dan_WebbDan_Webb Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Thanks YamFazMan. Don't think there is an accessory connection, but thanks for your help.