New TomTom Go Android App Really Needs Improvements — TomTom Community

New TomTom Go Android App Really Needs Improvements

312hooligan312hooligan Posts: 84 [Legendary Explorer]
Today, I blindly updated the TomTom Go app without checking out this Discussion forum or even looking at screenshots. Boy, was it a foolish mistake on my part.

As an avid motorcyclist, I use both my TomTom Rider 550 and my cellular phone on my motorcycle. The overarching reason why I choose TomTom over Garmin Zumo, BMW Navigator (by Garmin) and Google Maps is the ease of getting information from a quick glance without having to strain my eyes. TomTom nailed it with the color scheme, contrast, and road name flags without requiring the driver to stare unnecessarily longer at the screen. But this new version 2.2.3? It's like a step backwards. Below is a list of usability deficiencies I observed with this new version, of which I sincerely hope TomTom developers will consider reintroducing/restoring prior functionalities.
  1. Major road color/contrast: This was a key selling point. When I need a view of the overall city/town, TomTom marks major roadways (other than highways/expressways) with two shades of dark brown color, as well as increasing their thickness. This was consistent between TomTom SatNav devices and the previous app. Now? Major streets are just another narrow skinny line that doesn't differentiate from other streets. Just like Google Maps and Garmin, which I consider as inferior. [See first 3 attached pictures for comparison.]
  2. Map zoom: Prior version, the zoom buttons were readily available. Now, I have to tap the screen to then reveal zoom buttons. Seriously, who while driving or riding should waste more time and effort just to zoom in/out? For our safety, less distractions and quicker access are better. Not to mention when wearing motorcycle gloves, extra screen taps are harder (either not registered, or registered as double tap). Even in a car, making sure my thumb is over the right button can be difficult.
  3. Quick Access: On TomTom SatNav devices, there is a button on the top left corner that will bring up common toggles (volume slider, audio on/off, navigation on/off, night mode on/off, and messaging on/off (not available on 4xx)). On the previous Android Go app, this list of toggles were intuitively integrated into the bottom of the menu after clicking on the menu button. [See 4th attached picture.] Where is the quick toggle functionality now? The audio button on the map only covers 1 of the quick toggles, but not the app volume or night mode off.
  4. App Audio Level: In the previous app, I can adjust the volume of the app independently of the overall volume of the media audio from the cellular phone.

I'm sure as I start using the new app more on the road, I will find more gripes as I try to use previously available functionalities no longer available. I'll be sure to report them. But if the above 4 items are not addressed soon in the next minor release update of the software, then I will have no choice but to stop paying for and using the TomTom Go app, as there is now no key differentiators putting TomTom software as more usable than Google Maps or Garmin SatNav devices. Think about this. I actually have the BMW Navigator, and I still chose TomTom because I value the above features over the available telemetry data and multicontroller of my BMW. Now, I might as well go free with Google Maps, and if this current software is the same direction my TomTom Rider 550 will eventually go to, then I may as well revert to my Navigator.

ufr195yghjqp.jpg
7e2lx6bdq1fs.jpg
7sw43qlxzvp9.png
ki2vcuy85g0j.png

[If you're wondering why I use both my SatNav and my cellular phone app on my motorcycle: I do a lot of long distance back country riding, and as such I like to have one in birds eye view to see upcoming curves, and the other in north up view zoomed out so I have a sense of orientation of where I am in my journey.]

Last two screenshots courtesy of Tech is Tech on YouTube since I don't have the older app to take screenshots from anymore.

Comments

• Frantz1966Frantz1966 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited August 2020
    Hello everyone, I have been using TomTom since version 3 on PDAs before the arrival of smartphones. I installed the latest version with the new die-cut cards, which comes in handy. A few small remarks about contacts. There is no search engine when navigating to a contact. You have to use the Scroll, which is not practical. In addition, if you have a contact with several addresses, the application does not show you the list of addresses to make your choice, but a map where the addresses of your contact are placed among all your favorites. There again an ergonomics problem. Unaddressed contacts should also be hidden. Apart from that, and for the moment, I find that there is a lot of progress in terms of design. I use TomTom mainly in landscape mode on my motorcycle. The displays of the directions to take are too large (in height) and hide a large part of the navigation. This phenomenon is accentuated by the use of the extra large sidebar. Suddenly it is difficult to anticipate the future directions to take. Last thing it lacks the ability to display the current time. This existed in the previous version and also the quick volume control button.
    Looking forward to a return.
    I wish you a good end of the day.

Mod edit: Machine translated (French)
  • Frantz1966Frantz1966 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Ok
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,142 Moderator
    Hi there @312hooligan

Sorry about the delay in response & Thank you for the detailed feedback about our new app with screenshots! I'll forward these to my team. You can't change the color of the app anymore (app theming). This is due to the limitations of our new maps, but we're working on recovering this functionality as soon as possible. When app theming is enabled in the future, this will improve the colors/contrast of the maps.

When you tap the screen and the zoom buttons will appear and disappear again after a few seconds, just to keep the map screen clear. The Volume bar is removed from the Main Menu in the GO Navigation app since it was something that got into our app from PND devices. On mobile phones, you have easy access to a volume slider that serves the same purpose. We are very sorry that the manual day/night button has been removed, but this was a function not used by the vast majority of our users and now works automatically in the app.

Thank you, lampard
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,142 Moderator
    Hi @Frantz1966

We are aware of this limitation about contact search and we are currently working on this improvement.

Regards, lampard
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 264 [Exalted Navigator]
    "On mobile phones, you have easy access to a volume slider that serves the same purpose." I am sorry but just what does mean. My phone does not have such a feature. It has tiny buttons that are further obstructed by the bumper case. It is irresponsible and dangerous to fiddle with them while driving.

All my other "media" apps have integrated volume controls that fat fingers can manipulate.
  • dezmodezmo Posts: 31 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi there @312hooligan

This is due to the limitations of our new maps..

Thank you, lampard

I have seen this fact many times here. But I can not realized any improvement myself in the new app. The only thing can be advantage if we can download separate pars as we wish. But the old map full update (~8GB) has been taken about 10-15 minutes. The new map one partial update (~1.2GB) has taken 10-15 min downloading then an other 15-20 min applying.
    So what is the advantages?
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi there @312hooligan

The Volume bar is removed from the Main Menu in the GO Navigation app since it was something that got into our app from PND devices. On mobile phones, you have easy access to a volume slider that serves the same purpose. We are very sorry that the manual day/night button has been removed, but this was a function not used by the vast majority of our users and now works automatically in the app.

Thank you, lampard

I have to disagree about this. I have been used both!
  • MarxxMarxx Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    edited August 2020

I have to disagree about this. I have been used both!

I totally agree. You can use the "in-App-volumes" as a kind of mixer to adjust the volume level of different apps to each other. The side-button of the phone is just used as a "Main Volume"
  • EX460EX460 Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    A good App really ruined by delivering a new garbage version. No improvements, just useless features an failures!

Updating was the biggest mistake I have made.
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 295 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    The product doesn't even work with voice control, so you can't even change volume with that.

You can't also use the side volume buttons as these are usually under cases and require a harder push to get them to work or they are in an awkward position due to the phone holder being used.

If linked to the car system, you can change volume using the car volume buttons, but you change it for everything and not just TomTom
  • SinglePointSafetySinglePointSafety Posts: 48 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Totally agree - I use a Qi charger for my phone, and even though I can access the phone's volume controls, it's not nearly as easy as the old software-controlled volume slider method. This is a totally pointless retrograde step
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 264 [Exalted Navigator]
    Didn't you read. TT says they removed the convenient slider as it was NOT necessary as our phones already have physical volume controls. I guess many of us are physically impaired as we find it difficult to push tiny buttons, covered by protective cases, fitted in car holders, etc.

After ten months, I would not bet on them fixing it or caring about our safety.

Possible solutions:

Alexa or OK, Google?

There are apps that will pre-set an apps volume.

Give up and switch to another device or app.
    Brilliant schneidernet, I love your sense of humour! :) (No, I'm not being ironic).

Good point about the voice control - I'll have a go with that later.
    schneidernet, excellent suggestion about 'OK Google' - I've found Google Assistant temperamental at times (like a recalcitrant teenager - you tell it one thing, it deliberately misinterprets and does something completely different) but tried this today to alter the phone volume, and it was having a good day and decided to listen and obey.
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 295 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    the voice command needs to be different as we have multiple android devices and use one for the satnav and media playback only
  • raesewellraesewell Posts: 150 [Revered Navigator]
    Why do Tomtom release new products before they are fully tested, they do this time and time again. Stop it Tomtom and test your products before release and stop using your paying cutomers as testers.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category1

JoshuaD
JoshuaD