Live-Traffic information not useful on long trips — TomTom Community

Live-Traffic information not useful on long trips

MarxxMarxx Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
The App only downloads the live-traffic info for a radius about 1,5h from my starting point. When I am on a long trip, say 8h, it would be helpful, to download all the information along the route. It happend to me twice, that tomtom was sending me the "fastest" way , although I knew from the radio, that a certain part of the Autobahn was blocked for the rest of the day because of contruction works or an severe accident. The tomtom routing service on the website knew this as well. So the information was available to tomtom, but not to the App. This is annoying, because a good alternative route for a blocked Autobahn starts more than 1,5h in advance. Especially in germany when you are travelling diagonaly though the country (i.e. not North-south but southwest to north-east etc.) or your startpoint/destination lies between two Autobahn-crossings.
Would be great to see an improvement there.

Another point: the display of alternative routes was better before. Please remove the "swipe between routes" feature and use different colours for the different alternatives. Thank you.

Feature request: Avoid Streets that are not allowed for EURO5 or less

Answers

• xwintechxwintech Posts: 290 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Let's see what @lampard could say
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,689
    Community Manager
    We limit the radius of Traffic in the interest of saving data traffic. However, if you go to the Main Menu > TomTom Services you can enable Onine Routing. That will consider all Traffic on your route.

Having this said, we also use statistic data and will check how likely it is for a traffic jam to still be there by the time you reach that location. Therefore you may end up with the same route.
  • MarxxMarxx Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    edited August 20
    Hi Jürgen,

thanks for your quick answer. Here are my remarks:
    Jürgen wrote: »
    We limit the radius of Traffic in the interest of saving data traffic.
    This is well understood. But as the APP knows the planned destination it is usefull to have all traffic along the route. This cannot be so much more. And: I do not need all the traffic info, that lies 1,5h southbound, when I am travelling north.
    However, if you go to the Main Menu > TomTom Services you can enable Onine Routing. That will consider all Traffic on your route.
    That is not true. Just planned a route from Frankfurt to Wismar on your website and in the app. The App says (with online routing activated) the fastest route is via Hamburg (5:36h with 2min delay). The website tells me that the route via Hamburg will take 6:19 with 37min delay.
    According to the website the fastest route is via Uelzen-->Ludwigslust in 6:19h with 20 min delay.
    This is exactly the behaviour I oberserved during the summer holidays. And this is just the daily traffic. It still does not take into account that there are sometimes blocked routes due to severe accidents for the rest of the day.

fun-fact: the alternative route in the app via Dortmund-Münster-Osnabrück is calculated with 6:16 (no delay), the website calculates it with 6:24 and 27min delay. The fastest route from the website is not shown in the app as an alternative route.

Having this said, we also use statistic data and will check how likely it is for a traffic jam to still be there by the time you reach that location. Therefore you may end up with the same route.

These statistics (or training data for your KI) do not take into account, that there are "heavy traffic days" on school holidays (apparently) and ad-hoc blockkings by the police/Rescue for the rest of the day.
    Does your system compare "Fridays during school holidays" with all other 40 fridays in the year? Or only with the 12 "heavy traffic fridays" during school holidays?

Thanks for your help and best regards, Marxx
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,724
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Marxx
    Yes it's the same on Tomtom PND's they also have a Traffic Horizon dynamically centred (Live) from your present location...
    The Traffic Horizon (Bubble) travels along with you as you travel on your journey

uj0nmdnsa52l.jpg
    As an example... I planned a route from Worcester UK to the Traffic Horizon (Manchester UK) the distance is 101 Miles journey time 2Hours 17 Mins
    The Traffic Horizon (Bubble) travels along the route with you on your journey constantly assessing the traffic situation ahead as a moving target always for the NEXT 100 Miles of your journey
    The Traffic info on the Live PND devices is updated every 2 Minutes....

Why worry

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • SinglePointSafetySinglePointSafety Posts: 42 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I would just like traffic data of any type!....on my setup (Pixel 3XL, Android 10, TT GO v 2.2.3) traffic data no longer appears - all I get is the car with the X next to it. This is despite deleting and reinstalling the app
  • MarxxMarxx Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    edited August 20
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Marxx
    The Traffic Horizon (Bubble) travels along the route with you on your journey constantly assessing the traffic situation ahead as a moving target always for the NEXT 100 Miles of your journey
    The Traffic info on the Live PND devices is updated every 2 Minutes....

Why worry

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Hi YFM,

I know how the traffic Horizon works, I am using tomtom live-traffic since 2011 and I have to say: It is perfect for my daily drive to work - but it is useless for long trips in central Europe, because it will leed you into an already known traffic jam and the german Autobahn network (or french!) is not as tightly as you might think.

Another example: A few years ago I travelled to Innsbruck/Austria. I have three alternatives to cross the northern Alps. From the radio and internet I knew, that one of the tunnels would be blocked on the weekend I was travelling. Guess what? Tomtom directly routed me towards this tunnel. And when you are in the northern Alps you will have no shortcuts - so you are pretty messed up surrounded by high mountains.
    When you have the three routes, you have to take a decision after one hour into your drive. That is well ahead of the 100miles to the blocked tunnel.
    So the information (that is already known in the tomtom system) comes far to late. The alternative route that is being calculated 100 miles before the tunnel will take you hours of additional time.

So to make this clear: This is not a complaint. This is a feature request.

atb to you all, Marxx