My GO720 has a built in 2 gb mem and a 32 gb plug in mem so why can the bigger maps not fit — TomTom Community

My GO720 has a built in 2 gb mem and a 32 gb plug in mem so why can the bigger maps not fit

pav33pav33 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
As my go 720 has built in 2 gb and 32 gb plug the 32 gb at present hold map and music I listen to the music while using the go 720 to navigate, so why does the newer map not fit on the 32 gb plug in card is the new map that large.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,693
    Superusers
    Hi
    @pav33
    Welcome to the site....
    Tomtom FAQ... Installing a map on empty memory card (TomTom HOME)
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013961399-Installing-a-map-on-empty-memory-card-TomTom-HOME-

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • pav33pav33 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi the question is really how come tomtom say the newer maps will not fit on my go720 with a 32 gb memory card for the map to go on to and I know the map works from the memory card as at the moment the map is on the 32gb card and it does work, it all looks like a con by tomtom which has backfired as I have already converted my mazda 6 with built in tomtom to another make of satnav
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,341
    Superuser
    Hi @pav33

It depends on which map and how long it is since you updated it. The current full Europe map is nearly 10gb so how much space have you available on your memory card with the current map and all your music currently on it.

Doug
    Hi DougLap. I can take the music off from the card and would then have at least 22.6 GB being the size of the music folder. But TOMTOM are saying I can not have a map update, or renew the update part of my account, as it is a GO720, without asking about the size of the memory card, I know he original memory card was only 2 or 4 GB but I replaced that many years ago. regards Alan
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,341
    Superuser
    Hi @pav33

Tomtom have declared some models as obsolete. These are generally units with 2gb or less of internal memory and includes GO720 units. When a unit is declared obsolete then any existing Subscriptions will not be renewable and no new maps can be purchased.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited August 13
    Hi
    @pav33
    Unless the 1st 2 characters of the serial number of your device differs from the ones shown below, then your device is EoL (End of Life and is no longer supported for updates)

sjofs8vpw9qb.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    why is the GO 720 EOL is it because TOM TOM want to sell a replacement???
    Superusers
    edited August 15
    Hi
    @pav33
    pav33 wrote: »
    why is the GO 720 EOL is it because TOM TOM want to sell a replacement???
    Not according to this FAQ....
    See FAQ... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/#car

Everything has life and an end of life...
    I assume your GO 720 is still working ??? But with outdated Maps ???
    My Yamaha FZS600s Fazer ceased production... Year 2000 ish... The model failed the latest EU Emissions regulations (It's still working fine, I love riding it)
    My 405 line TV stopped working when superseded by 625 line TV my 625 line TV stopped working when superseded by Digital TV (But there were Workarounds to keep them running)
    FM Radio superseded by DAB (The DAB Transmitter shut-down roll-out is shelved for the moment)
    My various Desktop PC's were superseded by the many incarnations of Microsoft Windows... Many of my Win7 peripherals were end of life after Windows 10
    I will have to replace my iPhone if I want to install the latest iOS
    2G > 3G > 4G > 5G Various 'x'G Mobile Phone services are being progressive phased out
    My iPad2 is almost unusable
    My Tomtom NAV2 Start device is end of life, the Map is outdated but it's still working....

Ah well... Que Sera Sera ;)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    I like many more who do not know why TOM TOM no longer supply a map to fit on a 32 GB memory card in the GO720. Other make devices even older still receive updated maps. it was just a mistake I made in buying a TOM TOM which I will not make again
    Regards
    Alan