RIder 550 / iPhone bluetooth connectivity - totally sucks?? (or is it me??) — TomTom Community

RIder 550 / iPhone bluetooth connectivity - totally sucks?? (or is it me??)

macleodalmacleodal Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
Help! I just don't understand how TomTom can be so completely s**t with Bluetooth so deep into the twenty-first century... but they are, I am 99.99% sure.

I am not trying to do anything difficult. I have an iPhone 11 Pro (not the plus, the standard size one but current version) with current software. My TomTom Rider 550 is also up to date with software.

When I try to go through the connection including the MyDrive app, one of several things happen NONE of which is as it should be:
- The pairing fails generally at some point
- It connects the first bluetooth pairing but fails the second bluetooth pairing (and then shows unconnected in MyDrive)
- It claims to have connected both bluetooth pairings (and on the 550 it actually shows as paired).. on iPhone in the bluetooth settings both pairings are shown as connected.. but MyDrive still shows disconnected
- The best I've ever had was a brief (less than 20seconds) period when the connection to the cloud / traffic / etc seemed to be working before it dropped.

I've done this over and over. Checked software levels. Deleted pairings and restarted. Everything. I cannot bear to talk to TomTom support (over email), they are useless and totally lacking in any knowledge -- all I ever get is multiple requests to reset my entire life, factory reset iphone, factory reset the 550, factory reset myself, then reconnect and hey presto it will all work but hey presto it doesn't.

The closest I've come to anything at all being usable is to completely ignore ALL instructions from TomTom, delete MyDrive, and just use wireless hotspot on my phone connected as WiFi -- you don't get any of the other "valuable features" e.g. messaging / alerts appearing, you just get basic connectivity, but at least you get the traffic. Even that fails sometimes too however... the other day it worked for half an hour then the wifi link dropped out but, to be fair, that could have been my phone or Vodafone.

Has anyone anywhere in the world ever got this to work? Any tricks other than factory reset I may not have tried.

And can anyone shed any light on the question as to why TomTom make this so ridiculously crap when every other device manufacturer cracked bluetooth years ago? I prefer the nav experience of TomTom over Garmin but I'm so fed up with this nonsense I am about to put my 550 in the bin and buy a new Garmin I think... unless I can get it sorted...

Thanks,

Alastair

Comments

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 750
    Superuser
    Bluetooth is problematic since Rider 400 era (count the years...). I fed up too with my 400, so I just use it for traffic & voice instructions.

The iPhone 6 is connected directly to the headset.
  • Motormuis_JanusMotormuis_Janus Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Exactly the same, it sucks. Support answer only general steps to solve. Nobody looks at the problems seriously. I am thinking of throwing this device through the window of the TT building.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,584
    Superuser
    Hi @Motormuis_Janus

Have a look at the following and all the other posts on the same topic.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1700445/#Comment_1700445

Doug
  • HuggytjeHuggytje Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Can in ear buds such as Shure 251SE be paired with Rider 550, Please advise asap
    Thanks
  • HuggytjeHuggytje Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Sorry, it's about Shure SE 215 in ear buds
  • MitoMito Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    Exact same problem here since upgrade iPhone to latest version 13, more than 6 months with no solution from TomTom.

In some EU countries (i.e. Spain) consumer laws protect us of purchasing a failing device or a device that does not meet specifications, as this is the case with Rider.

I encourage you all to ask for a refund of your Rider device as an alternative to this inoperative TomTom support response.

Also, if you are compromised with consumer rights, please recover as many proofs as possible: invoicing, support answers, videos,... to issue a consumer demand against TomTom through any official consumer office on your country and look for the support of local consumer associations (i.e. Organización de Consumidores y Usuarios in Spain).
  • SanttuSanttu Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    rider 550 is expensive, and Bluetooth is breaking up all the time :'(
  • MarioPedrazaMarioPedraza Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Has anyone tried the bluetooth connection with the iOs 14 beta?
  • RibcrackerRibcracker Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    edited July 15
    I am also having trouble connecting my Rider 500 to my iPhone 6 (IOS13) and Cardo Q3 headset.
    My Cardo Q3 headset will connect and I get nav instructions, but the Rider 500 won't connect to the iphone reliably.
    And if playing music on my iphone, I lose nav directions from the Rider uinit.
    I thought the point of Bluetooth was that it just connected without you having to mess about with it manually every time i get on the bike.
    How can a brand new £400 device fail to connect to two devices at once as described in the sales bumph? I bought the Rider on the strength of voice calling and receiving, text messages read to me, etc, but sadly none of it works. Traffic information and the live services also are none existent.

Q - Are TomTomgetting their heads together with Apple and sort these issues out?
    Being that I've just bought an expensive SatNav based on the fact it has all this wonderful connectivity, which it appears it now doesn't (supposedly due to Apples IOS 13 update).
    And the fact that now my new Rider 500 only does what my old Rider V5 2013 does, and no more (which I've just sold).
    So basically I've spent all this money and am no better off.
    Can I get a refund as it doesn't do what it says on the tin?
  • 4Time4Time Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hi @Ribcracker, I'm following this issue with great interest. I currently use a Rider (2013), one of my friends I go touring with used to have the same and we found the ability to Bluetooth routes to each other really useful. He then went on to upgrade to a Rider 400 series and then on to a Rider 550. He absolutely swears by it and is trying to persuade me to get one! Reading about all the Bluetooth issues and knowing that he uses an iPhone, I contacted him to see what issues he is having. The answer is none!

I explored a bit further and asked how he has his Bluetooth connection set up - I think this explains why he is facing no issues - by chance it is line with a work-around measure described on this forum.

He uses a Senna head set - and uses the Senna App on his iphone for settings etc.
    1. Because of this he connects his Senna unit directly to his iPhone. This allows him to use the Senna app and also to receive and make phone calls

2. He connects the Senna to the TT Rider 550 as second phone - this enables him to get speed camera alarms and spoken directions to his headset

3.He finally connects his TT to his phone using the wifi hot spot - this enables him to get live services such as traffic etc

4. Oh! and he also uses the head set for bike to bike comms

The only thing he misses is text messages on the GPS - which on safety grounds he doesn't want any way. Not sure if your headset offers the same connections, but if it does it may be a solution for you. He advises me that it doesn't cause any iphone battery issues. He is still recommending to me the 550 as the best current biker SatNav. The real benefit of the 550 seems to be the ability to plan routes and share whilst on the road using an ipad or Tablet - currently with my Rider 2013 I seem to be tied to a windows PC to do this easily.

To be honest I am still undecided whether to upgrade or not.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,584
    Superuser
    Hi @4Time

Go on you know you want to. 😂😂 Who texts these days anyway.

Doug
    Thanks 4Time,

I'll give it a go.
    I must say I thought Bluetooth was a standard thing, like USB, plug n play, so you didn't have to keep p1ssing about setting it up.
    @Ribcracker - I will be interested to learn how you get on and get your updated feedback. I find my current Rider 2013 good, but am attracted to the 550 by the ability to use an ipad to plan / update routes on the road and then transfer to the 550.

If I do decide to make the change I want to do so with my eyes open, then I won't be so frustrated when things don't work.

The other issue I have seen that affects the 550 is the screen going black especially if the device is mounted closer to horizontal than vertical. I understand locking the screen (turning off auto rotate) fixes this - frustrating but I could live with that.

If I only read the feedback on here I would certainly never buy a 550! But on the flip side feedback else where is generally good! my friend still swears by his set up. It matches what he wants to do - bike to bike coms, GPS to headset comms including speed camera alerts, traffic reports + ability to receive tel calls. I can see that if the text message feature is important to you then his set up won't help, I guess nor does it provide ability to play music from your phone. I agree TomTom do need to fix this for iOS or they will lose custom.

Cheers
    @Ribracker CORRECTION TO MY POST ABOVE.

"I guess nor does it provide ability to play music from your phone"

Because the phone is connected to the headset independently in this set up - you will of course be able to play Music, but not sure how it will interact with the TT.

I see that there have been more posts on the topic overnight- it's a hot subject affecting many.
  • MitoMito Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    ¡SOLVED!

Now Garmin XT connects with iOS 13.6 as a charm.
    TomTom "reaver" 550 gone to the basket of "never again".

(By the way, my 17 years old Garmin GPS12 still running. My TomTom One gone to the Week Number Rollover heaven forever... Already said "never again"?)
  • Muppet63Muppet63 Posts: 1 [Novice Seeker]
    I tried iOS 14 beta 2. This has the same problems as iOS 13. I used a iPhone 7. My iPhone 6 with iOS 12 works fine. I hope TomTom comes with a sollution for this issue. I want to use all features.