How to install saved places on the new device? — TomTom Community

How to install saved places on the new device?

Hi,
I bought 5100 GO lifetime maps for EUR 400 four years ago. Now is the battery empty and I cannot load it and the devise is not working. Acc. to Polish hotline of TOMTOM it is not possible to change the battery and I have to buy a new devise for EUR 500. It's typicall: the updates of maps are for free but you have to buy a new devise so they are'nt for free because you must pay for a new devise every 3 - 4 years.
How can I transfer all places from my old devise to a new devise? I completed over 300 locations of my customers.
Thanks and regards

Best Answer

Answers

• MesssondeMesssonde Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks Doug
    I will try to replace the battery by myself.
    I asked some peoples and they told me TomTom blocks elelectronically the device and you can replace the battery but the system will block the whole device. So the battery will be O.K. but you cannot switch on the device. So you are forced to buy a new device.
    Is it true?
    Thanks
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,210
    Superuser
    Hi @Messsonde

No they don’t block it and quite a few have done over the years. How would they know you have changed the battery.

Doug
    Hi,
    my colleague who repairs mobile phones and computers told me all devices are programmed this way that you can load the devise for example 600 times and after that it is not possible to load a device although everthing with the battery is O.K. It seems these blocks are made as a electronical clock in the software of the device.
    In this way we are forced to buy new phones and laptops every two or max. 3 years years instead to use them for many years. If you try to replace the battery of smartphone at the manufacturers service the price is usually 50% of the price of the new ones. It is the true about the care about the environment by big manufacturers.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,210
    Superuser
    Hi @Messsonde

Did he tell you the moon is a balloon 🎈

If that information was correct then if it became public knowledge then the phone manufacturers would be fined billions for Restrictive Practices like VW for trying to trick the tests.

There is no way they could keep that quiet as just 1 disgruntled employee would make a fortune revealing it.

I have changed a battery on one of mine no problem.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,618
    Superusers
    edited August 2020
    Hi
    @Messsonde
    The only device I know of with a countdown clock to end of life, is a Carbon monoxide detector....
    7 years from the time you initiate the device to End of Life and a flashing LED....
    My last one was 7 years to the day on the sales receipt :/

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    thanks both of you.
    I ordered a new battery and will install it in my 5100 and let you know, if it works.
    I hope you are right with the battery life in the phones - otherwise the resulting scandal would be much worse and expensive for the manufactures as VW....