TomTom GO Premium X - No map updates — TomTom Community

TomTom GO Premium X - No map updates

I'm not receiving any map updates on my Tomtom device. The device has 1040.9813 as the version of the europe map. According to this page:
https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013959519-Latest-maps-for-navigation-devices
this is not the latest version. The update menu just claims the device is up to date.

The device also say's it has 2.98 GB free internal memory. No memory card is installed and the Wifi speed is 72Mbps. I also tried to update the device with a USB connection to my pc.

I do get other updates.

How can I update to the latest map?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,000
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Davy_v
    Welcome to the site....
    The restrictions as a result of the Coronavirus, Social Distancing and people working from home, are probably delaying the Activation of Accounts and the Allocation of Maps & Services to Account’/Devices....
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up on Monday and check/correct your Tomtom Account status.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Davy_vDavy_v Posts: 6 [New Seeker]
    So you are saying it should have something to do with my account? I was thinking it was maybe a lack of space on the device.

The device was purchased in September of 2019 and I did already received map updates. However not the version with the speed update in the Netherlands.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,597
    Superuser
    edited July 25
    Hi @Davy_v

As you say you have had updates before then it is likely that the settings for your account on the TT servers are okay. However the reason updates are not offered is more often that not the account settings.

What other maps have you got on it? The reason I ask is I have 3 maps namely latest Europe, UK and N Ireland and Venezuela. and I have 2.8gb of free memory.

Could you try a Soft Reset to see if you are then offered updates.

Make sure the unit is well charged then turn the unit on and when it is ready to use press and hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the drumroll sound then let the button go.

Lets know how you get on.

Doug
    I only have the Europe map on the device.

I tried the soft reset just now (I got the GO Premium X logo and a progress bar in the bottom), but that didn't give me an update yet. The strange thing is, that I think I saw something of an update once, when I got out of my car and the device was powering down, you know the countdown you get when the power is disconnected. But after I turned it back on, there was nothing.

On the system > info, I have for subscriptions only traffic and speed control. Does this normally have to say lifetime maps? If so, maybe it is an account issue.

(Sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology of the system, I'm translating, since the device is in Flemish)
    Superuser
    Hi @Davy_v

One thing you should also check is, with the unit logged into your Wifi , has your unit logged into your My Drive account, so:-

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap My Drive
    Are you asked for a Password if so enter it then its may offer the updates.. Note if it is saying Stop Syncing bottom right don't touch that as that means it is already logged in.

As you only have 1 map on the unit then I suggest that you go into Menu/Settings/Maps/Add a Map and find Venezuela or Iraq. These are very small files ie only about 30mb. Add one of the maps to you unit and it will be loaded on the internal memory and being so small will hardly be noticed.

The benefit of doing this is that the device needs a map on it in order to start up so if during an update of your Main Map you have a problem and lose the map the small map will enable you to run the unit normally and helps when sorting the issue out.

Have you tried a Soft Reset to see if that then helps you get offered an update to your main map. You should be advised when you start the unit if f there are any update.otherwise there will be a red flag on Settings if so go to Updates in Settings..

With the small map on the unit you can go into Maps and select Delete a map and remove the main map then go into Add a Map and load the Europe map. This way you will now have the latest map and in the meantime on Monday @VikramK can check whether your account settings need changing so you are offered the updates in future.

Doug
    I tried the soft reset, and that didn't give me an update. I deleted the Europe map (I installed Iceland first) and downloaded Europe again. Now it is on version 1050.10189.

I'm indeed wondering if there is any issue with my account.
    Superuser
    edited July 28
    Hi @Davy_v

Lets see what Vikram says on Monday re your account settings. Iceland will do nicely and when you are offered updates for it they will be very quick..Also when doing any updates do them one at a time.

Glad you have got the map you want in the meantime maybe time to think about an extra memory card. I would suggest a 16gb or maximum 32gb Micro SD Class 10 card and I suggest you get Sandisk, Samsung or similar major makes as some lesser known cards have had issues obtained from a reliable source to avoid fakes. As the maps get bigger you need to avoid the amount of free memory dropping below 400mb which is really the minimum you should allow as this affects performance.

All the best.

Doug
    Has anyone been able to check my account for issues with the map update?
    Superuser
    Hi @Davy_v

I have flagged this to @VikramK again. Look here tomorrow.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,585 Moderator
    Davy_v wrote: »
    I tried the soft reset, and that didn't give me an update. I deleted the Europe map (I installed Iceland first) and downloaded Europe again. Now it is on version 1050.10189.

I'm indeed wondering if there is any issue with my account.

v1050 is the latest for your device...
    What exactly do you want me to check? All services are active including lifetime map updates...

Thanks, Vikram

Superuser
    Hi @Davy_v

So it seems as though your settings are okay so you will have to wait and see if you are offered the next Map update when it comes out. In the meantime you should get offered the occasional Speed Camera update.

Come back here if you think you still have an issue with updates.

Doug
    Ok, I will keep an eye on future updates and will come back if any issue reoccur.

I did get some updates this week, some community map updates and speed camera updates. However I do believe I received speed camera updates prior to manually updating the map to v1050