I've been charged for a cancelled subscription — TomTom Community

I've been charged for a cancelled subscription

MaryKeltekMaryKeltek Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
On 17/2/20 I paid £1 for special offer speed cameras for my GO 500. Normal price £2.99 per month. Should expire 16/5/20. On 1/4/20 TomTom took £2.99 from my credit card. I managed to get a refund through Facebook Messenger and cancelled the subscription as I bought a new GO Premium with speed cameras included. On 30/7/20 TomTom took another payment of £2.99 for a subscription order I haven't placed. I have tried to get in touch using Messenger but no reply so far. I have cancelled the subscription again. Please help

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,495
    Superusers
    edited August 15
    (Text) Subscriptions now Auto renew….

Hi
    @MaryKeltek
    Welcome to the site...
    What are 'tutors' ???

The Tomtom subscriptions now 'Auto Renew' by default....

Tomtom T&C's....
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/legal/terms-and-conditions/

See T&C's 4.2 Subscriptions, renewals and Free Trials...
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/legal/terms-and-conditions/#4YourAccountandyoursubscriptions

Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...(Normal Office Hours)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

Tomtom FAQ… How to cancel an ongoing service subscription….
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013902260-How-to-cancel-an-ongoing-service-subscription

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • MaryKeltekMaryKeltek Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    edited August 19
    The original subscription 17/2/20 was cancelled 10/4/20 and the unauthorised payment was refunded. No further subscriptions were taken until 30/7/20. It claimed to be for an order which I had not placed. I have found other people with speed camera subscription problems on this forum, including one person who paid and annual subscription and is now being charged monthly as well. Thank you for the info on removing my credit card details. I've tried it and hope it solves the problem. Still haven't been able to get in touch with TomTom. Shouldn't have to go through all this to stop them taking unauthorised payments.
  • goc924goc924 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Tried the above Credit Card cancellation working method, but I did not have any Credit card details registered, since i used Paypal.
    In paypal you have the possibility to cancel any payments to TomTom, which I have now done.
    I paid direct by credit card so can't do the PayPal route. I believe credit card details have now been erased from my TomTom account
    I eventually heard from TomTom (via Facebook Messenger) and they are refunding the payment BUT today I got another TomTom email "Your speed camera subscription stays active" and "Just a quick note to update you on how we have streamlined our service to your convenience. Your speed camera subscription will remain active and continue month-to-month for £ 2.99." I now have a GO Premium with speed cameras included so shouldn't have to pay again. No imaginary order has been raised by TomTom (yet). My (real) April subscription and (imaginary) july subscriptions have both been cancelled. I have sent yet another FB message to TomTom and we will see what happens.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @MaryKeltek
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted (Fingers crossed) :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Not totally sorted - there's still the possibility of yet another unsolicited subscription payment in the pipeline. I'm not the only person having problems with speed camera subscriptions. TomTom seem to have very dodgy accounting software and it gives me concerns for the security of customers' data. trying to work out which organisation to raise a complaint with - Information Commissioner's Office ?
    Superusers
    Hi
    @MaryKeltek
    Found this....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013902260-How-to-cancel-an-ongoing-service-subscription

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @MaryKeltek
    Found this....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

I tried this but my subscription status only ever goes to cancelled, never stopped. It won't die. The subscription is showing status = cancelled, next charge date = 30-08-2020. There are no Options available. On previous cancellation attempts an unauthorised order was raised on the charge date and I have to go through the whole refund process again.
  • MartroeMartroe Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I also got caught with this TomTom underhanded, sneaky, sign you up to a subscription issue.
    They gave me an offer of speed camera updates for £1 in March this year, very nice I thought so took it.
    What I didn't realise that if you buy anything you are automatically subscibed for that service. So, 6 months later I get a notification from PayPal that I have made a payment of £2.99 to TomTom. I quickly accessed my account and found an auto payment for £2.99 monthly had been set up.
    So what they do is offer you something at a huge discount and subscribe you so that when that discounted offer ends you are automatically in for payment at whatever rate is applicable without any offer or discount.
    Took me sometime to sort this out as the details given in PayPal against the transaction are worthless. The UK phone number is out of action (apparently they don't do phone support anymore) and the email address given ([email protected]) is supposed to still work but responses may be delayed. It is over 2 weeks since I emailed them and never got a reply.
    What this has brought to my attention besides the sneaky subscription ploy is Paypal!

I challenged this payment through PayPal as I did not know what it was for and as far as I was concerned it was a fraudulent transaction. They kept asking me for the transaction agreement which I do not have as I never got an email from TomTom when I paid my £1 just a Paypal notification.
    Paypal have been an absolute nightmare but I am glad all it took was £2.99 to find out what an abysmal company they actually are and I will be cancelling my account with them.
    I informed my credit card company of what was going on so had to cancel my card and wait for a new one, and you know what a pain that is.

The cause of much of the inconvenience is TomTom failing to update their contact details that they provide against your paypal transactions leaving you at a dead end initially when trying to contact them.

I will also ditch TomTom at the earliest opportunity.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,168
    Superuser
    Hi @Martroe

As a customer like you I can understand your frustration. There has been some discussion recently as a result I understand some changes to the auto renewal system have been made.

I anticipate within the next week you may receive an email regarding you subscription which I suggest you wait for if you do not get a message please come back here and advise.

It is hoped that whilst the Auto Renewal system is expected to continue it will be clearer as to what is happening and also that you can stop the subs at any time.

I anticipate that if things go as I believe they are going to a resolution to your issue is in sight

Doug
    So far both unauthorised payments have been refunded to my credit card. The unsolicited speed camera subscription is showing cancelled, but the next charge date still shows as 30/8/20. As a precaution my credit card company are blocking all payment requests from TomTom. I am waiting to see what happens. I won't be buying anything from TomTom again - they have lost a customer of many years for the sake of £2.99!