map update — TomTom Community

map update

Hi I have a start 25 which needs a map up date, but i only have 461 mb free space i don't wont to buy the update to find it will not fit on my tomtom

Best Answer

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,202
    Superuser
    Hi @epicjohn.

If you Start 25 has a serial number starting BK then it has been declared obsolete and you will not be able to buy maps etc for it.

If your Start 25 has not been declared obsolete then have you got an extra memory card fitted If not and you have the required extra memory slot then you can install a Micro SD Class 10 memory card maximum size 32gb.

Doug
  • epicjohnepicjohn Posts: 14 [Master Traveler]
    Thanks for your help i think there is a slot for a card but by the time i buy a new card and pay the £40 update perhaps i would be better off buying a new one
    Thanks for your help, was looking at a tomtom start 52 lifetime updates £89.99 any good don't need anything flash
    Superuser
    Hi @epicjohn

The Start52 has one issue. It only uses the Step by Step Search method and this causes problems with U.K. Postcodes. When you enter the Postcode it then asks for the Road Name. In rural areas they often don’t have names and often when you enter a postcode you don’t know the name of the road. If you go for a non Start model then they also have the Quick Search option and this resolves this issue as it does not need the road name.

Doug
    My start 25 does this use the step by step method which has been ok. would i be better with a quick search option could you recommend a budget model thanks for your help
    How about the tomtom go basic this has wifi is that any good £120
    Superuser
    edited August 2
    Hi @epicjohn

The Basic is a good unit with Lifetime Europe maps. If you have good Wifi at home you will be able to update the maps etc without the need for a PC. If your Wifi is slow or you only have a wired PC at home then you will need the PC but it is only used as a connection to the internet as all the management of the updating is done on the GO Basic.

Doug
  • Jack_KingJack_King Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited August 2
    Hi, my XL IQ was offered a lifetime map when purchased, yet the map cannot be updated any more. Any solutions?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,526
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Jack_King
    What are the first 2 Characters of the Serial Number ???

Stay Safe ATB YFM
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,526
    Superusers
    edited August 3
    Hi
    @epicjohn
    epicjohn wrote: »
    My start 25 does this use the step by step method which has been OK. Would I be better with a quick search option could you recommend a budget model thanks for your help
    The Start 25 is a NAV3 Device the Step by Step search engine works fine on the NAV3 Models....
    It's only the NAV4 Start/42/52/62 Range of Models that have the problematic Step by Step search engine....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1630007/#Comment_1630007
    All the previous NAV4 Models and the remaining Models in the NAV5 Range... The Via, GO & GO Premium Ranges, that have both the "Quick search" and "Step by Step search" as menu options....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System --> Choose a search mode....
    Option (1).... Quick Search (Default)
    Always use Quick Search, (The best Search Engine)
    Option (2)... Step by Step Search....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    thanks very much for your help
    @YamFazMan

Hi, thanks, it is GV
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Jack_King
    What are the first 2 Characters of the Serial Number ???

Stay Safe ATB YFM

It is GV, any suggestions?
    Superuser
    Hi @Jack_King

You need to contact Customer Support who should know whether lifetime maps was applicable to that unit and can then seek to help you if it was.

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/

If you have an issue with the link try another web browser.

Doug