Why TomTom charged me for something that I never subscribed for — TomTom Community

Why TomTom charged me for something that I never subscribed for

boronczyk.bartosz_un38boronczyk.bartosz_un38 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Recently received an email stating that I have made payment for speed camera subscription. I did try to find out how or when did I subscribed for that but... I never did. It didn't stop you from taking the payment from my PayPal account which is now unreturnable. My TomTom app comes with speed camera updates automatically, and the other devices I own I did not subscribed for that service. Can some one look into this as it looks like fraud. I have asked through emai but never got any reply. I know it is 2.99 but why??
Regards

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,230
    Superuser
    Hi @boronczyk.bartosz_un38

You will have to contact Customer Support regarding this.

This is a Customer based Forum not a direct link to Tomtom.

Doug
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,955
    Superuser
    @boronczyk.bartosz_un38

Seems that TomTom are relying of section 4 of their T&Cs https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/legal/terms-and-conditions/
    TomTom may also offer you a trial subscription for a paid monthly or fixed subscription, without payment or at a reduced rate (a “Trial Subscription") from time to time and at TomTom’s sole discretion. TomTom has the right to determine the eligibility and revoke or modify the Trial Subscription terms and conditions at any time without prior notice and without liability to You or third parties, to the extent permitted by the applicable law.

If you want to make use of the Trial Subscription, TomTom will require you to provide your preferred payment method. By providing such details, you agree that TomTom may automatically charge you for the paid subscription (either on a recurring monthly or fix basis) on the first day after the end of the trial subscription, You will be informed in advance about the applicable payment, billing cycle and any other relevant detail for such paid subscription. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR THE SUBSCRIPTION ONCE THE TRIAL PERIOD HAS ENDED, YOU MUST CANCEL THE APPLICABLE PAID SUBSCRIPTION BEFORE THE END OF THE TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION AS PER SECTION 4.3.
  • Aaron5113Aaron5113 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I contacted TomTom support on Sunday requesting a refund for that unauthorised payment of £2.99, 5 days on and still no response back.

Those T&C's don't apply to me, I never trialled anything. I will give this a few more days otherwise I will take action by contacting my bank and informing the newspapers.
  • KHollandKHolland Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited July 2020
    I just had the same email. I am NOT HAPPY that TomTom have decided to force a trial subscription on me even if it is only £1 a month so I have CANCELLED it.
    If you follow the My Orders link in their email then you can see the order - go into subscription and cancel it from there.
    I have also stopped all recurring Paypal payments to TomTom .
  • Gary_Wright123Gary_Wright123 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    I have received an email to inform me I have been invoiced for a speed camera update that was not wanted or authorised and my paypal account has been debited without me even having to sign in to it , I am very annoyed this is possible to do, it looks like a scam, i will take this further i will now scrap my tomtom and move to Garmin and recommend my company with over 100 vehicles to to do the same.
  • Gary_Wright123Gary_Wright123 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    also trying to contact anyone at TomTom about this issue is just a joke , no telephone contact possible any more I wonder why ! and the online support seems designed to make you eventually give up, some support !! not really working very well is it.
  • ex_tomtom_userex_tomtom_user Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    1. Cancel your ongoing subscription

2. Contact the support, preferably by chat, and ask for a refund. It will take a while from explaining the situation to finally receiving a confirmational email (30 minutes in my case) so be prepared.

3. If you want to be sure you won't get charged again, delete your bank card details. According to the person from support it goes more or less like this: "to do that, select any product and add it to your basket, on payment page, you shall find a tickbox to save payment details while payment, you can deselect the box to unsave your details". It worked for me.

I'm still not 100% sure if I won't get charged again "by accident". If so, I will contact my bank and block all payments from TomTom.
    In case I don't get the requested refund I might ask my bank to undo the transaction(s) made.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,170 Moderator
    Hi @Aaron5113
    We are sorry about the delay. Just reviewed your case and I see the customer service has responded on your ticket. I will still send them a heads up so the case is been dealt with a priority.

@Gary_Wright123
    There is an option to drop an email during the non-working hours(when LIVE chat is not available), see this topic- https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1124472/contacting-customer-services

~Vikram