My SD card is not recognized — TomTom Community

My SD card is not recognized

MatthiasLMatthiasL Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
edited July 2020 in MyDrive Connect
Randomly my SD cards aren't working, similar to the issues many people have been having. Various fixes and help from 'support' hasn't helped - they ended up hanging up on my chat..

Anyway, this is my last hope - can someone get me a small non-Europe map on my account so I can load that on the main memory and the Europe one on the (brand new bought) SD.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,940
    Superuser
    Hi @MatthiasL

Look back here tomorrow to see if @VikramK has been able to allocate a map to your account.

Doug
  • MatthiasLMatthiasL Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    edited July 2020
    Ok, I think I figured it out. Somewhere in the software there is a corruption that leads to an infinity of multi-RAR files being written to the apparatus (from the TomTom, even after formatting, resetting etc.)

I noticed that everytime the MicroSD was full, and it would look something like this:
    - TomTom.000
    - TomTom.001
    - TomTom.002
    - etc

But ONLY the 2nd file would be an actual compressed file (ie: the starting one). What I did was not delete everything, but simply the rest of them (not sure if I kept .000 or .001) and now it seems to fix it.

If all else fails, try this. I can also guarantee that this is where the software is going haywire, it's looking at the wrong 'starting' RAR.

NB: Don't underestimate the time of this post and my fix as me being shortsighted or not trying hard enough. I spent the last 2 days on this, and was continously formating, rebooting and getting booted by Support. The best one was someone that was trying to help but the chatwindow closed telling me it was after hours. I could hear and see the new messages come in, but the website decided it was closed and I couldn't open them.

Overall, wouldn't recommend TomTom based on this software and support.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,861 Moderator
    Hi @MatthiasL

A smaller map has been activated for your device. Please check for updates in MyDrive Connect.
    Regards, Vikram
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,426
    Superusers
    edited July 2020
    Hi
    @MatthiasL
    Welcome to the site....
    The Memory Card Needs to be a Class 10 Micro SDHC Card 16 GB or 32 GB (Max Size)
    I always use the... SD Card Association Formatting Program for PC & Mac
    Here... https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/index.html
    Then the Card is formatted in the device with a Tomtom proprietary format

I have just cleared the MyDrive Connect Cache... Deleted & Reinstalled the USA Map without a problem

Image of the MDC Cache folder....
    a4rcg1akhw63.jpg
    89 more files go here ... Total 94 files...

vvh9y334a3ig.jpg
    You are seeing the proprietary Tomtom format of the Micro SDHC Card and the proprietary Tomtom filing system....

See High capacity microSD cards SDHC....
    Here... https://www.androidauthority.com/high-capacity-microsd-cards-android-gary-explains-690710/

Which Map were you trying to install... Was it the Full Europe Map ???
    The early Maps fitted easily onto 8 GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8 GB limit on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now 9 GB +

Important See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM