Sync routes from MyDrive account online to phone with TomTom Mobile? — TomTom Community

Sync routes from MyDrive account online to phone with TomTom Mobile?

HaandrikHaandrik Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
Hello.

I made a route on my TomTom MyDrive account online, but when saved it's now showing in the GO app on my phone.
My places get's synchronized but not the routes. It's the same the other way, I made some routes on the phone, but they are not synchronized to MyDrive online and therefor not on my other device (tablet).

If I choose to synchronize the route online as a track, then it shows on my GO mobile as a track under the routes and also on the tablet.

How can I synchronize routes (not tracks), so when made on one device or online are showed on all devices/online?

Under TomTom services on the GO mobile app, under MyDrive Sync it says "Synchronize your destinations, places and routes and see them on all your devices".

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,584
    Superuser
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Haandrik

Firstly I assume you are using an Android phone as the IOS Mobile App does not sync Routes at all.

Re Android I have just to try them loaded the MyDrive App and the Mobile Go App to my Samsung Tablet as I don't have an Android phone.

I have created a Route in MyDrive App and Saved to My Routes. It has appeared in My Routes on the Mobile Go App and on my Go Camper.

The Mobile Go app is gradually syncing routes and has just Synced a Route I have just created and Saved to Routes in the IOS MyDrive app on my phone.

The My Drive Web and App only Saves Routes as Tracks and the route is fixed.. If you Send the Destination then it is a Route in effect as it will recalculate the route when received to ensure it matches the Route settings in my Go Camper etc and for Traffic conditions.

If however you create a route in the Mobile Go app and save the route it is not then a track. If you look in My Routes it has a solid Shaft to the arrow whilst the Tracks have a Dotted Shank to the Arrow. The Solid Shank routes cannot be Synced or Exported and will be lost if you do a Factory Reset..

Doug

• stevertennisonstevertennison Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have been using the app on my Samsung S8 for some time and it has been syncing to my desktop with no problem. Just recently however my phone did a software update with the TomTom app and now whilst it has synced my places I cannot get it to snyc my routes. What is going on? I was going to post this to to TomTom but I can find no way of sending them a message.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,991 Moderator
    Hi @stevertennison

Welcome to the Community! I think you're using the new Go Navigation app for Android according to your latest comment. MyDrive doesn't sync the routes anymore to the new app due to the incompatibility with the new versions of our maps.

MyDrive sync feature (Syncing routes & Send destination to phone from MyDrive) is already being implemented and should be added soon early this year. Although for syncing OV2 files with MyDrive, we're trying to see if it's possible to regain this functionality.

Regards, lampard
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 246 [Exalted Navigator]
    .ov2's can be manually side-loaded to the POIS directory.
  • Wazzabi1972Wazzabi1972 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi @lampard it's now almost march and the new motor cycle season is knokking at the door. So when can we aspect the implementation of the two.
  • JvdZJvdZ Posts: 77 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    ..So when can we aspect the implementation of the two.
    Don't hold your breath and simply sideload the working v1.8.1 and start cruising. ;-)

• JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,708
    Community Manager
    Hi @lampard it's now almost march and the new motor cycle season is knokking at the door. So when can we aspect the implementation of the two.
    We are currently building the sync. We cannot simply re-use the original sync for classic maps as that doesn't work with NDS maps. We're trying to get this out as soon as we can.
    Jürgen wrote: »
    We are currently building the sync. We cannot simply re-use the original sync for classic maps as that doesn't work with NDS maps. We're trying to get this out as soon as we can.
    It shouldn't have been any surprise that this was going to be a pretty big issue before the release of GO V2, as it was stated in several fora as comment on the other NDS version (TomTom NDS v1) already.
    Rollback could/should be the right choice here till the GO v2 app is ready for full blown production mode... no? The even more common sense option would be to leave GO v1.8.1 alone with only bugfixes and release TomTom NDS v1.xx to the whole world to allow for a softer migration and decom GO 1.8 after a while when the NDS version is working as it should.
    ...and ofcourse I do understand the dilemma here for TomTom, but it might cost you when this takes too long.
    I do agree that the new V2 (NDS 1.x) version has potential and use it next to the GO v1.8.1 version for testing, but for the real car/motorcycle trips that require a route with multiple waypoint, I have to use v1.8.1 to allow me to properly prepared the route on the Laptop and then download it without any hassle to my Android phone.
    So all in all I am still a TomTom fan here, and have been for many years, but won't extent any subscription when it's up next month until it is clear what the endstate product and subscriptions are going to be.

Jos
    Right on, Jos!
    Jos, i share your thoughts on the 10the of march i must deside to renew my account when it's not fixed i'm going to look elseware.
    @JvdZ where to look for the version you mention, i can't find it.
    edited March 3
    @JvdZ where to look for the version you mention, i can't find it.
    Google is your friend, look for "com.tomtom.gplay.navapp.nds". ;)

It seems that for some the PlayStore now shows v1.8.1 again instead of 2.x. :o The phone that received the upgrade is now rolled back by an un-install/Install, download of the required map and of course having to set all your prefered settings again.
  • edvinbedvinb Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hello. It is May 5th (2020/05/05). I have been asking about this since end of last year. So my subscription for TomTom, bought last July, is kinda useless now once the season have started! Amazing how fast they solve this really big problem. Might as well disable your app on Play Store!
    Superuser
    Hi @edvinb

As your profile says you only joined this forum today who have you been asking since last year.

Doug
  • DannyBomBomDannyBomBom Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Is there any update on this? I've recently returned to TomTom Go, and found that the MyRoutes feature is missing. When will this be added back?
    Superuser
    Hi @DannyBomBom

Firstly when Tomtom resolve the compatibility issues with the new maps that the latest Apps work with . Tomtom have said they are working on at the moment. Once that is done it will need the approval of Apple to allow it to sync to the App which todate has never been an option. With Android it used to be an option to sync so hopefully that will be restored.

Doug
  • petakpetak Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited June 2

Once you have completed re-building sync and transition to the new maps, will this mean that the dedicated TomTom GPS devices will no longer sync? I have a Via - will it become immediately obsolete losing the MyRoutes sync?.
  • Campbell_GrantCampbell_Grant Posts: 10 [Master Traveler]

Then why the hell did TT release the the new maps knowing "We cannot simply re-use the original sync for classic maps as that doesn't work with NDS maps"?

Who runs the technical decision making, the office cleaner's 10 year old child?
    TT made a business decision which is their right. I accepted that and moved on to a Garmin DriveSmart 65 with Alexa.
  • Campbell_GrantCampbell_Grant Posts: 10 [Master Traveler]
    TT made a business decision which is their right. I accepted that and moved on to a Garmin DriveSmart 65 with Alexa.

Of course ,you are absolutely correct it is TT's legal prerogative to change their product.

However, had I updated my app (which I am constantly pestered to do so) I would have lost the ability to sync. In my opinion this business decision negates the purpose of the TT app. This is evidenced by you having switched to a Garmin product and I am now considering using Google Maps. Not the cleverest of business decisions in my opinion.

As General McAuliffe said, "NUTS"
    What you say is true but we can't change what we can't change. I gave up and am more than satisfied with my decision. Still interested and check back to see if it will at least work as backup alternative. Giant green signboard is still a show stopper.