Where’s the Premium? — TomTom Community

Where’s the Premium?

Looking at the webpage of Tomtom DK the Premium isn’t listed. Is there a new “premium” (or supreme ;-) unit in the works for EU or any hint of a new device?

Answers

• fergussionfergussion Posts: 150 [Exalted Navigator]
    The Premium requires a built in sim for connecting with Live traffic. 2G dis-continuation in DK could well be the reason.
  • 9ck9ck Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks. Wasn’t aware of that there was any specific plans to close down 2G (of course it wouldn’t last forever) - lots of our installations depend on it. If so - Tomtom engineers must be working on a new line which uses 4G or 5G?

It still puzzles me why there’s no Premium on their page. I can buy it in the store. The Essential (which is on Tomtom’s page) use the same 2G technology. I'm in the market for a new unit and just trying to avoid getting a unit which may be replaced shortly - especially if it turns out not to be future proof more than a year or two.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,096
    Superuser
    Hi @9ck

I think you will find the Essential does not have an inbuilt Mobile Sim as it certainly does not in the UK.

On the Danish website it says "TomTom-tjenester via smartphone" if you open the specs it is the last Unit image on the right that has that.

I think @fergussion was assuming 2G was no longer available so they are not offering you the Premium as they don't on Australia because they have ditched 2G. There as in the US the the Supreme, which is the Premium without the inbuilt Mobile Sim, is offered.

Doug
    Thanks Doug. You’re right. Bummer - no inbuilt sim :-( in the future? I’ve been soo pleased with my GO 5200 (still working - just gave it to my father in-law as he needed a good GPS).
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,096
    Superuser
    Hi @9ck

Is it possible to get one from Amazon as they are available in The Netherlands, Germany and Sweden. It maybe if you can connect to the Chat line they may be able to get one sent to you..

Don't know what Denmarks done to deserve this..

Doug
    edited July 2020
    Sorry - Maybe I’ve not been clear. I can get both the Premium and the GO 5200 here in DK - but if the 2G is discontinued in EU or some countries in EU - I don’t see neither of these units as future proof for more than a year or two - apparently neither does Tomtom (since they taken the units with built-in sim card out of their product line). If I’m going to buy a new unit it would have to be with life-time map and traffic-info + speed cameras and preferably without the need of connecting to a mobile phone.

Would Tomtom be so user-friendly that they maybe update the SW of the Premium and GO 5200/6200 so the also can get the traffic-info from a mobile phone? That would be a nice gesture to their costumers which have bought a lifetime unit and haven't been aware of that the discontinuation of 2G will result in a unit with all of the intelligent functions ”out of order”.