Map location on device — TomTom Community

Map location on device

Go seems to install the maps in the device memory rather than the SD card (as a lot of apps do). As the maps are so large, over 8GB for Europe is it possible to move them to the SD card in the phone.

I know that on any one trip I do not need the whole of Europe however accessing the download system even on my very fast connection is very slow so I do not want to keep deleting and adding them.

TIA for any answers

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,045 Moderator
    Hi @philippercival

Unfortunately, this isn't currently possible. The app always selects the most appropriate storage during the first run of the app. This is based on the most available space left on either the SD card (if inserted) or internal storage. We'll explore this option further with our development team.

Regards, lampard
  • NilsiboyNilsiboy Posts: 30 [Legendary Explorer]
    I think the best solution is: delete TT and then fill your internal memory with memory-wasting videos or so - till the amount of memory space there is less then at the sd-card. Then install TT again. Delete the videos :-)
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 248 [Exalted Navigator]
    Too many variables to just pick the location with the most room. An SD card may have the most available space but may also be old and slow. It that situation, I believe that if TT was an often used app where one wished optimal performance, installing to faster internal memory would be preferred.

Kind of like telling one what to put in their garage, their car or other things. Suggestions are okay but let the user make the ultimate choice. For example, my phone allows me to pick where to save photos and videos. I chose the SD Card. When I had a choice with TT, I always picked Internal as it used to be faster. Now I don't care as I have 128gb Internal and 256gb External, both newer and fast, with plenty of room on either.
    Where does a CLEAN install of 2.0.7 install its data/maps? Has me stumped.
  • JvdZJvdZ Posts: 77 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    edited March 14
    On my Samsung Galaxy for v1.7.x, so maybe the same for 2.0.X?: Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp.nds/files/NdsMaps/WORLD/DATA/00000028/00015135/04602521 and then multiple directories.
    Thanks. But, that's where i thought they would be. My 2.0.7 is installed to Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/ (note: no .nds) and the Files sub-directory only has /ServiceConnectors.

The hunt goes on.
    More exploring:

I have also tried android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp/files/files/personal/pois and that does not work either. Matter of fact, I have a pois directory now copied all over the place on my phone.

I have started de-compiling my most important POI ov2's, editing them in Excel, and saving them as .txt files. Although an annoying solution. I can open the .txt, copy the geo coordinates, paste them into the TomTom search window, and then GO.

Find it stunning that TT won't at least have a Search function in MyPlaces Contacts. So many ways to fix this but nuth'n happening.

I note this is regarding 2.0.7. 1.18.1 worked fine until I totally deleted it to force an install to Main Memory as Go kept crashing. Sideloading POI's in the earlier versions of 2.0 worked but not for me anymore. Not making the effort to return to 1.18.1 as my subscription expires in ten days. Up a creek without a paddle.
  • Djf99Djf99 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi @philippercival

Unfortunately, this isn't currently possible. The app always selects the most appropriate storage during the first run of the app. This is based on the most available space left on either the SD card (if inserted) or internal storage. We'll explore this option further with our development team.

Regards, lampard

Since the latest upgrade this doesn't appear to work. I suspect this might because I am using extended storage (using sd card as internal storage). Map download just fills the internal storage and crashes the app even though there is lots of space on the ad card. app is now completely useless
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,045 Moderator
    Hi @Djf99

Welcome to the Community! Can you please provide more details about your smartphone? Such as the phone model, Android version, and SD card details(Name & Class). Did you receive a direct update from version 1.18.1 to 2.2.1? or did you have the version 2.1.1 installed earlier on the phone?

Thanks, lampard
  • Djf99Djf99 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi @Djf99

Welcome to the Community! Can you please provide more details about your smartphone? Such as the phone model, Android version, and SD card details(Name & Class). Did you receive a direct update from version 1.18.1 to 2.2.1? or did you have the version 2.1.1 installed earlier on the phone?

Thanks, lampard

Moto G 2nd gen
    Android version 6
    SanDisk 32gb class 10
    I think it was a direct update from 1.18.1

Thanks