Suggestion / Feedback: option to hide Points of Interests (in map view) — TomTom Community

Suggestion / Feedback: option to hide Points of Interests (in map view)

Sahin96Sahin96 Posts: 12 [Master Traveler]
Hello,

As the title suggests I think it could be interesting to give users the option to hide Points of Interests while in map view.

For a living I, almost daily, drive (generally) in one particular city/area. I have quite a good amount of Points of Interest (which I gladly and regularly make use of), but a big downside of that is that the symbol for each POI takes up quite a bit of space in map view.

As a matter of fact, map view becomes quite unusable for my liking; I can't properly read the map and read the city no more. Traffic jams, obstruction; I'd really like to see the "breathing" of the city.

It is possible to delete Points of Interests, sure, but given that I like to make use of them I'd like to see an option where I can hide them, whilst they still show up when searched for of course.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,528
    Superusers
    edited July 8
    Hi
    @Sahin96
    Welcome to the site....
    To clear the screen clutter you can create a Personal POI Category of your MyPlaces to replace the MyPlaces list, and their Icons on your device

Or even Create Multiple Personal POI Categories as required ....

Many users have asked for the facility to backup their MyPlaces to a PC
    The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner....
    i.e... the Tomtom Cloud
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

The MyDrive Route planner allows you to download your data from the Tomtom Cloud
    3d6xrq52c0wz.png
    The file looks like unusable Gobbledegook, but the MyPlaces can be found in the file
    Click on image to enlarge....
    x3keyqdqe377.png

User Ethoz....
    Posted a link to a excellent Tomtom MyPlaces to .Ov2 POI file converter tool
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://chbworld.net/software/tomtompoi.html&prev=search

There's a Mac & PC version ....

Download and install TomtomPOI.exe from the above link
    Note... I have Virus checked the file with Avast Anti Virus all OK
    Run TomtomPOI

Ist Click on Open...
    948al3lvjrtz.jpg
    A New Filer Window opens
    Find & Select the (Your user name goes here)_MyDrive.json.gz file
    Saved from the Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner
    Click on the 'Open' Box

wszajd139ty2.jpg
    2nd Click on Copy
    bsndf6o7jzm7.jpg
    3rd Click on Yes
    5567983e-03cb-46bc-a0f8-c09e5d822af2.png
    4th Click on Yes
    0d841302-e88f-4af0-bb4a-764126dc21d6.png
    5th Click on Save
    a8fe2080-c483-47ce-b413-b1606cd50aba.png
    Name the .Ov2 file & Save to the PC Desktop

Install your Personal POI Category....

Installing 3rd party POI Categories... You use the MyDrive Web Route planner

See Tomtom Video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive

If Required... Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the 5 Tomtom supplied generic Icons....

13s1zlb8gssy.jpg
    But you can use one icon for for more than one POI category i.e... place all your fuel categories under one Icon, then if you tap on a nearby 'say' Fuel Icon a Quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot Icon for more options & more Information

Setup... After installing your Personal or 3rd party POIs....Tap 4Dot (....Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Show POI lists on the Map
    It says a restart is required, but I've never found it to be necessary
    After choosing the Generic Icon.. Tap the coloured (^) Icon screen top right... Pinch zoom the Map, the Generic POI Icons all appear live and working
    Note... The Generic POI Icons disappear when the Map is highly zoomed out (I guess so you can scroll around a clear Map to find your location)
    The Icon reappear as you zoom back in again

Here the Yellow Pentagon Icons --> National Trust
    fwsmyemsot57.jpg

Maybe Useful... Searching an installed 3rd party POI Category....
    The search engine is excellent you usually only need to type around three characters of the POI name for a hit...
    For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POI's for the National Trust... To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, work your way down to option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type Dud (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list)
    Tap on the offered Dudmaston Hall and select the Drive Icon

fvvl1hj389eu.jpg
    You also have two further options.....
    After the initial "National Trust" POI selection
    There's a dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

o7rx4qycdyey.jpg
    (1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range its easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen)
    as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

An example of the generic Icons on the search screen, the Icons are dynamic so the closer you zoom more icons appear

j381fa0ut3qg.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Sahin96Sahin96 Posts: 12 [Master Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Sahin96
    Welcome to the site....
    To clear the screen clutter you can create a Personal POI Category of your MyPlaces to replace the MyPlaces list, and their Icons on your device

Or even Create Multiple Personal POI Categories as required ....

Many users have asked for the facility to backup their MyPlaces to a PC
    The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner....
    i.e... the Tomtom Cloud

The MyDrive Route planner allows you to download your data from the Tomtom Cloud
    3d6xrq52c0wz.png
    The file looks like unusable Gobbledegook, but the MyPlaces can be found in the file
    Click on image to enlarge....
    x3keyqdqe377.png

User Ethoz....
    Posted a link to a excellent Tomtom MyPlaces to .Ov2 POI file converter tool
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://chbworld.net/software/tomtompoi.html&prev=search

There's a Mac & PC version ....

Download and install TomtomPOI.exe from the above link
    Note... I have Virus checked the file with Avast Anti Virus all OK
    Run TomtomPOI

Ist Click on Open...
    948al3lvjrtz.jpg
    A New Filer Window opens
    Find & Select the (Your user name goes here)_MyDrive.json.gz file
    Saved from the Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner
    Click on the 'Open' Box

wszajd139ty2.jpg
    2nd Click on Copy
    bsndf6o7jzm7.jpg
    3rd Click on Yes
    5567983e-03cb-46bc-a0f8-c09e5d822af2.png
    4th Click on Yes
    0d841302-e88f-4af0-bb4a-764126dc21d6.png
    5th Click on Save
    a8fe2080-c483-47ce-b413-b1606cd50aba.png
    Name the .Ov2 file & Save to the PC Desktop

Install your Personal POI Category....

Installing 3rd party POI Categories... You use the MyDrive Web Route planner

See Tomtom Video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive

If Required... Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the 5 Tomtom supplied generic Icons....

13s1zlb8gssy.jpg
    But you can use one icon for for more than one POI category i.e... place all your fuel categories under one Icon, then if you tap on a nearby 'say' Fuel Icon a Quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot Icon for more options & more Information

Setup... After installing your Personal or 3rd party POIs....Tap 4Dot (....Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Show POI lists on the Map
    It says a restart is required, but I've never found it to be necessary
    After choosing the Generic Icon.. Tap the coloured (^) Icon screen top right... Pinch zoom the Map, the Generic POI Icons all appear live and working
    Note... The Generic POI Icons disappear when the Map is highly zoomed out (I guess so you can scroll around a clear Map to find your location)
    The Icon reappear as you zoom back in again

Here the Yellow Pentagon Icons --> National Trust
    fwsmyemsot57.jpg

Maybe Useful... Searching an installed 3rd party POI Category....
    The search engine is excellent you usually only need to type around three characters of the POI name for a hit...
    For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POI's for the National Trust... To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, work your way down to option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type Dud (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list)
    Tap on the offered Dudmaston Hall and select the Drive Icon

fvvl1hj389eu.jpg
    You also have two further options.....
    After the initial "National Trust" POI selection
    There's a dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

o7rx4qycdyey.jpg
    (1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range its easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen)
    as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

An example of the generic Icons on the search screen, the Icons are dynamic so the closer you zoom more icons appear

j381fa0ut3qg.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Thanks for the detailed answer. I must say it all looked quite promising until I saw the last image on the bottom of your comment; it looks like there are still going to be icons on the map, although a good bit smaller. Is that correct?

Perhaps I'll give it a try if I'm sure I can successfully back up my POI's, but in all honesty I'm not really sure if it will make a huge difference for me, given that there are still icons on the screen.

I intend to have the map view open while driving, so I'd really appreciate a clean map.

Nevertheless, thanks for the reply.
    Superusers
    edited July 8
    Hi
    @Sahin96
    The Driving View screen will be clear of MyPlaces Icons unless YOU choose to display them....
    The Icons on the final Image ONLY appear on on the North-up Overview planning Map
    The Icons are dynamic so they change with the zoom level and the screen doesn't appear overwhelmed with Icons

Note... To Toggle the Driving View & North-up Overview planning Map
    Tap the Direction of Travel Icon above the + & -- Signs...

7d1gv1o8xy06.png

ATB YFM
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 12,667
    Superusers
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Go Mobile app doesn't support Poi Icons, unless you put them locally on your smartphone.
    Therefore, the tip from JamFazMan should help because the Poi are only displayed during the search.
    gzoz855vw5d1.jpg
    Superusers
    Hi Lochfrass & Sahin96
    Opps...I didn't notice TomTom GO Mobile App for Android header...
    The Post is really meant for the NAV4 & NAV5 (WiFi) PND Devices
    But all is not lost if it can be adapted to use with the Apps

ATB YFM
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 12,667
    Superusers
    But it should work on the App 1.18 too ;)
    The procedure is the same.
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Lochfrass wrote: »

Thanks for the help, @YamFazMan & @Lochfrass

I'm going to give it a try, nothing to lose I guess, assuming the back up goes successful.

I'm going to look up MyDrive first, seems to be the key.

Thanks!
    Lochfrass wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Go Mobile app doesn't support Poi Icons, unless you put them locally on your smartphone.
    Therefore, the tip from JamFazMan should help because the Poi are only displayed during the search.
    gzoz855vw5d1.jpg

I hoped the solution would have been as simple as only adding POI's through MyDrive, but sadly in this specific case the POI added in MyDrive shows up in Go while driving around in map view. Thanks for the suggestion nevertheless.