Rider (2013) Soft / Factory Reset — TomTom Community

Rider (2013) Soft / Factory Reset

4Time4Time Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
Hi @DougLap,

One of your recommendation was "do all updates one at a time and at the end do a Soft Reset which tidies the files up on the device.."

I know this is a dumb question, but am I correct to understand that you do this by selecting the "Reset factory settings" from the Options menu?

In the manual it makes ref to this deleting POI locations . I just want to make sure I don't delete the TomTom Camera updates and screw up again! I'm thinking it won't, but just wanted to check. I am OK with loading up my own POIs again.

Also hoping that clarification of when to use and what a "Reset factory settings" does may be of help to others in the future.

Extract rom manual….
This is not a software update and will not affect the version of the software application installed on your device.
Important: This feature deletes all your personal settings! If you want to keep your personal information and settings, you should perform a full backup of your device before you reset the device. You can then restore all your personal information and settings after you reset the device. This includes items such as your Home and Favorite locations, your personal menu and your POI categories and POI locations.

Thanks for your continued patience and help.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,389
    Superuser
    edited June 26 Accepted Answer
    Hi @4Time

No a Soft Reset is when the unit is on you hold the On/Off button down for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the drumroll sound then let the button go.It just tidies up the units files.

The Reset Factory Settings returns the unit to how it was when first taken out of the box except current map and operating system version etc will stay the same. Its what you would do if you gave the unit to someone else so that all your data has been removed otherwise it is ready to be operated by the new owner just as you are using it. It will still qualify for all the updates such s Lifetime maps if it is appropriate.

Doug

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,389
    Superuser
    edited June 26 Accepted Answer
    Hi @4Time

No a Soft Reset is when the unit is on you hold the On/Off button down for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the drumroll sound then let the button go.It just tidies up the units files.

The Reset Factory Settings returns the unit to how it was when first taken out of the box except current map and operating system version etc will stay the same. Its what you would do if you gave the unit to someone else so that all your data has been removed otherwise it is ready to be operated by the new owner just as you are using it. It will still qualify for all the updates such s Lifetime maps if it is appropriate.

Doug
  • 4Time4Time Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    @DougLap Many thanks - just as I well checked :)
  • kumokumo Posts: 6,822
    Superusers
    edited June 27
    Addendum:
    Rider 2013 has no internal speaker and you won't hear a drumroll sound. Just release the button as soon as you see the TomTom logo.
  • 4Time4Time Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    @kumo,
    Hi Kumo, thanks for the clarification.
    Updates on TomTom Home now seem to be working perfectly as is the unit itself. Currently working out how to upload routes from the TomTom mydrive app to the Rider 2013. Worked out how to do it from a PC - but still experimenting with how to do whilst away travelling on the road from an Android tablet and an on-the- go cable or from an ipad . The latter which seems unlikely. I'll look to start a new post on this.