Start 60 does not recognise new 16 g SD card — TomTom Community

Start 60 does not recognise new 16 g SD card

When updating to new maps, device does not have enough storage capacity. I bought a new 16g micro sd HCI card, formated, but device does not recognise the new card.
What do I have to do so device recognises new card?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,087
    Superusers
    edited June 25
    HI
    @Manxel
    Welcome to the site...
    Tomtom NAV3 NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices use....
    A Class 10 Micro SDHC 16GB or 32GB (Max) memory card....
    The Memory card MUST be formatted FAT32 (Preferably not Quick format)
    Then Formatted in the device to a Tomtom Proprietary Format to store Maps....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Mal_GreenMal_Green Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    I have the same issue. I cannot install the recent map update as MyDrive is saying I do not have enough memory even though I have deleted everything possible so I have tried expanding the memory and purchased a Transcend Class 10 SDHC 32GB card. I have fully formated (FAT32) I then installed in to mt device and then went to system;format memory card then select format card (nothing actually seems to happens and takes me back to the system screen. When I then connect my device to my PC and then open mydrive I can only see the available free memory on my device (227MB). Where it shows the free memory for the memory card this is grayed out and shows nothing! So i assume it does not recognise the card (or faulty?!).

Hope you can help as desperately want to install the new map!

Thanks
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,623
    Superuser
    Hi @Mal_Green

Assuming you have full pushed the card in until it clicks some cards seem to be an issue. Sandisk, and Samsung from a reliable source seem okay. I would have assumed Transcend would be okay but it may be the issue unless it is a fake or faulty.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,087
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Mal_Green
    Welcome to the site....
    With your Transcend Class 10 SDHC 32GB card installed....
    Try a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If you want to be 100% sure about your Transcend 32gb micro SDHC Memory card

Maybe You have a Counterfeit Micro SD Card ???
    There are lots of Videos on-line... How to identify a FAKE Micro SD Memory Card... Just Google 'Counterfeit Micro SD Cards'
    They can be very visually very convincing

I downloaded the Micro SD Card Test Program 'H2testw' from Softpedia
    It generates and copies 1GB files to the card until the card is full + Checks the Read/Write speed
    Here... https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml
    Note... The program 'H2testw' checked out as Virus free... Using Avast AV & Malwarebytes

program copies 1GB files to the card until the card is full + Checks the Read/Write speed
    A formated 16GB card should hold around 15ish of the 1GB files to fill the Card and 31ish files to fill a 32GB Card
    The Fake cards have software installed, that fools the PC into repeatedly over writing the data on a much smaller Memory card, giving the impression its much larger than it is in reality...

Luckily all my cards check out OK
    Use the above at your own discretion...

Test results... My 16GB Toshiba SDHC Card
    Warning: Only 14915 of 14916 MByte tested.
    Test finished without errors.
    You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
    Writing speed: 15.4 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 18.8 MByte/s
    H2testw v1.4
    Installed 1GB Flles = 15

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thank you for your replies, the SD certainly clicks home when inserted. As for a fake, that I cannot be sure off as I cannot remember where I purchased it from, all I can say is that It is recognised by my PC and have been using a while for largish MP4 files and had no problems. So not quite understand, even if a fake, why i cannot get it show up in mydrive?

I don't particularly want to buy a new SD card if I have the same problem :-(

Just to give you an update, this morning I turned my device on and it came up with a message saying do I want to format my SD card! for some strange reason it is now recognising it!

Thanks for your replies!

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,623
    Superuser
    edited July 5
    Hi @Mal_Green

Glad you are sorted. Don’t think it will be appreciated if I suggest to others they try turning the unit on tomorrow as a solution. Nice to know it could work. 😂😂😂😂

Doug