How Do I Turn Off Intelligent Routing? — TomTom Community

How Do I Turn Off Intelligent Routing?

TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 87 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
Guys,
Intelligent Routing isn't working for me on either my Rider 550 or 520.. I am not a White Van Man nor a Traveling Salesman so can tolerate being stopped for a few seconds.

I am totally hacked off by the Intelligent Routing taking me off the road that actually goes through my destination to then have to hack my way along little tracks and through cramped housing estate roads to pop out on to the original road more often than not at a very difficult junction. I've been taken two sides of a triangle just to save a few yards of 30 mph road. Those two sides may have been rated 60mph on paper but the reality was barely 25mph.

On a route up from Poole in Dorset to Salisbury the route got narrower and narrower and not much wider that my bike. These roads had heaps of gravel down the middle, mud everywhere, had blind corners and I was expecting a tractor any moment.

Really need an OFF option on the Intelligent Routing. Failing this a "No Nasty Little Roads" option.

A long drive at the mercy of the Intelligent Routing feature is really exhausting and potentially lethal. Have never fully understood the "Eco Routing", never used it. I need an option that will offer "An Easy Route" which stick to the bigger roads with no rat-running.

I seem to pass too many signs telling me "DON'T FOLLOW SATNAV" because there be Dragons or more usually impossible little roads.

Agreed there's a "No unmade roads" option which for me is on because like many bikes my tyres aren't suitable.

I do not believe there is user data available yet to support most of these clever routes. It is likely that the algorithm only has the mapping data available. By default these nasty little tracks are set to 60mph so get favoured as faster routes. In my experience many of these route max out nearer 25mph.

The "Shortest Route" is similarly useless again because of poor mapping data where what was once the old road and is now a big layby is recorded as being so short it defaults to zero length so that's the way route takes. One "shortest route" took me off the main road to a junction, right under the main road then left back onto that same busy main road at a real dangerous of junction.

The "Fastest Route" can be similarly frustrating defaulting to the very long way via motorway just to save a few minutes. This faster route can turn into a car park in an instant so isn't worth the few minutes saved. Avoiding Payages (Tolls) in France forced me off every free motorway and back onto the nasty little roads. Useless!

I remain convinced that these clever Tom Tom people are sat in their offices patting themselves on their back for being oh so clever but never get out here and find out how frustrating their kit can be.

Could do a lot better.

So, I am open to suggestions and if anybody here has the ear of those TomTom people please feel free to give them a real ear bashing until they agree to listen to their users and improve their products for drivers NOT managers sat in offices.

And another thing... I'm hacked off with their customer surveys that only ask about how much I love and have confidence in the Corporate TomTom and not ask anything about the products.

Comments

• TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 87 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Guys, by way of explanation... This thread has been stuck in drafts for ages until today I find I'm not allowed to use the words like "b i t c h" or the term "c r a p p y little roads".

Hmmmm!
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 749
    Superuser
    Selecting “Fastest route” & avoid unpaved roads may help a bit. During your ride you may also select to avoid part of the route (personally I never did it...) or find an alternative.

If you don’t like surprises, the best is to prepare / design carefully your route before traveling using tools like Tyre or MyRoute-app.

Many posts here describe how to do it properly...

I wouldn’t hope for anything better anytime soon. Autonomous navigation may also benefit simpler applications like that by improving map quality (and other data) but it’s far far away too...
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 256 [Exalted Navigator]
    I often encounter this issue where it turns off a 30mph (or kph in Spain or France) main road. I've complained about it on this forum.

I notice this usually occurs when a side road has no speed limit on the map. The TomTom routing algorithm must assume a value for the speed, what that value is, I don't know. Knowing TomTom it could be the national speed limit, or even the speed of light!

I generally have a basic knowledge of the route I'm taking, so a turning off down into a housing estate off the main road through a town always gets me thinking the above. Sometimes on the map if I'm lucky, I can see it's going to rejoin the main road further ahead.

It's all part of the TomTom user experience!
  • TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 87 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited June 18
    @ChrisHall , yep you've it in one. The solution is to know where you are. This is beyond tricky as a Brit in the middle of nowhere in darkest France or indeed darkest UK.

Once, in the last mile to the hotel it was left over a very small bridge, through a park (nice little park) then right over an even smaller bridge back onto the original road just to save 150 yards of in-town traffic calming bumps. Clearly madness and totally defeating getting drivers to slow down. This could also have got me fined.

Adding a general avoidance of any main road that also goes through a bit of town or village gets you constantly off-pist along nightmare little roads and arriving exhausted.

Clearly, once all the trip data gets back the routing will evolve but folk don't or won't share their data or go into rally mode to make the time up. If the map data providers weren't so lazy and detailed safe speeds for the little roads we'd move on. But they don't.

I really need to turn off intelligent routing or just a no "C" roads or equivalent mode. The fact that TomTom have obsoleted off the old and slow SatNavs that worked the way I want is a double blow.