How to activate lifetime EU maps on new TOMTOM GO Essential 5 — TomTom Community

How to activate lifetime EU maps on new TOMTOM GO Essential 5

nigel69nigel69 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
i have registered the devise on TomTom MyDrive and updated it but the maps are still 21 months old
"Europe" v1015.9098

Best Answer

Answers

• TorbenSkottTorbenSkott Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Same problem here.
    Soft reset doesn't make any change..
    Should the lifetime map be activated?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,664
    Superuser
    Hi @TorbenSkott

Hopefully @lampard or @VikramK can review your account and sort out the Lifetime settings if necessary on your account. They will not be back until after the May Day holiday.

Doug
  • Harvey3Harvey3 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have the same problem, Brand new Tomtom go basic wifi but latest maps are 2018. Have tried reset but no new maps.
  • nigel69nigel69 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Try putting the totmtom on charge untill its fully charged and try to update it thats what worked for me
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,051
    Superusers
    edited May 4
    Hi
    @Harvey3
    Welcome to the site....
    Harvey3 wrote: »
    I have the same problem, Brand new Tomtom go basic wifi but latest maps are 2018. Have tried reset but no new maps.
    I guess at Tomtom its like everywhere else....
    The restrictions as a result of the Corona Virus, Social Distancing and people working from home, is probably delaying the Activation of Accounts and the Allocation of Maps & Services to Accounts/Devices....
    + Monday being a National Holiday....
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up on Tuesday and check your Map Registration Status....

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi....
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB....

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps

Connecting hard-wired over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    Updating your new device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here..... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12428
    Install and Run MyDrive Connect
    There's no need to login to MyDrive Connect... See Note... (1)
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    The Update will hopefully complete

If your using a Laptop it would be also more advisable to use a hard-wire connection back from the Laptop to the Router....

Note... (1) MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc....

27bxc59f2s23.png
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,594 Moderator
    edited May 4
    Hey @TorbenSkott @Harvey3

Welcome to the community!

Could you send me the serial number through a private message, please?
    Thanks, Vikram
  • ExxarExxar Posts: 4 [Novice Seeker]
    Same problem here with a brand new Rider 500.
    I'm stuck with a Europe map thats 2 years old...
    Superuser
    Hi @Exxar

See if @VikramK responds tomorrow.

Doug
    Hi @Exxar
    Could you check for updates now?
    Thanks, Vikram
  • ExxarExxar Posts: 4 [Novice Seeker]
    Thanks VikramK!
    I'm updating to the latest map now.
  • LezlikeLezlike Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello everyone!
    I bought a used Tomtom GO Basic 5 inch device with a lifetime upgrade but the seller is approx. took it a year ago and did not register it within three months. I tried to update but only offered software and a speed camera, not a map. It can also only be via wifi. MyDrive Connect recognizes but also writes that it needs wifi.
    Is it possible to start something with this, or will this map v1005 stay on it forever?
    Thanks in advance!
    @Lezlike
    Did you contact the customer service already?
    I see the map update subscription has been sorted for your GO BASIC device.

Thanks, Vikram
    Superuser
    edited May 14
    Hi @Lezlike

The GO Basic is designed to be updated etc by direct connection to Wifi however you can connect the device to a PC with My Drive Connect Running on it to update it if for example you do not have Wifi in your house for health reasons or the Wifi download speed is slowish. When you have connected the unit to your PC and got the message to use Wifi all you do is ignore the message and keep connected using the Menu options on the GO Basic to manage the updating. You are only using the Connection to the PC with My Drive Connect running as a connection to the internet and you, although I would not recommend it, could use your PC normally whilst the GO Basic is updating in the background.

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard can review your account and sort out the lifetime Maps for you. Have a look back here later to see what they have to say.

Doug
  • LezlikeLezlike Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi everyone!
    Thanks for the help, the lifetime update has been activated! I'm now uploading the latest map to my device!
    Have a nice day, productive work Tomtom!
    Superuser
    Hi @Lezlike

Glad you are sorted.

Doug
  • DubliciDublici Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello . about a week ago I bought a tototm go essential 6 device and I can't update my maps. the latest version is 07.2019 (Europe v.1035.9662)
    you have no idea how I can do this
    The manual reads "Lifetime European Maps"
    Superuser
    Hi @Dublici

In addition to Lochfrass's comments against your other question it is possible that @VikramK may pick this up and sort your account out so have a look back here on Monday when he is on the forum.

Doug
  • BanjerHenkBanjerHenk Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Hello . about a week ago I bought a tototm go essential 5 device and I can't update my maps. the latest version is 07.2019 (Europe v.1035.9662)'

you have no idea how I can do this
    I already have reset my device : no results
    I have removed the Home3 and My drive Connect folder: no results
    Superuser
    Hi @BanjerHenk

Unfortunately it appears that during the current events and staff working from home some accounts are not being set up correctly or as quickly as normal.

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard can review your account and sort it out so the updates become available. They have not been online today but I assume they will be tomorrow. Keep a look here and see if they advise you what to do.

Doug
    Hi @Dublici @BanjerHenk

Can't find a device linked to your account. Could you send me the serial number through a
    PM, please?

Regards
    Vikram
    @BanjerHenk

Thanks for sending the serial number. Please check for updates now.

~Vikram
  • BanjerHenkBanjerHenk Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Hi @VikramK

Thanks for the help, the lifetime update has been activated! I' have now the latest map to my device!
  • tango55tango55 Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi everyone,
    my go basic does not update the map with wi fi. Connected to the pc with usb it tells me that it is paid and not lifetime. Who can help me?z8l3uce9kk9w.jpg
    Superuser
    Hi @tango55

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard will pick this up on Monday and have a look at your account and make any changes necessary. Have a look back then.

Doug